01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine match - tuna with chilli and lime

I’m interested in people’s opinions on a wine to match with tuna and Asian style accompaniments. The tuna will be cured in lime rather than cooked and the recipe will likely include chilli, sesame, fish sauce and soy sauce. Served with soba noodles

Current shortlist:

*Saumur Champigny Vieilles Vignes 2015, Domaine Filliatreau - I’ve seen Loire Cab Franc recommended for rare tuna but I’m not 100% sure how the chilli will affect the tannins

*Martinborough Vineyards Te Tera Pinot Noir 2014 - a fairly safe match having paired similar before, but perhaps I fancy something different

*Chiroubles, Domaine du Pressoir Fleuri 2015 - more of a gut feel, and partly because I just fancy trying this. A mid weight Beaujolais, perhaps served with a slight chill? I’ve heard this recommended for curry…

Or of course a white, with a selection of Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Gruner Veltliner, Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc to choose from

Thoughts??

Weekend drinking thread 24 to 27 August 2018

I had a delicious tuna dish in Beaune recently - though it was lightly cooked

I paired it with a delicious glass of Viré-Clessé which I think was a great match. I think that with the lime cure you are probably best sticking with white myself, but would be good to know what it tastes like with a red match

I’ve had the TeTera with Sashimi and it works reasonably well . I would have preferred a white but the PN was a reasonable match . If you are set on Red then the Chiroubles would be lighter than the Saumur with less acidity to balance with the chilli and lime . Also, a Gamay based Rosé would work really well . As for whites, an Albariño perhaps ?

Aussie Riesling? Or Gruner?

Red I might go for something quite light and acidic. Alsace or German PN? Or Loire Gamay?

Interesting thoughts - thanks

I’m certainly not set on a red, its just the way my reading had taken me for the tuna but a white would make sense with the accompanying flavours

Just looking at the collection and I can add Pinot Gris (Alsace or NZ) and Semillon (Oz) to the list of white options. No Albarino unfortunately

I can vouch for this wine, which I think would be perfect.

As an alternative, there’s a Blind Spot Riesling from the Clare Valley for £9.50 which is great value. I’ve not tried that one in particular but have had good experiences with other Blind Spot wines.

Hmm, whatever I have will be straight from the cellar as its for tonight but I have a Tim Adams 2006, Mount Horrocks 2013 and Framingham 2015 (probably slightly less dry) all of which could do a good job…

Generally speaking a light red would be fine with tuna (or salmon), but the lime marinade and chilli suggests white to me. I’m with @MarkC, and his Aussie Riesling or GV.

Aussie Riesling it is then! Thanks all

Coincidence but I have a bottle of the Tasmanian Riesling open in the fridge right now. It would be a good choice with the Tuna & Lime. OR perhaps head towards Alsace… choose a dry but full bodied Pinot Gris or an older Riesling?

We went with an Aussie Riesling and it did the job nicely. Touch too much chilli in the dish to pair perfectly with anything but that’s how we like our food!