01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

You know you're obsessed with wine when

Hi all,

Thought I would start a fun little thread, complete the sentence - You know you’re obsessed with wine when…

You know you’re obsessed with wine when…you are excited about your evening meal because you can match a wine to it.

You know you’re obsessed with wine when…you keep the house slightly colder as its better storage conditions for the wine.

You know you’re obsessed with wine when…you start to think of items you are about to buy in how many bottles that is equivalent to (I could buy that power tool to fix ABC at home or I could buy 3 bottles of XYZ)

You know you’re obsessed with wine when…you remember the exact vintage, region and producer of a wine you had a while ago but can’t remember where you put your keys this morning

You know you’re obsessed with wine when…you are concerned that you still have that bottle under vacuum stopper from 2 days ago but aren’t able to drink it yet

How about you?

If you like Mourvedre

You know your’re obsessed with wine when…you start to get to know the Fedex driver due to the frequency with which he brings TWS branded boxes to the house, and he notices they’re getting bigger.
You know your’re obsessed with wine when…the quality of the local wine is a major consideration when you’re booking a family holiday.

You know you’re obsessed with wine when you weekly check the weather in your Region of choice, could go on Mastermind answering questions of that Regions last WS opening offer and could never go on holiday to an area who’s wine I didn’t adore.
Retsina = Wallpaper Paste, so I will never darken the doors of the Acropolis! LoL

You know you’re obsessed with wine when while watching a movie, if a character pours a glass of wine, you lose the plot entirely trying to read the label of the bottle they’re holding

You know you’re obsessed with wine when you place another TWS order before the previous ones even been delivered :bow:
You know you’re obsessed with wine when you find a bottle opener and a couple of corks in your handbag… :scream: (Obviously left over from a tasting!)
And you REALLY know you’re obsessed with wine when the 2 year old knows exactly whats in the unopened box on the hall floor… “wine” “wine”…

…when your 5yr old son picks up his cup of juice, swirls & sniffs it, then asks “why do you even do that dad??”

… you cook a meal to go with the wine you fancy trying.

… you make an accidental typo and think “hmm, that would be a great way to describe a particularly exciting special wine: ‘fantasty’”

When you get stuck down a Pinterest rabbit hole trying to find crafty ideas to use all the “nice” corks you save!
Also seriosly considering buying some of these for the fancy bottles I don’t want to recycle!
https://www.auraglow.co.uk/auraglow-1-5m-rechargeable-usb-cork-bottle-light-decorative-string-light-15-leds.html

Prosecco - how do you drink yours?

I have some of those, think you can pick them up cheaper on Ebay though (but not sure if they are rechargeable like those) - really need to recycle quite a few of the empty bottles I have!

We have fairy lights in bottles and love it! Plus it gives you an excuse to buy something REALLY nice to use as a bottle. Any ideas which bottles youll use? :smiley:

You know you’re obsessed with wine when… you practically jump out of your chair in excitement when they ask a wine-related question on University Challenge.

You know you’re obsessed with wine when… you arrive at a friend’s house and they don’t even ask what you’d like to drink - the chilled bottle is already on the table and a glass poured ready for you. (This has started happening far too often for my liking…) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve got a bottle of Tio Pepe En Rama 2017 which I’ve kept mainly for the label and then this one

which my friends brought me back from Slovenia!

Amazed you held out for opening the En Rama!

Oh no, it is empty!

I have to admit I also just ordered a pair of the lights and will use them with these two bottles (I saved for some reason)…

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/stories/ss16/berry-bros-and-rudd-wine

UPDATE - I think it was a one off in 2015? (vintage 2013), but some of the claret is actually on sale on Berry Bros brokering site… I personally would not buy it for the wine as it was meant for early drinking

Those are brilliant!

You know you’re obsessed with wine when…you keep the house slightly colder as its better storage conditions for the wine.

In fact it’s when you decide NOT to purchase a new woodburner stove for the room where your wine is currently stored!

… when you barely drink beer anymore.

No idea what happened. Something snapped/a switch flicked. I loved beer, still do, but about a year ago I just found I was buying less… chasing fewer unicorns… because it all just go so hyped. I approached wine, a world I knew but didn’t, if that makes sense, to hide from the YOU MUST DRINK THIS NOW view of a lot of murky, happening breweries.

Sure I go out for a pint… but now I just want to go through ever wine I can find and drink.

I am 100% with you there. A buddy of mine has invited me out for drinks this evening, and we’ll likely head for a pretty good pub with a range of interesting beers. Fine. But the whole time I’m there, paying £6 for a quirky IPA, I’ll be thinking ‘there’s a wine bar down the road that has a really interesting Freisa that I could be drinking for the same money’…

You know you are obsessed with wine when you go on holidays and you spend most of your time pointing out soil types and slopes and explaining to your partner how the geography of your destination is so ideal for winemaking (of course, you also only go on holidays to places that make wine)