01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine thermometer recommendation please?

christmas

I’m thinking of buying a (some) wine thermometer(s) as a Christmas Gift and thought this would be the place to get a recommendation?

I like the look of the bracelets that sit on the outside of bottles but am very dubious about how effective they are.

I’m happy to get and old fashioned glass thermometer but would like someone to suggest a good one - rather than something that is more for decoration.

If the way to go is to stick a thermocouple into the bottle attached to a digital display -sobeit. An elegant solution would be nice but a accurate solution is preferred.

The price range for thermometers seems quite narrow which means that using a price as an indicator of quality is tricky. Of course, there are also some wildly expensive ones out there as well.

Many thanks

my opinion… I wouldn’t bother - I have 2 or 3 sat in a draw - never use them

Unless you stick a probe in the liquid you are measuring the air temperature around the bottle or perhaps the surface temp of the glass. its much better to get habits around chilling / removing from fridge (or cellar) better

Buy them a nice bottle of wine instead…will still only be used once but probably enjoyed more

I agree with @JamesF the bracelet type are useless. I binned mine.

Haven’t tried any others so can’t comment further. I just use guesswork, if the ambient temp inside is 20 degrees, and I want to serve a wine at 14 degrees. I just pop it in the fridge for 20 or 30 minutes and take things from there. If it’s then too cold I leave it to warm in the glass for 10 minutes. Too warm, it goes back in the fridge for 10 minutes.

Apologies, that doesn’t help at all. Good luck, I hope you find something suitable.

I think it depends on what you want to use the thermometer for? Probably falls into 2 categories…

1. Accurately monitoring cellar temperature
  2. Ensuring serving temperature is appropriate

For the first category I use a digital dual indoor/outdoor thermometer which are cheap to pick up online or in hardware stores. It measures the ambient cellar air temperature and the outdoor thermocouple bit sits in a sealed old bottle full of water to give me a view on wine temperature and variability. It also has min/max temperatures so you can see the extremes.

For the second category I use the same approach as @Embee above. i.e. experience and guess work!

I usually dip my elbow in a small sample of the wine to see if its just right!

Thanks for all the advice. Very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

I use the microwave for red wine (if fresh from the garage in December) - important to remove any metal foil cap, but leave the cork in - 30 secs max for standard bottle on its side on the turntable.

Unless you have had the foresight to remove said bottle from garage and leave it in the (cool) kitchen 8 hours earlier. Sadly - I often fail to anticipate my red wine choice 8 hours in advance. And not for anything special with a chance of sediment.

I remember back in the 80’s there were a few wines with a reactive warmth / colour changing strip on the lable which indicated when the wine was at the optimum drinking temperature. From what I remember, the colour never changed.

I use one of these to measure the temperature of the liquid in bottle, as and when needed. Does the job. It did sit around for a couple of years not doing anything until I bought a wine fridge. Since then it’s come into its own, together with this. Have fun.

nice but a bit steep on price…this has bluetooth :nerd_face:

and this looks to offer a similar probing :sunglasses:

If I need to warm a wine from cellar temperature, I usually put the bottle in warm water for a few minutes. I judge the temperture with my hand. But increasingly, I just serve it at cellar temperature, as I like cool red wine, and anyway it soon warms in the glass.

People who want a bit more precision might find this useful when warming or cooling wine

I agree, have been doing so myself for many wines . Nothing to do with lack of forward planning of course…

For more austere clarets and robust Rhones decanting is better of course.