Wine Society tasting Bristol, Sat 12 November

Greatly looking forward to the Bristol tasting next weekend. Anyone else in the Community going? I wonder if it’s possible for someone from TWS to post the wine list here?

2 Likes

I’m going. I’ll be getting the bus from S.Glos so all in all should be quite the adventure!

1 Like

I wanted to go, but it’s my mother-in-law’s 70th on Saturday and we’ll be hosting many and eating much. I’d really like to go to one of these tastings at some point though. Enjoy!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure all attendees will be emailed the list prior to the event.

2 Likes

Thanks, by coincidence it dropped into my Inbox today! :+1::wine_glass:

1 Like

Leah, TWS website says there are still tickets available for the Bristol tasting tomorrow. Can you tell me how many please, or just reply ‘plenty’!

It’s just I have someone thinking of coming alone and I’d like to let them know whether they need to move quickly or can afford a more leisurely decision!

1 Like

Hello @KeynshamWine, @Leah doesn’t have access to this information - and neither does anyone else on this forum. Your best bet is to contact Member Services. Hope there are some tickets left for you! :pray:

1 Like

OK thank you!

1 Like

Well, that was enjoyable. My first in person wine tasting event. It was packed. Very well organised. Lots of glasses, crackers, water jugs and well organised tables. I think I would prefer a more focussed tasting but I did get to try some very good wines. Of the 30 there (amongst the 15 I tried), the 2 standout wines for me were these:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/sylvain-pataille-marsannay-rouge-2018

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/mendel-unus-mendoza-2019

I have quite a bit of Sylvain Pataille’s 2019 wines in my reserves, based on others’ recommendations but had not previously tried any of his wines. Wow, they live up to their reputation if this one was anything to go by. It was harmonious and oh so fresh. Delicately perfumed, redolent of tea and flowers. It was towards the end of my tasting and I capitalised “gorgeous wine”. Head and shoulders above the rest. Stunning, especially a Burgundy, at that price. I confess the need for “trying” it again, before heading to the bus station.

The Mendoza, a deep, deep purple and like the TWS notes, very plummy. Again, a well structured wine and no doubt will age well. Lots going on flavour wise and the TWS note is spot on. Quite a contrast with the above, but an attractive, fuller, wine and a nice addition to the cellar.

A case of each to reserves. It was the first time I have ever seen an actual TWS red van in real life so had to take a pic.

11 Likes

Agreed, a very enjoyable tasting, just the right number of wines for a 3-hour tasting and organisation and staff all excellent. I’m with you on the Marsanny Rouge, best red there, and quite a lot of us went back for seconds “just to be sure”. My favourite white was the Condrieu, delicious and harmonious, a basketful of apricots. Just a shame my two favourites happened to be two of the more expensive wines on show, always good when a favourite turns out also be keenly priced! In the value stakes I thought the Mencia alongside the Marsannay was enjoyable, as was the Society’s Beaujolais. And amongst the whites I thought the Chilean Sauvignon Gris was interesting amongst the lower price points. The one wine I really did not like: the German sparking rose, got nothing from it all, and it was approaching £25 from recollection.

4 Likes

Oooh! interesting. It’s definitely in my basket for Christmas, and it had a very positive mention on Tim Atkin MW’s site. I really like wines from this producer - but interesting that it didn’t do anything for you…!

It’s what makes wine so endlessly fascinating isn’t it? But now you’ve said that, I want to try it again, see if I get anything next time around! :clinking_glasses:

1 Like