01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wines of Alto Adige - Advice in Advance

Hello,

We are off to the Alto Adige region soon and I am looking for any recommendations for wines. We are staying a long way up a very steep hill, will need to bring wine in…so need to choose wisely. I have picked through old threads to see what the community has to say.

We are particularly interested in Kerner; Pinot Gris; Schiava; Lagrein as they are mostly new grapes to us . Producer names that keep coming up - Hofstätter; Cantina Terlano; Alois Lageder; Nals Margreid; Manincor; Meran.

Any producers you would add to that list? Any specific wines you think outstanding? Any particularly good vintages to look out for?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

It’s such a lovely corner of the world! You have mentioned quite a few of the interesting producers there. I’d also check out the Abbazia di Novacella.

https://www.kloster-neustift.it/en/abbazia-di-novacella-wine-estate/stiftskeller/

The general standard of winemaking is really high. You are unlikely to find any wines you don’t like.

I’d also recommend Franz Haas, Peter Pliger/Kuenhof, and Falkenstein for Riesling and Voglar for Sauvignon (no, don’t laugh, this is not the unsubtle NZ stuff). I like Lagrein a lot too, though older ones are hard to find. And don’t underestimate Pinot.

I love Nals Magreid’s wines (it’s a cooperative - but most cooperatives in Alto Adige are of high standards as mentioned before). Particularly enjoyed their Pinot Bianco Cru Sirmian- had the 2016 and 2017 - both delicious, and show just how good Pinot Bianco can be. I also love their Chardonnay (Kalk or Magre) and their Punggl Pinot Grigio is a joy and very food friendly. Also enjoyed Lagrein from Cantina Tramin and Cantina Andrian (‘Rubeno’) and Gewurtz from Franz Haas.

As @suiko mentioned, you can find some good Pinot Noir too. One I had several times is by Cantina Terlano (the ‘Classico’ - cost me about £22, but worth it).

Tiefenbrunner Schlosskellerei. Enjoyed their SB very much!

To be honest, I doubt you’ll find anything bad if you stick with producers mentioned by yourself and others.

Have a fabulous time! :+1:

Tiefenbrunner… yes, forgot that one. Definitely seconded!

Btw, there is not much Kerner in the Sudtirol - but Pliger does produce one (as well as a Sylvaner and a Veltliner).

Lovely. Thanks for all the suggestions. Plenty to go on there.