01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine you have always though you have hated until

Taking the clue @JO4WINE … here is a thread to share wines that you thought you have hated until a special bottle came along. So to be clear, this thread is for converts to share their story.

For me… I have had some hideous oaky examples of Chardonnay in the 90s and unfortunately set my mind to hating the grape. that is until I fell in love with white Burgundy after the 2013 and 2014 vintages. It did help it did not say Chardonnay on any of the labels… the followoing two wines were eye openers that I still look forward to opening…

2013 Chassagne Montrachet Le Concis du Champs from Hubert Lamy and
2014 Bourgogne Blanc by Domaine Parent. :slight_smile:

I think for me it’s Sherry.
Having heard for years from English friends about how it’s something to do with their granny and Christmas totally put me off. Nothing against the granny, but the combo didn’t sound appealing.
Then I tried some in Spain with good friends who are into Sherry… I think it’s was a Palo Cortado - don’t ask me which, it was many moons ago… but man, it was a revelation. What it had to do with granny and Christmas was beyond me! Such unique nose and flavour, complexity which was just mind-blowing and oh, how it went with the local food… Bliss! I am by no means a Sherry expert - far from it- but I just love the stuff!

Many more senior English people had (and some still have) the bad habit of keeping stale opened bottles of Sherry in the drinks cabinet for months (or years) :nauseated_face:

Well made sherry on the other hand is probably the best value fine wine in the world.

Aussie Shiraz for me. The souped-up boozy vimto type had really put me off, and there’s just no way I would consider buying an Australian Shiraz. Strangely, it was a really run of the mill bottle that changed my view. I was at Edgbaston last summer for the Saturday of the day-night test match against the West Indies. Much to my chagrin, Hardys had got the monopoly on wines at the England test venues, so when I’d got bored of the beers I was forced to go with the Shiraz (at something like £18 a bottle :open_mouth:). It was not the greatest wine I’ve ever drunk, but it absolutely hit the spot. Just the right wine for that moment. Since then I’ve been a bit more open to Australian Shiraz - there’s nothing wrong with the Grant Burge Benchmark at all, and the Blind Spot Gundogai Shiraz that was available was around last summer was really good too.

So, when offered, I won’t be turning down that glass of Grange after all.

I agree with Inbar - Sherry.
Wonderful variety of styles which I enjoy now - a lot!

Slightly off topic…I have never been interested in spirits always preferred wine but my wife and I were in a restaurant we had never previously visited before. At the end of the meal we were offered something on the house - I had no idea but said I would have a brandy. Well it arrived heated up and was delicious. This was about a year ago. Over the years I had been given quite a few bottles of brandy at Christmas time which had been stored away in the garage. Over the past year my wife and I have been working through them…only at weekends though!

Whenever I visit the WS I always buy a couple of bottles of Grant Burge Benchmark - great Shiraz at a very good price.

I first tasted Grant Burge wines at Oddbins many years ago - they always good value and good wines

+1…i always thought of it as turbo charged blackcurrant sponge and custard with extra vodka. However a beautiful Peter Lehman shiraz had measured fruit, wonderful smooth toasty coconut oak and vanilla. Almost like a rioja down under. Just fab :heart_eyes:

This is just what I love about wine (and this community). I am the polar opposite in my tastes, but I’m not for a second suggesting either of us are “wrong”

I love (good) Aussie Shiraz, its one of my absolute favourite styles but have found Rioja quite hit and miss for my palate - or at least may have chosen it badly…? Its the open minded enjoyment that makes it all so fun though!

A few members of my family can’t bear Rioja either - I think they’re just super-sensitive to oak and have probably had too many Reservas and Gran Reservas, when Crianzas and Jovens might suit them better. If the oak has been putting you off too but you fancy giving Rioja another go, I’d recommend this as an easy drinking drop with more subtle oak, and not too pricey:

I’d second that @Bargainbob I had a bottle of the Aclys last weekend and was taken by how good it was for the price. Definitely on the lighter, red fruit end of the Rioja spectrum.

Good call :wine_glass:

I’m not a great Rioja fan either, although seem to really enjoy Tempranillo from Ribera del Duero and Toro, so not sure what’s wrong with me… In any case, I shall give your suggestion a go too, @Bargainbob! I love challenging my own certainties and being pleasantly surprised :+1:

I’m steering more towards that end of the spectrum… More fruit, more oak and more pronounced flavours.

Am I turning into Bridget Jones?

You may be turning into Robert Parker!

Seriously though, it’s good to know your own palate. And knowing your own palate helps you to calibrate it against those of others, especially individual critics if you read them.

The problem (if there is one) lies elsewhere I think. To use the example of Rioja - it is made in different styles. I applaud the Society’s use of three categories to try and give guidance on this. But it’s easy to see how this can confuse and disappoint if you don’t know about it. If you have only ever tried one sort, then you may form a view - positive or negative - based on that sort.

But in the long term, beware! Your palate may well shift, and even keep shifting.

Ha well I’ve always steered towards the opposite end with less oak, more complex maturation flavours rather than primary fruit. I’m moving ever more towards the bigger wines often associated with ‘beginner’ drinkers who like big bombshells. Does this mean my palate is maturing, becoming less mature or, more likely becoming more desensitised?

Thanks, its now on the wish list!

Dunno. I know I sometimes enjoy going back to styles I fell out of love with. I wouldn’t want to stay there again, but I do enjoy the occasional revisit.

I think your palate can sometimes fall off a cliff at some point in later life (in your eighties?) but I’m not there yet!

I still can’t get Sauvignon Blanc, but greywacke wild fernent is lovely. So there you go, not the grape but the winemakers