01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine storage solutions

I’m trying to store or keep wine that would benefit from ageing. I have a garage with a workshop inside, which is dark and cool(ish) but alas the wine I store tends to spoil. I’ve tried white & red wine on a wine rack, but without much luck and so I’m reluctant to try again and waste good wine.
So what’s the solution(s) A wine fridge, better temperature control
Any advice welcome

There are numerous wonderful suggestions in these threads , take a look :wink:

I’m surprised the garage workshop is not a suitable place. Wine is more robust than many people think. What sort of temleratures do you get there? It might also be useful to know how long you store wines for, and in what way they spoil.

I left a case of wine in my garage and it became undrinkable…

If you’re thinking of using a garage for wine storage I suggest you find out what the temperature is. A max-min thermometer will show the highest and lowest reached and are inexpensive.

I have this one in my greenhouse and its battery lasts a long time.

There are more expensive devices that will take readings regularly (you choose intervals), store them and let you download them into a spreadsheet.

You will also want to know the max-min if you intend to put a wine cabinet into you garage as they have operating limits.

Snap regarding the max-min thermometer in the greenhouse and I did use it to check my garage and the variation was huge, it has a flat roof and this also makes a big difference, no way could you unless the garage was in permanent shade even think of keeping wine in my garage and many are the same.
As an example the top temp in the summer went up to 47 centigrade, not good for wine nor man.

For @mattylad65
Leah has pointed to two threads that covered almost all possibilities for wine storage they are worth a read.

I do what Leah does. Store wine at TWS until in its drinking window. Take delivery and keep under the stairs. But I live in an old Cotswold stone cottage so it’s always cool inside. I have some concrete-ish wine blocks that I keep the wine in when not in its case and they work well but got them 25* years ago so no idea where from. I’ve told my wife that when we move the new house has to have a cellar :grinning::joy:

I have a fridge/cabinet with just over 50 bottles which is where all my laid down wines live; that is wines that won’t be drunk for at least the next couple of years and some for the next 10+ years.

The rest are in wine racks in my hall for ‘short term’ storage. My house is an old stone built house with one metre thick walls and I live north of Inverness so it never really gets warm in the hall. I’ve been monitoring it for the last couple of months and it never fallen below 15 or above 17, so a little warm but pretty steady. I have about a hundred bottle here, all of which should be drunk in the next couple of years.

However I’m getting more wines for laying down now and am probably getting a Climadiff CVP270 shortly.

Thanks for reply’s
I’ve put a thermometer in the garage - today it reached a high of about 20 in the workshop area where my wine is usually stored. It’s dark enough but obviously warm!
In the past the wine has gone a bit cooked.
Let’s see what temp. Saturday brings as it is forecast to reach 28+ in my area.
I’m guessing the only way forward is to wine fridge.
I’ve looked on line but haven’t found anything that would be okay to run in an ‘outbuilding’ as yet.
Most wine I buy gets drunk fairly quickly but I’ve had some good to keep for 3-5 years - that’s the stuff I’ve lost.
:confused:

Why wouldn’t wine fridges be unsuitable for outbuildings? Are you worried about low winter temperatures? Many will now raise the interior temp if too cold, but you need to check the min ambient temp in the specs. I think my Liebherrs are rated down to 5C, but I was also told it would not be a major problem as long as it stayed above freezing. I used to run one in a brick shed and just added a space heater set to the freeze prevention setting

This is the one I’m planning on getting:

You can see it is rated from 0 to 32 degrees C which should be fine for most garages in the UK.

I’m actually looking at similar, just with a glass door as it’ll be in the front room and I like the display aspect. I’d go for a solid door if it were tucked away

If thinking about long term storage you might want to consider light strike issues with a glass door.

I’ve actually ordered now but ended up with a slightly bigger one. They were out of stock on the cvp270 and so gave me a good deal on the cla310.

I’m sure they are designed to severely restrict UV and blue light, but I must say I tend to agree, and would prefer something that blocks all light.

Light strike is something to consider I’m sure but they’re designed to remove UV and it’ll be out of direct sunlight. By long term I’m thinking nearer 5 years than 10+ so I’m sure it’ll be fine

So it’s arrived and all went to plan in that two days later, giving it time to settle, my '16 Rhone EP arrived to be loaded straight into it along with the contents of my older, too small cabinet, and most of the wine from the hall. Now only keeping wine in the hall that’s planned to be drunk within the next few months.

Major job loading (and documenting) it. But all done now. :smiley:

Only just enough room to open the door so hard to get a good piccie!

Been buying and storing fine wines from the society since 82 , stored them in an unused bedroom with heavy curtains on the windows. Use a maximum thermometer to minimise temperature changes. No heating used at all apart from opening the interior door in colder spells. Successfully aged claret, Rhone & port for as long as 30 years . Aged a few in the Society cellars as a comparison but no major issues. It’s worked for us. Kept them in boxes as opposed to racks. All based upon minimising the range of temperature changes.

Can I ask what your temperature variation has been in the room? Interested to hear any temp variations for successful, non fridge storage over the long term.

I have a cellar - over the past year of tracking it has gone from 11C min to 17C max. I’m slightly worried that the variation is too large, especially the max reached last summer (would prefer it closer to 15C) but not going to get too worried about it…I think!

Prior to buying that cabinet (and another smaller one I picked up a year ago) I kept all my wine in my hallway. I don’t heat the hallway and being an old house with one metre thick stone walls it tends to stay pretty stable temperature wise, if a little on the warm side. Most of the time it only varied between about 13 and 15 however occasionally it makes it up to 18. This has been pretty successful but I mostly didn’t keep wine for more than three or four years. Now I’m starting to buy EP and, with the prospect of keeping those for 10-20 years, that occasional 18 degrees worried me,

I’m still keeping most of my short term bottles in the hall and mainly keeping the cabinet for longer term stuff. My feeling is that it’s just not worth the risk of cooking the wine after investing that much money and time on it.

I was quite surprised at the temperature variation of a ‘proper’ cellar (underground on the north side of an eighteenth century house), it would get up to around 18 degrees in summer. I think the important thing is that the temperature varies slowly.

I think too much is made of the bad effect of temperature variation.

You need a huge variation large enough to cause enough pressure change to shift a sound cork, and I see no other reason to expect variations to be worse than constant temperature. Edit: I am not so sure of this anymore!

Also I have heard of no solid evidence for temoerature variations being bad - just assertions passed from wine writer to writer. But please do shout out if you know of any evidence