01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine world gone mad

recommended-reading

The world has gone mad ! How has wine got to this price on release :see_no_evil:.

Coming soon - Wine Society Platinum bottle giveaway!

Funny you should mention that, @Leah, because only a couple of days ago I saw there was an auction with half a dozen bottles of that stuff (2006 vintage) in it. They all failed to reach their reserve, which was considerably less than a tenth of that price. Which is still extortionate of course.

Ah well, there are always people with more money than sense.

There are champagnes that retail at over a million euros a bottle, though that’s on account of having diamonds glued to the glass.

Bah humbug.

Its an interesting concept in terms of using the original grapes and methods, however you will never be able to fully replicate the original style owing to climate change and other factors. Probably find that the grapes are accidentally grown elsewhere anyway as part of field blends, bit like the Chilean Carmenere mistaken for Merlot.

I guess the grape varieties must be grown elsewhere, as otherwise they wouldn’t have been able to source them. But I’m a bit doubtful as to whether claret was ever made in amphoras. And the historians seem to think that historically claret was nearer to a rosé than the modern extracted supercuvée.

I just cant help feeling that that kind of money would be far better spent elsewhere, like helping starving and impoverished children. It is quite ludicrous and a bottle of DRC pales into insignificants when you look at this.

Wow, that’s interesting in itself .

Quite frankly I think that kind of price tag is obscene. I don’t think there’s any way to justify such a price other than that there are idiots out there prepared to pay it.

I saw this article and was tempted to post about it, but then I thought what can you say apart from “bah humbug”? And that line has already been taken.

You can buy back vintages for less and there is absolutely no way I would spend that much on a bottle of wine to drink. So in a way it is exactly the same as the rest of the Bordeaux EP system. I suppose we should thank them for making it so overtly preposterous.

As for the this is an historically accurate wine schtick it seems rather fanciful.

Personally I’d stretch the “world has gone mad” theme to the fact that pretty basic village Burgundy now seems to cost 40 or 50 quid a bottle.

a friend in marketing once commented on over priced being purchased by the over rich - where theres’s a price tag, there’s a mug!

read the comments underneath- J-C Cazes (allegedly) …‘nonsense’ :rofl::rofl:

and…are those varieties even in the cahiers des Charge for Bordeaux ?

@Ghost-of-Mr-Tallis re grapes - it does state ‘he had planted’ and I agree traditionally ‘Clairet’ was a very dark rose (we still by some every time we are there - great summer wine!)

Oh! I’ve noticed it was only 30,000 Euros, I thought it said £, thank heavens!!

Indeed!

Mind you, I’ve bought wines for over 30,000…

:lebanon:

Same

You bought wine in Iran? Fair play.

Have to say I miss being a millionaire every pay month…

Imagine buying a bottle, keeping it carefully for 10+ years, opening it and finding it’s corked.

On that subject (and slightly off topic), Illahe in Oregon make a PN called Project 1899 which is made in the most extraordinary way. From their site:

“Our 1899 pinot noir was made without the use of modern winemaking equipment or electricity. We wanted to create a new-world wine with a true sense of place that wasn’t altered by technology. This wine was hand picked and brought up to the winery by horse. Once at the winery, it was hand de-stemmed and the wine was placed into wooden fermenters. We let it ferment on its own after covering it. It soaked for 10 days. It was hand pressed in a wooden basket press, hand pumped into barrel, and encouraged through malolactic fermentation without inoculation. We got it to the bottle with no gas, corked it by hand, and applied a letterpress label. The 1899 never touched dry ice, canned nitrogen, enzymes, stainless steel, forklifts, packaged yeast, electric pumps, or filters. We brought it to storage with Doc and Bea [horses]. We brought the wine from the winery to our distributor, Casa Bruno in Portland via stagecoach, cargo bike, and canoe. So, the first time it enters your car, it will be in a whole different time.”

It’s beautiful.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

Not such a big deal if you had a friend named Rudy

If you read the whole article they apparently have to label it as ‘Vin de France’ because of the ‘non’-Bordeaux grapes.