01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

You choose - A new game, choose my wine!

A bit of fun.
Recently, took delivery of an order that included these 2 bottles of fairly inexpensive White Burgundy.

Chateau de Beauregard Saint Veran Vernay 2017 £14.50
&
Domaine Jacques Saumaize Saint Veran En Creches 2018 £16.50

The menu tonight is a Chicken that I roasted yesterday evening, using lots of butter and herbs under the skin, and half a lemon and a quartered mandarin orange in the cavity with lots of thyme, oregano, sage and seasoning.
Some supermarket Mushroom risotto to accompany it. I will jolly this up with some rehydrated dried mushrooms, some butter fried sliced mushrooms and a little grated parmesan to taste.

The game is “Which wine MUST I drink with this dish?”

And I promise to follow the Community vote.

Can someone do a vote, associated with this post??
One vote for either wine, and one for “find another bottle!!” or even a can of Stella Artois.

5 Likes

Should Taffy drink…

• Chateau de Beauregard Saint Veran Vernay 2017
  • Domaine Jacques Saumaize Saint Veran En Creches 2018

0 voters

3 Likes

Well me not being a white drinker I’d have to say “find another bottle”. :rofl::wink:

5 Likes

@szaki1974

Thank you, Sir!
I really am going to have to find out how to do the “vote!” thing!

Here you go!

3 Likes

Thank you! :+1:

I would have red with chicken, but as the choice is between whites I’ve voted for the oldest one.

1 Like

Wouldn’t have thought it’d make a lot of difference, though i don’t know the first wine.

1 Like

A years difference :slight_smile:

I don’t know the wines either and I’m not a drinker of Burgundy, or Chardonnay (except for the occasional unwooded Chablis), but 1 was asked to choose, so chose the oldest. I prefer young whites so a 2017 is ‘time to drink up’ in my book.

What did you choose, and why?

1 Like

For me they could probably both do with another year, or at least a decant to open them up a bit.

1 Like

I’d always plump for the older of two such similar wines, but no direct experience of either specific wine. Enjoyed wines from both producers though.

2 Likes

Don’t know either. Older first seems sensible.

1 Like

@Taffy-on-Tour

Good game.

Has either got a little more oak?

1 Like

Can we all play? I’m digging out the last of the freezer now, with this planned for tonight:

I’m currently considering these two as options to accompany, will either work? (Valpollicella is 2014)

• Go Italian, the Valpollicella needs drinking anyway
  • Head for South Africa - quality new wave wine-making
  • Back to the drawing board, go find something with a bit more body

0 voters

2 Likes

That’s conclusive enough for me. Thanks for voting, Italy it is.

Delicate colour, lovely aroma coming off the glass with a bit of air. Just a tiny sip before wrangling 8-year old into bed.

3 Likes

Ce soir, the Saint Vernay…I think! lol :wink:
Thanks to all that voted.
And if ever you find yourself perched atop a vinous fence in the future, then this thread might be your salvation or even your exit strategy, you could always blame the voters! :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve been doing this since June 2016! :+1:

12 Likes

I’d stick the Thorne and Daughters away a while

1 Like

TWS drinking window is only until 2023. I was under the assumption it’s fairly light and easy drinking.

Have you tried it? I’d be curious to hear what anyone else thought who’d had a glass.

So, @Taffy-on-Tour, did you go with the vote, and what was the wine like, and how did it match the meal?

1 Like