01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Your most unusual, yet successful, pairing

Many years ago I had an irregular tasting drinking group with colleagues. We’d take it in turns to host and cook, while everyone brought a special bottle or two to try. I had some fabulous wines.

We also has some interesting food matches, the one that always stands out to me being a rosso di montalcino I’d brought along for the starter, that my boss insisted we tried with white peach! It was divine. I guess it’s all in the acidity.

So, what surprisingly satisfying food and wine experiences have you had?

A pairing of Madeira cake , plain chocolate and Fleurie. Result , that was very moorish, may I try some more.

Pascal Goutelle, Kenny Dalglish lookalike. Pascal made Fleurie for a well known Beaujolais brand. Unfortunately he has since packed in …this denying me a wonderful source of Fleurie ‘sans etiquette’

Ooh, Madeira cake and Fleurie! Two of my favourite things…

Cocktail sausages and off-dry rose at a very unsophisticated impromptu picnic was a winner for us!

Chocolate cake - the darker & richer the better - ideally a black forest gateau with cherries and cream. Paired with the remains of the red you drank with the roast beef earlier, an aged St. Emilion from a decent year with plenty of depth, plum fruit & spice.

It’s all about getting the level of richness balanced - some reds are just too thin. That Fleurie just might do the trick… now there’s a thought.

Ideally outdoors on a warm summer evening.

I was sitting at home drinking a glass of red Lirac, domaine Maby when my wife returned with a bag of new season locally grown cherries. The combination was extraordinary, so the following weekend I bought some more cherries but having no Lirac I opened a bottle of a Cotes du Rhone villages Plan de Dieu. It just didn’t work. The wine went better with raspberries from the garden, but nowhere nearly as successful.

I have heard that apparently Sauternes and Sausages work as the higher acidity of the Sauternes cuts through the fat of the Sausages :smiley:

I feel like you need to verify this claim personally :wink:

I also feel like one of us should start a food blog with this title.

Hmm, well I do have some Sichel Sauternes 2010 in the fridge…

@tom I was going to volunteer for the sausage & Sauternes test but as @M1tch already has one chilled…

Wish I would have known that yesterday as I was cooking my bangers!

I’m absolutely going to try this :+1:

Gewurztraminer with beef. Actually it was chunks of beef on a kebab, so essentially just the meat. Not sure it would be so good with a roast dinner with Yorkshire pudding etc.

Tried this in a cheapish restaurant in Alsace when I couldn’t face the red wines they were offering. Did not expect much, but the match worked surprisingly well, with the Gewurz flavours standing up well to the beef.

My wife is still bed-bound trying to shake off a nasty dose of Aussie flu…so I’m finishing of some Bertrand Berge Origenes…this red has a wonderful warming, licorishy finish…well tonight I added to and lengthened this byadding a gingernut biscuit to each sip… Mmmm more warmth and spice…Will try again when we have more ginger its :innocent::rose::wine_glass:

Especially for Easter…

Plus

Makes the wine taste like Hay. Maybe not “successful”, but fun during the annual chocolate festival. :chocolate_bar:

New York Chesecake and Pinot Noir? Holed up in NYC one Winter - it worked beautifully!

Black forest gateau // St. Emilion grand cru.

Absolutely fabulous pairing, the wine and dark chocolate go so well together - and then you have the rich black cherries which tie in with the fruit in the wine… finally the cream in the cake tames any tannin in the wine.

To pull the trick off, the wine needs to carry over from an earlier meat main course (or cheese course if we are being strictly French)

Kob Fillet - a delicate white fish lightly pan fried - with Wamakersvallei ‘La Cave’ Pinotage in Cape Town Fish Market, Stellenbosch.

We had two BYO cases of opened wines with us so I tried several to find the best match and ‘La Cave’ was, counter intuitively, the best.

Also had Luddite Shiraz, chilled in an ice bucket, with grilled Yellow Tail fish and chips. Very nice, but not repeated.

A similar eventin Kenya years back , we were invited by our hosts to the Mombasa Club, a wonderful throwback to colonial days all dark polished wood floors and waiters in white jackets with silver plated serving trays.
We had smoked sailfish, you can see it being smoked on the beach in improvised smoke huts when it comes of the boat, and if you get the chance to eat smoked sailfish take it, it is beautiful.
The club was heavy on French reds but little else, most people seemed to drink G&T or whisky, but they did have a range of champagnes and that was my choice and it worked really well as the sailfish is not a strong tasting fish and the smoking is quite restrained.
Not likely to get that treat again.

Watching a fancy rendition of The Nutcracker in London with the OH, during the interval we relieved ourselves of the obligatory overpriced pre performance champagne and reconvened, she had bought a tub of mango ice cream and I had acquired a bottle of Chilean merlot.

Due to the queues we then only had about 10 minutes to down both.

Dreadful match but so amusing at the time!

Back almost 30 years to my fund manager days and being taken out for lunch by a very well known oil sector analyst of Persian/Iranian origin. We ordered mains which I can’t remember but almost certainly consisted of red meat…he had the wine list and got a bottle of Sauternes…it was very good Sauternes, but…not with what we ate…

I also had business dealings with another guy of Iranian origin (a refugee post Ayatollah days) from HSBC who was an incredibly intelligent guy across many spheres and a complete character who could drink almost anyone under the table…he came to the UK as a teenager with literally nothing, and hardly any English, but got a 1st in Maths from a proper Uni then went on to develop and head up a business unit in the investment bank. Anyway, he did know about wine, and introduced me to Musar…not just one, but five…they were perfectly matched to the food.