01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wines for Cooking from TWS

This scene from Floyd on France was the first thing I though of when reading @Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis’s great story in this thread. I watched the whole episode on youtube relatively recently and winced twice: first as he empties the bottle of Gevrey-Chambertin into the pot, and second as he reveals what’s in the glass he’s drinking…

4 Likes

I think the second wince is the biggest :scream:

2 Likes

Most WS mixed cases contain a Spanish wine and I can’t drink it without some negative effects, maybe to do with histamines or congenors, so it always goes into cooking. Of course I’d prefer they sell mixed cases without Spanish bottles but that’s life. A pity too because Cava is a lot cheaper than French fizz!

What would people usually reach for if you’re making a red wine gravy to go with roast rib of beef?

Depends on what you’re drinking it with - I bought a couple of bottles of Lidl (or Aldi?) Barolo a couple of years ago to braise some beef in, to be accompanied by some decent Barolo (I believe an '08 San Rocco and '11 La Serra). :smiley:

2 Likes

Pendants’ corner calling! When we allowed ourselves to be tempted by a barman in ‘Newts Saint Georges’ he called the red wine and cassis drink a Cardinal. It was disgusting and I am confident it wasn’t made with Gevrey Chambertain!

2 Likes

Often it is the bit left in the decanted bottle, gunge and all. Gives a bit of extra body to the gravy!

5 Likes

I’ve been using a 2016 corbieres for the pot lately. Domaine de Trillol. It was super cheap during a sale so I bought 2 cases, and it is pretty delicious to drink as you go along too. Seems extravagant to use anything other than winelake in cooking, but there you go.

4 Likes

I would use anything better than the truly rancid. Either the end of a bottle that’s been sitting open for a while, or something <£5 from the supermarket. I’m very sceptical of the theory that you should cook with something you’d like to drink.

4 Likes

Interesting to hear you say this - what are your thoughts behind it, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve sometimes gone to put wine in while cooking, but actually felt a bit resentful of putting in something nice or expensive, as I would prefer to enjoy it as a drink!

My main reason is that I’ve never noticed any difference between how cooking turns out in relation to the wine I put in. There have been times where I’ve been a bit worried because a fair amount of something completely undrinkable has gone into a dish. But I’ve always been pleasantly surprised to find that whatever I didn’t like in the wine didn’t seem to survive the cooking process.

It’s also worth considering that whatever wine you start off with will bear little resemblance to the final dish. And, as wine, it will be completely ruined by any measure.

I also read an article, possibly in the NYT, where the writer cooked a few dishes using wine of different quality and couldn’t detect much difference. As it agreed with my preconceptions, I’m happy to consider this to be scientific proof.

The only wines that I would avoid using are unusually sweet or distinctive wines. For example, I would think twice about using a Weinert Carrascal NV. In fact, I generally try to get the most middle of the road bottle I can find, usually called something like, “Sainsbury’s Soft and Fruity Red”.

4 Likes

Very interesting. I might continue to leave the nice wines just for drinking. Thank you for your response!

1 Like

Apart from enthusiastic use of the dregs from decanted bottles (which means some outstanding wines) we usually use pretty cheap wine to cook with. We used to get this from France when we travelled there pre Covid. Then looked to either Lidl or Aldi.

We have quite a collection of everyday drinking wines that used to be consumed on a Friday night. It gets a regular top up from friends who drink a fair amount of cheap wine and keep bringing us some😬 We cut down on our total consumption a while ago so now really only open bottles of wine on Saturday and Sundays and generally choose better wines. So my current strategy is to work my way through the everyday wines languishing on the wine rack gathering more age than is good for them. Currently on the go for cooking is a 2014 claret that lost its fruitiness way back.

2 Likes

A space for pithy comments about items of jewellery?

Jim

4 Likes