01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine with cheese

We’ve been lucky enough to receive a Cheese Geek cheese hamper from friends. It includes Devonshire red, yarg, Lincolnshire poacher, a Camembert equivalent and blue. We’ve had the blue with some sourdough, which was amazing. I’m looking for wine suggestions to go with the other cheeses rather than the traditional option of port. Thanks!

3 Likes

I love fizz with Camembert type cheeses, especially the creamier ones.

As a general cheese wine I actually prefer a rounder white to stand up to the saltiness. A particular favourite is Vermentino/Rolle from Liguria/French-Italian border area.

1 Like

I’m sure somewhere on CT one of my notes has a Cornish Yarg ideal pairing…but me being me I haven’t maked it on Food Tags, so I’m having a look, but so far no luck. Will report back if I uncover it!

2 Likes

Sweet wine goes well with blue cheese.

1 Like

Tawny port with the Lincolnshire Poacher - and some plum bread if you can get it.

1 Like

Thanks very much for all the tips!

I would stick with port or another sweet wine with the blue.

A white or light red with little tannin for the rest. Perhaps an Alsace white, or Loire. Beaujolais for red maybe, or Xinomavro.

2 Likes

Something like this would also work.

3 Likes

I had comte with condrieu the other day and it worked an absolute treat!

1 Like

Also some brie style cheeses with sauvignon or chardonnay go well. There’s a bottle of loire white the society regularly sells for around £10 which is 90% SB 10% chardonnay from Cheverny I think and a few Christmases ago that went down very well with Tunworth.

2 Likes

The ultra-traditional answer is to keep some of your red back from the main course to go with cheese. Which is a bit odd as whites tend to go far better. Though in fairness, low-tannin reds can probably serve as honorary whites, as already suggested.

But there a couple of matches which once tried, most people will return to. The first is champagne with Chaource (or any other soft white bloomy rind cheese). The other is a fairly full-on gewurtztraminer with washed-rind cheeses. These can be pretty hard to match with anything else TBH.

Sweet wines (esp. Sauternes) with blue cheeses have already been mentioned.

5 Likes

One of the best combinations I’ve had the pleasure to taste (during my French wine scholar course) was Comté, with this Vin Jaune:

It really was like tasting heaven - the flavours melding together, not quite knowing where the cheese ended and the wine began.

I promised myself this bottle as a Christmas prezzie, so I can hopefully repeat this heavenly experience in the comfort of my own home… :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Gewurz and washed rind are one of the best matches of all.

5 Likes

Gewurz and goat are good, as well.

3 Likes

Yes, though perhaps a slightly lighter and drier style of Gewurz?

1 Like