01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine Prices

It is not easy to track wine price inflation as vintages inevitably vary. However, I do think that we are in for a bumpy ride. Increases in energy costs feeding through on everything from production costs and bottle costs, together with difficult growing conditions leading to early harvests across Europe must mean that 2022 vintages in the northern hemisphere at least will be subject to some serious price rises.

Does anyone have any brilliant insight in to what this could mean?

Not an insight, more a hunch: 2015/16’s are looking (almost) well priced ! tried and tested 10/10 vintages or thereabouts, yet without recent price hikes and inflation.

That’s my take on it anyhow. Fill yer boots while you can still afford to do so.

Regarding ‘a bumpy ride’ TWS has massive warehousing capacity & huge purchasing power - so that should go a long way smooth out the bumps. Furthermore the more recent warehouses are built to the latest environmental & energy saving standards, so that will also help.

7 Likes

Who’d have thought ‘all that green nonsense’ would come in handy one day? :smiley:

2 Likes

I think ensuring that the cellars are full is a good plan!

1 Like

Good for the wallet, good for the planet. And the way my pension pot is tanking, its the only way I will be able to afford good wine if I ever get to retire!

5 Likes

Checking your pension pot will not be good for your health or wine consumption levels - will need a bottle or two just to get over the shock!

3 Likes

I don’t think the value of mine has moved at all this year. Doesn’t sound too bad until you consider what’s been put in each month!

I think that prices at the lower end will inevitably rise, possibly quite a bit, due to higher input costs from almost everything.

Top end may not, as the ‘investment’ component of price is likely to be be less apparent - your comments above on value of pension pots indicates what’s happening to all asset prices…it’s coming to fine wine/whisky too and all other alternatives.

Best value may remain in mid priced wines which will still have cost pressures but these will be less as % of bottle price.

Exchange rate will have an influence too of course, but £ against euro hasn’t moved much since big move post initial Brex$hit vote. I suspect it’s not going to strengthen much from here though.

On the plus side, you can now get much better annuity rates for the smaller pension pots…

1 Like

Traditionally, from 55 years old you were advised to start taking profits on the equity portion of a pension pot and moving to Gilts…not sure that would be showing the best results now. But, I suppose that it could be a buying opportunity?

Spend your money on stuff you enjoy is my moto at the moment, while it is still worth something. And it’ll make you feel a whole lot better.

Inflation is racing away at over 10% which is the official number, but food shopping on a lot of the stuff we buy is up 20% + this year already.

Interest rates on savings are no where near inflation, but will be going up. Which is dire for some folks, but doing me a favour.

Defined contribution pots taking a hammering, some by circa 30%.

Who on earth would have thought our government could have made such a mess of things for us. Led us into one disaster after another and still cant see sense. According to the governments take on the situation this morning on Laura Kuenssberg’s program, we’re better off sticking with this mad woman rather than the torries being seen by the electorate to be unable to sort their own house out. Sadly, I have no condidence in a solution being presented through outstanding leadership, so it’s only going to get worse.

The pound in your pocket will probably continue tanking thro inflation and dire governance, so might as well spend it while it’s still worth something.

The other thing I will say before I shut up, is that a canny shopper can save considerable cash shopping around on line. Up to 30% on some wines. I’ve started buying a lot more wine from different merchants these days. I also intend filling my boots on the Black Friday thing and 25% off 6 deals the supermarkets will be having leading up to Christmas and stocking up on more wine than I normally would have.

That was on the assumption of eventual annuity purchase, so hedging the outcome. Understandably that went out of favour in last 10 years or so, but with gilt yields pushing 5% again (in other words at more normal levels) annuities may begin to look attractive again.

Or maybe we will just all buy wine and barter it!