01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine world gone mad

recommended-reading

Oh! I’ve noticed it was only 30,000 Euros, I thought it said £, thank heavens!!

Indeed!

Mind you, I’ve bought wines for over 30,000…

:lebanon:

Same

You bought wine in Iran? Fair play.

Have to say I miss being a millionaire every pay month…

Imagine buying a bottle, keeping it carefully for 10+ years, opening it and finding it’s corked.

On that subject (and slightly off topic), Illahe in Oregon make a PN called Project 1899 which is made in the most extraordinary way. From their site:

“Our 1899 pinot noir was made without the use of modern winemaking equipment or electricity. We wanted to create a new-world wine with a true sense of place that wasn’t altered by technology. This wine was hand picked and brought up to the winery by horse. Once at the winery, it was hand de-stemmed and the wine was placed into wooden fermenters. We let it ferment on its own after covering it. It soaked for 10 days. It was hand pressed in a wooden basket press, hand pumped into barrel, and encouraged through malolactic fermentation without inoculation. We got it to the bottle with no gas, corked it by hand, and applied a letterpress label. The 1899 never touched dry ice, canned nitrogen, enzymes, stainless steel, forklifts, packaged yeast, electric pumps, or filters. We brought it to storage with Doc and Bea [horses]. We brought the wine from the winery to our distributor, Casa Bruno in Portland via stagecoach, cargo bike, and canoe. So, the first time it enters your car, it will be in a whole different time.”

It’s beautiful.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

Not such a big deal if you had a friend named Rudy

If you read the whole article they apparently have to label it as ‘Vin de France’ because of the ‘non’-Bordeaux grapes.

I like the interesting background to the wine with old varieties and pre-phylloxera vines (although that’s asking for the little aphids isn’t it). However the price is beyond stupid.

Be careful what you wish for…

thanks - missed that bit. Saw about Graves but didn’t read to the end of the sentance :man_facepalming:

Interesting use of 'Bordeaux" under the name in the picture though…

I would love to see the business case on this, and have Liber Pater walk me through it.

The 240 bottles available at this price equates to €72m of income (WT actual F). Assuming a modest 30% makeup on wine - production cost would be €50.4m. So I assume production of this wine is costed like this (and cut me some rope here, I have not run this through Excel yet):

Growing & Harvesting - a unit of Artificial Intelligent robots monitor the fields, like ED209s from Robocop to deal with pest control
Fermentation - a team of consultants on £10k an hour are paid to look at each barrel 24/7
Bottling - bottled only in pure diamond vessels
Storage - in all the empty flats in the borough of Chelsea Kensington for 4 years of rent
Shipping - every bottle has its own private lear jet, and does not fly with the rest of the case
Marketing - €0, because articles like this do all the marketing for them.

Of course, it could just be down to famousness and a highly inflated ego of self importance in the wine industry from the producer. Or that they will be safe in the knowledge knowing that China, NBA sports superstars, or the Beckhams will buy any wine with a silly price tag.

Since we are discussing wine world insanity, then let me present Champagne Gout de Diamant. Yours for $2.07 million per bottle.

Naturally you will want to open your bottle in style, so why not use the Henry Tuke Champagne Sabre? A paltry £27k for the 50% risk of smashing the thing over the floor and lacerating your arm.

Go for it!

Now I cannot really decide if I should spend the £27k (or its EUR equivalent) on a bottle of the Liber Pater or this sabre… Leaning towards the sabre as it has multiple uses…

Here’s another crazy one if anyone is interested

Texting my boss and asking for a rise…

It’s difficult to comment without using expletives. Suffice to say, that takes luxury goods to a new level of obscenity.

It also puts me off buying any other Penfolds wine no matter how fairly priced it might seem to be.

Yeah not sure how many have been sold but certainly reeks of a massive marketing gimmick. Having said that I kind of just shrug my shoulders and move on at this sort of stuff. Clearly not aimed at me so I just let these sort of stories pass me by. Was only aware of this one as it’s Penfolds and I was living in the Barossa at the time of release. I think the wine in question costs about $1,000 (£550) so it’s damn expensive packaging!

I hear what you’re saying, I shouldn’t let it bother me either but it’s a hard one to swallow.

Dodgy pun aside, I’m gobsmacked it wasn’t a shiraz !

“The wine was unveiled at a special dinner in Moscow earlier this week at luxurious mansion/restaurant, the Cristal Room Baccarat”.

This tells you all you need to know… :zipper_mouth_face: