01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Your secret wine (and pizza) shame…

I’m intrigued as to what people consider the difference is between American and Italian styles? I have had thick and thin crust pizzas in both countries. The only place I consistently get really thin, crispy based pizzas (the sort I like) is in the Alps; French, Italian or Swiss. But further south in Italy I keep finding those thick bases which I’m not so fond of but suspect are actually more traditional. I believe it is thought that the original pizza based was more like focaccia.

1 Like

Speaking very generally - NY pizza is cooked in different ovens with lower temp, uses more uniform coverings of lower moisture cheese, less crust with less chew, crisper base, different classic toppings and cooked rather than raw sauce. Bigger diameter too.

This is super general though. I’ve had pizza in Italy that was closer to NY pizza than Neapolitan pizza and you can obviously get Neapolitan style pizza in NY. Most foodie types think I’m a heretic when I say Neapolitan pizza is my least favourite style. Flavour wise it’s perfect but I don’t like how the base often succumbs to the sauce and having waaaay too much dry and charred crust. Even at award winning places.

2 Likes

Even pint singular might be too much…I just get the bloat if I do beer with food beyond a packet of crisps…

Agree that the pizzas in the ski resorts are usually of that style, which I like too.

Can be a bit of a lottery when eating out…I’ve had a couple of soggy shockers. Fortunately, Mrs C has mastered the knack of home made pizza that hits the spot…I still get to do my own toppings though…

Had a great street pizza from a takeaway in Tuscany a few years back, it hit the mark, was pretty cheap and was the benchmark used for home efforts.

2 Likes

American: generally thicker base more uniformly cooked, wide range of toppings generously piled on

Italian: sparse toppings, cheese not essential even, more limited choice of toppings, generally thinner and crisper base, unevenly coooked, with blisters and small burnt areas

I am not sure how accurate that characterisation is, but that is what I consider to be the difference. In the UK the vast majority of pizzas are wannabe US-style, and you have to hunt around for the alternative. Illustrated below. I’ll leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess which is which :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s the base that I love so much, so soggy and doughy in the middle. My trip to Naples really changed my outlook on Pizza forever and tend to where possible go for that style but even a ‘bad’ pizza still does me fine

1 Like

Okay, I’m getting the feeling we need a separate pizza thread where we can all lay down the law and ask things about pizza.

My first question is; is pizza more culturally significant than the novel? I nicked that one from somewhere and I can’t think where.

I love thin crust with the crispy thing. I love the doughy ones that droop on the end. My mum used to make pizza like a tomatoey bread pie about three inches thick which I have fond memories of.

5 Likes

War and Pizza
Pride and Pepperoni
Murder on the Pizza Express

Could be a tie?

6 Likes

Pineapple on pizza is delicious.
Had dried seaweed on pizza in Japan. Also delicious.

1 Like

genius :smiley:

3 Likes

By Agatha Crustie?

12 Likes

A fellow devotee of ‘I’m Sorry I haven’t a Clue’, obviously…

2 Likes

I don’t like Pizza and no longer drink beer.

I use an Ooni for pizza perfection and am a fan of a thin base…

Btw…. That’s a half and half….:joy:

14 Likes

See also the Georgian khachapuri - essentially bread baked with cheese within and/or on top. Egg may also feature, but pretty much anything else is verboten - or at least it should be called something else.

Needless to say, there have been many adulterations of khachapuri regardless, and in America they have been “improved” to such an extent that they resemble American pizza more than anything else.

Purists will be pleased to know no Georgian would object to wine being drunk with khachapuri :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tbh I didn’t know Italians did (object to wine with pizza) until I saw this thread! It would have been news to the Italians drinking gallons of Gavi that I dined with in a pizzeria in Northern Italy. Maybe it’s a southern thing.

3 Likes

Surprised nobody has mentioned Chicago deep-dish pizza, which is a cross between a pie and a pizza. Like martinis, one slice is not enough, two is too many and three is seriously life-threatening.

Jim

8 Likes

Try googling “what do italians drink with pizza”. Perhaps the Italians you saw did not have access to the internet, so they didn’t know better :wink:

More seriously, I always thought the beer “rule” was because wine is associated with meal time, and pizza is considered to be more of a bar snack than a meal. Some of those links you will find sort-of confirm that idea. So, maybe “your” group were treating it as a meal, and it was more of a restaurant environment? I dunno.

When I implied Italians would “object” to pizza and wine, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek. As some of those links also say, it is not a hard and fast rule.

1 Like

That does sound delicious. Like a big round potato bread. With cheese.

1 Like

Am I allowed to drink this with pizza?

6 Likes