01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Your secret wine (and pizza) shame…

#Russianroulette :laughing:

1 Like

Ha! Just saw this. Mrs H does the same thing to secure Sainsbury’s delivery slots, except she uses multiple bottles of everyday plonk instead of the champagne.

We had a delivery a couple of weeks ago that was 8 bottles of Taste the Difference Cotes du Rhone Blanc and a roll of pastry.

18 Likes

No wonder we can never get slots anywhere :grinning:

7 Likes

#winepie anyone ? :joy::joy:

10 Likes

Lady Brentw1 complains to her friends about having to deal with a feral 63 year old that has to be dragged kicking and screaming out of TWS website :rofl:

And the Bolly? Pretty good choice and I think I’ll switch to that. I’ve got 12,467 shiny toilet rolls in stock already. Rough or what!

3 Likes

I enjoy this one (especially at the price):

6 Likes

I own over 100 bottles of wine. None of them are Italian. Am I wrong?

6 Likes

No i think I was past 100 before I had anything Italian in reserves. Even now it’s only a couple of etnas and a tiny bit of Barolo

2 Likes

You’re not wrong, you’re just not right yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

No shame at all, a bottle of that with a bowl of strawberries after a bbq is a match made in heaven!

1 Like

In the excellent “Drilling for Wine”, the autobiography of Robin Yapp, he admits to bribing his children to order Mateus Rose when in an Indian Restaurant. I have to admit there’s a kitsch charm to Mateus - can’t believe they’ve changed the bottle and label to try and make it sophisticated.

Other guilty pleasures? That very cheap retsina, ice cold that comes in Greek restaurants in school dinner style metal jugs. Oh and placing Rioja so close to the fire in Winter that it almost mulls. Nothing posh of course but nothing too shabby either.

4 Likes

OK, my other secret is that I quite like,

Just swop out the word ‘retsina’ and substitute ‘crappy house red’ :heart_eyes: (but it has to be in Greece on a sailing trip!)

4 Likes

Don’t think I’m ashamed of it but I don’t get Chateau Musar. ‘Funky’ seems to be the go to description. Just think it tastes like over-stewed fruit.

3 Likes

I know what you mean. I have to be in the mood for it … for something a bit different.

Sometimes it can be a fascinating noseful, and other times it can just make me shrug.

3 Likes

The only time I tasted Chateau d’Yquem was in 2013, when a group of about 10 of us chipped in for a bottle of the 2008, and drank it in a BYOB restaurant at the end of a fairly long night of other good but less stellar wine. My shame is not the infanticide (the wine was utterly astounding), but that I drank some of my small glass through a straw. My drinking companions of that night never miss an opportunity to remind me of this.

12 Likes

That’s not shame, that’s living the dream!

8 Likes

That is rock’n’roll, simultaneously flaming up a Cohiba Behike with a £50 note.

1 Like

Guess what I’ve just done … AGAIN :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:!! #blonde

36 Likes

The mistake is not the pinkness but Möet???:wink:

2 Likes

I like Moet (I haven’t had the pink one recently), shove it in the snowdrift and that will be the start of a lovely evening.

5 Likes