01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Your summer cellar

Just wondered if it might be nice to start a thread on what everyone was stocking up on for summer? I always find I have a cabinet full of weighty winter reds that I’m trying to get through so I can get other things in before the weather warms up. Anyway, here is my summer stock:

TWS
Fevre Chablis 2016
Stopham PG 2015
Trimbach Riesling 2016
Etna Rosso “Carusu” 2014
Thymiopoulos Rapsani 2015

Non TWS
Auntsfield SB 2017
Gunderloch Niersteiner 2017 (if delivered soon!)
Circe Mornington PN 2016
Paddy Borthwick Wairarapa PN 2015
David and Nadia Pinotage 2016

Thinking of some Bojo, Loire SB and decent rose but otherwise pretty much sorted and don’t like taking deliveries in hot weather.

Good idea this! I have far too many heavy reds that will continue to slumber peacefully throughout the summer months, and have spent too little time and energy (and cash!) on whites, although recently put The 2015 Pernand-Vergelesses Case into reserves.

That said, I have a healthy stock of bubbles squirrelled away for those long summer evenings…

NEVER!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:!
You ARE the bubble king after all :wink::yum:!

I’m not ashamed to say that while you were typing that…I was eyeing up some Lilbert

I also have some Zilliken in my basket thanks to the exuberance of the member reviews!

:wink:

Thanks for starting this post Jcbi really good idea

I am afraid my wine does not last very long in my house to build a cellar but I am always looking for ideas for summer reds. I mostly go for Pinot Noir on the reds and Reisling on the white style wines but looking for some fresh ideas.

Dave

Our summer road trip at the end of this month will take in Rioja, Bordeaux and Bergerac/Montbazillac, driving through the Loire to get back to port. So those will form the backbone of our wine purchases this summer. We are also short of Alsace whites which I am sure a trip to a supermarche will resolve for us!

We’re usually well-stocked on whites, though I shall be adding more Verdejo, Albariño and Vermentino to the rack, for sure. We need to stock up on more rosés too. I love ones from Navarra, and ones made from Bobal - but also love Tavel, and Sancerre. I am on the look out for ones made from Pineau d’Aunis, as per @NickFoster and @Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis’s suggestion on a different thread.

As for reds - already added some Frappato, Nerello Mascalese, Cabernet Franc and Beaujolais to the rack. I recently got a voucher for a local wine merchant as a birthday present, so will be looking for some Austrian reds in their shop one of these fine days. They sell a delightful red blend from Ecker Eckhof, which I had before and will get again. It’s not quite as ‘summery’ light as a pure Zweigelt or St Laurent- as it’s got a bit of weight from Cab Sauv and bottle age, but it’s delicious and very approachable nonetheless. :star_struck:

Sparkling Pinot Noir is on my mind too… English, of course, though some Austrian won’t go amiss :smiley:

This reminds me, I need to start replenishing some of the lovely Rieslings we’ve been enjoying lately!!

I don’t have a ‘summer’ cellar. I drink the same type of wines all year.

But if its hot (big if there) I put my red in the fridge for a bit longer before dinner.

We don’t have hot weather in this country, so no worries on that one. I do avoid getting stuff delivered from Spain from June onwards, though.

Lots of fresh reds - expect Ribeira Sacra to play a starring role. And Tenerife. And of course Cerasuolo.

Whites… well, that’s easy. Vinho Verde, Lugana, Grillo, and maybe a Zelen or two, Galicia again…

When it’s really hot (English not Spanish), I rather like the Society’s Normandy Cider. Best served cooled, not heavily refrigerated. It’s light, refreshing and not too strong.

The cupboard is already rammed so German Riesling, Austrian GV and Beaujolais will make up the bulk of this summers’ drinking.

No doubt, Italy will get a look in too, their whites and lighter reds will be bought on an ‘as needs’ basis’.

Tonight’s kadarka tasting is timely as the only one I’ve tried so far would have been spot-on for drinking on a hot summer’s day. Other lighter styled central European reds will be investigated too

Oh, and probably a few bottles each of the Alegria Manzanilla and Aldi’s Cremant Du Jura for their good value refreshing qualities.

Have to love the new updated catalogue from TWS, so Summer is now starting to look an awful lot like:

Year Description
2015 Dom Duplessis Chablis PC Montmains
2017 Vouvray Le Haut Lieu Sec Domaine Huet
2003 Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Spatlese Zilliken
NV Louis Brochet 1er cru Brut
2017 Grauburgunder Sonnenberg Weingut Julg
2015 Ch du Clos Pouilly Fuisse Pouilly
2015 Chateau des Rontets Pouilly Fuisse Clos Varambon
2016 Dom Louis Michel Chablis Premier Cru Montee de Tonnerre
2015 Domaine Coche Bizouard Meursault Blanc
NV Lilbert Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc Brut
NV Lilbert Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Perle
2016 Savennieres Petite Roche 2016 Damien Laureau

My Summer cellar will take shape when the Rose offer comes out :slight_smile: Otherwise I drink more beer in the Summer, or if we return to a traditional British one, then the Winter reds will be fine too :smiley: