01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine visits in Puglia

italy

It used to be called fiano aromatico, but is isn’t the same grape and changed its name to avoid confusion.

Thanks. We’ve noticed that some wines here have been labelled as 100% Fiano Minutolo, which was leaving us seriously coinfused.

The sommelier at the hotel we’ve now moved to is also a fan of I Pastini, so we hope the Society’s buyers have at least checked it out. But his passion is for what he regards as authentic local primitivo, for which we took us to a small producer: Trullo di Pezza. The fiano and the aglianico were nothing really special, but the primitivi are definitely worth a look if you are passing that way.

Just returned from a week in Puglia. A few days close to Ostuni and then further south near to Otranto. Both delightful towns.

Absolutely blown away with the quality of both food and wine- and at reasonable cost considering the dire sterling / euro exchance rate.

On three occasions a grape variety appeared on our table that I’d never heard of - Susumaneillo! One blended with Primitivo, one with Negroamaro and one on its own (unblended). All were good, the Primitivo blend particularly so.

A wonderful wine from Puglia, had the chance to taste it at the recent Durham tasting and it was the highlight of the night for me.

Yes, we too were fascinated to discover Susumaniello (and bought a few bottles). See the posts earlier on this thread.

This ‘baby Graticciaia’ from Vallone is a blend of negroamaro and the afore-mentioned susumaniello. Delicious, and fab value.

Please stop … no more temptation :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::rofl:

If not too late or already mentioned, i visited Castello Monaci winery when in Lecce last year. Beutiful estate and wines.