Wine with..... Fried chicken

MrsB is away with the kids this evening and I’ve been told I have to demolish the rest of a pack of M&S oven-ready Southern “Fried” chicken the kids didn’t finish over the weekend or it will be thrown out.

I’m not looking for the perfect food/wine match, just curious to hear what you might consider opening to accompany and whether I have anything similar that I fancy a glass of.

@Taffy-on-Tour, if you don’t say Bolly, my jaw will hit the floor!

3 Likes

James, with what will probably be quite fatty I would suggest a Mosel dry Riesling, high acidity and a little bit of body. Just the ticket for fried chicken.

1 Like

I think it depends on whether you want to achieve balance or total excess. If the latter, then maybe a big Meursault or other massive Chardonnay might be fun. There’s something about fatty chicken stuff with a huge white wine that just screams, “CHICKEN.”

5 Likes

We used to get this from M&S.

The chicken is skinless and since it’s cooked in oven, not fried, it’s not ‘fatty’.

We had a fruity red, but I suggest whatever is your favourite type of wine will do. You really cannot go wrong.

4 Likes

This one might be ok from Tesco.
Not prohibitively expensive at £14 per bottle.
Not tasted it BUT 85% black grapes

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/277967554

1 Like

Champagne and I’m not joking. Preferably Blanc de Blancs

3 Likes

Viognier for me (in the same vein as @Aspedini’s rationale).

5 Likes

Not fatty!? Well then I’d chop it up, add extra coating and deep fry it until it is. That’s bound to taste better :yum:

8 Likes

Depends what sort of sauce you have to hand, the chicken it might be dry being skinless.

Personally I’d go for new world Chardonnay - all oak and tropical fruit - chilled right down to make it acceptable. Open that bottle of yellowtail, this isnt the time to get sophisticated. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

We had a fine dining version of fried chicken recently and it was paired with a Mead!

Made the Mead develop lager flavours!

Saying that the fried chicken itself was conversation stopping it was that good!

2 Likes

8 Likes

Haven’t read the thread so apols of said already, but I believe famous wine critic Neal Martin had Brett Graham of the Ledbury cook him a poshed up version of KFC once…

2 Likes

I’m with @Aspedini, but rather on the Chablis, high acid end . Whatever you go for, enjoy :wink:.

2 Likes

Fried chicken?

Have you considered a skin-full of MD20/20 as an appropriate apéritif?

3 Likes

Have you eaten yet James or are you still pondering the 14 or so choices?

Thanks for all the responses, all good choices (ok, maybe not the Yellowtail), might well have gone for Chablis had I any to hand. However, plumped for this in the end

A delicious and very good value blend from Badenhorst family wines. Lovely fruit, a nice seam of acidity and a touch of richness once given the chance to warm up.

14 Likes

Yes, yes - but did you pointlessly deep fry the chicken as per my terrible advice? That’s the real question.

5 Likes

No need, the skin was on beneath the coating, there was plenty of fat - my hands needed a good wash and the glass will require all sorts of polishing.

4 Likes

Phew! The thought of fatless southern style chicken had me a little worried.

4 Likes

That was my first thought too…

2 Likes