01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine Society Van delivery Vs Couriers

The WS has 141000 active members buying 8.4 million bottles a year. Having your own vans to do the delivery i am sure is financially viable. John Lewis also have their own vans and uses carriers,

2 Likes

I think in areas with a high density of members it’s probably quite efficient to run an in-house delivery service. For the more outlying members it would become more cost-effective to outsource.

1 Like

Being financially viable and financially sensible are two different things. My point is really one of ‘how often is something like having one’s own fleet against going out to carriers’ ever reviewed. There is that expression ‘just because you can doesn’t mean you should’.

Given some of the comments above, some of our members never see a WS vehicle ever anyway so wouldn’t care. Personally I’d be happy either way unless there was a significant financial reason to offload them.

1 Like

I’m not so sure. Tracking the TWS van, I see it wending its way across from the other side of Manchester (it is a big city), dropping off as it comes.

Other carriers all seem to have a closer depot, the vans come over to my local area by motorway, and then seem to drop off only within a radius of one mile. OK the depot location might be coincidence (or maybe they have several here), but the delivery pattern is more efficient regardless.

Why? The cost (capital? running?) has to be covered whether using your own fleet or someone else’s. Also worth bearing in mind - there are some places where delivery of wine is riskier than other places. It’s unlikely to be so where I live, but I hear reports of certain parts of London where stuff goes missing more regularly. And that was my experience too when I used to run a business that made some sales online. These are overheads we can only guess at which will make for higher overheads when using third party couriers, both in terms of replacement costs and management time.

1 Like

I changed to using couriers at the earliest opportunity after a string of problems with TWS deliveries. Nothing broken but wrong day so left in public view, wrong time, left outside in the rain when I am in and more.
I would like to assume they are much better now but will stick to the couriers who give me excellent service.

Even where i live i have found that the wine society van is full and i have to wait for the next available date or use a carrier. If for example it was proposed that we only use carriers that would mean the society making a whole of drivers redundand and selling warehouse s in different parts of the country. The cost of doing that would need to be taken into account. Having WS van has a public relations aspect to it. I dont know why but i look forward to seeing the WS van as opposed to seeing the carrier. I dont know how to quantify that aspect of the service.

My wine society van comes from a depot in Leeds. The carrier base is in Morley south Leeds.In both cases they would use the M1

Theres one factor that has been forgotten in all of this . That is advertising. The wine society does not do any direct advertising. The Wine society van is a herald of its existence. My first delivery was the first time i had seen a wine society van. If i had seen it before i would have been intriqued and looked it up on the web.
So i think advertising is a subtext and is easily forgotten.

1 Like

No such brilliant advertising then?

4 Likes

It is brilliant advertising if the WS delivers in your area. Its red van is a clear advert for the society. I was the first person to be delivered in my road .
I did see a Ringstone tea van and i wondered what that was and i looked it up on the WEB.

1 Like

Just had my first bad courier experience. DHL delivered my cases of Xinomavro and Society Chenin today. Just not to us. Boo.

Thankfully I could work out from the photo that they’d taken it to the house over the road. Bottles have been recovered. Would have been particularly gutted to not get that delivery now that the Xinomavro’s out of stock!

3 Likes

Bet the folk across the road were disappointed to lose their free windfall! :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I was slightly surprised they hadn’t come to let me know they’d got my wines, given they’d been in their porch for 4 hours! They hadn’t taken them in, so it looks as if they weren’t actually planning to steal them…

3 Likes

Can I change the title of this thread to ‘DHL are cr@p’? Two cases of wine ordered and dispatched under the same tracking reference. Only one has arrived, with the driver telling me there was only one case under this tracking reference. Going onto ‘my orders’ and both cases show as being delivered as they’re under the same reference. @AnaGramWords - this is why the TWS van is preferred, not through snob value but because the TWS vans deliver what has been ordered and dispatched, without any issues. An email to Member Services is warranted…

2 Likes

Wow … another case “ vanishing” into the abyss :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I am now worried that I am getting about 6 cases out of reserves via this lot. Surely can’t be worse than FEDEX?? Surely??

I do hope that TWS keep an eye on the reliability of this too. If there are a lot going astray/getting broken etc that’s worse than not getting it at all. OK you get your money back, but in the case of wine out Reserves that’s either not going to be available or not at the same price.

2 Likes

Yep, and the case that has arrived has been through the wars significantly, very battered, though thankfully the contents seem to be undamaged. Don’t get me wrong, I do genuinely fully support the Society’s strategy and decisions re closures and deliveries etc, but this isn’t the first issue I’ve had with couriers, I think I may have to curb deliveries until the TWS vans are back up and running, its just not worth the hassle.

2 Likes

I think couriers probably vary a lot by area, certainly where we are I have had no end of problems with DHL. DPD are the best ones for us, but I do know people in different parts of the country who have issues with them. Hope you’re lucky and everything arrives as expected and undamaged, fingers crossed for you.

2 Likes

Worth noting that there are only a few carriers that actually deliver wine owing to the fact that the items are heavy and fragile etc.

3 Likes