01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine match for spicy marinaded duck, asparagus and panzanella?

Any ideas?

Guessing a weighty white or a summer red… Timorasso? Red could be Caino Tinto or Sumoll… or indeed Pinot Noir

2 Likes

I’m always here for a Timorasso!

Given your love of unoaked northern italian reds, how about a Refosco? Even a lighter more Alpine Nebiollo (Picotendro). Lightly chilled Beaujolais would be another great (French) option.

My other idea (in part because I don’t have any and really fancy some!) would be Lambrusco (or a Vernaccia di Serrapetrona or other italian sparkling red).

I really want some Lambrusco now.

4 Likes

Thanks! Totally get those suggestions :laughing:

At my partner’s place, - and a much reduced stash - so unfortunately no refosco or lambrusco here. Opened the Caino Tinto for a start, and actually it’s not at all unlike a good Lambrusco, but without the fizz. Linear, dark in colour but light in alcohol Galician red, reminds me of a sophisticated red Vinho Verde.

4 Likes

Sounds like something I need to hunt out! I’m not sure I’ve ever had a non Mencia based Galician red before (or a red Vinho Verde for that matter).

3 Likes

A real test as asparagus is a really confounding addition for a wine to bridge panzanella and duck, especially a spiced one. I think it depends on the proposed spicing. Chinese, then maybe a Gewurtztraminer, Paprika then Rioja (W or R), Valencia’s or RdD, Italian spices then a lighter Valpolicella?

3 Likes

I wonder how an Alsace Muscat might go with this?

3 Likes

A lot going on there…and what will work well with one or even two would probably clash with the third. I’m thinking a Gewurztraminer maybe, which would be decent with the duck and probably a tomato based salad, and ok with asparagus. Or a lightish high acidity PN? NZ or Alsace maybe? Probably academic now as you’ve eaten!

3 Likes

Thanks. It was Indeed pretty tricky, hence the question! And even trickier given that i only had about ten wines to choose between.

Had a few wines open and i flipped between them. The Zárate albariño best with the asparagus, maybe the caino tinto with the duck.

Haven’t had an Alsace muscat for years, and not generally a fan of gewurz, so sadly i don’t think i have any of either even in my few hundred bottles at home, let alone here. Could see they could work with the asparagus, but not convinced about the duck or certainly the panzanella!

3 Likes

I’d have gone red Etna or xinomavro for the duck

4 Likes

Only lesson here is always try to have two bottles, open, i reckon :laughing:

4 Likes

At LEAST… :sweat_smile:!!

4 Likes

Just reviewing this thread and amazed nobody has suggested Alsace Pinot Gris, the food/wine matching equivalent of Godwin’s Law (the longer a food matching thread goes on the more likely that someone will suggest Alsace PG :grinning:).

4 Likes

:grin:

It’s certainly a flexible wine. Though i often prefer it from NE Italy or elsewhere - many Alsace ones I’ve had seem a touch heavy . And will it work with the panzanella?

Clearly @robertd has not chanced upon this thread yet!

2 Likes

Many Alsace ones are more suited for hearty, winter food in my view, but none the worse for that. A couple of Alsace producers rate Gewurz highly with tomato dishes so may well do ok with Panzanella, and would probably do well with the duck too.

2 Likes

Just biding my time (and I had to look up panzanella) :rofl: Yes, gewurz can go well with tomatoes, but actually, with all of the elements here, from Alsace I think I’d go with a really dry muscat. Something like Dirler-Cadé Saering Grand Cru or Kientzler Kirchberg Grand Cru would pick out something from every ingredient, standing up to the asparagus and cutting the duck. I think that pinot gris and asparagus is a bit problematic for me…

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m sure you’re right that Alsace Muscat would perhaps be the best possible match… I’d still be grateful for another bottle though :smiley:

2 Likes

Come round after lockdown and we’ll share one :slightly_smiling_face:

Another good match might actually be a pinot blanc. Can go well with tomato, freshness could work with asparagus, and depending on the duck spices, it might be OK. Maybe not in your current location, but your main cellar might have one from Alto Adige?

4 Likes

Mmmm, yes! I like Pinot Blanc. From Alto Adige definitely, Germany and Slovenia too i think.

Really should get some more Alsace wines… i guess I’m a bit put off by not knowing how sweet they’re going to be (my partner is Italian and won’t drink anything with any RS at all!), and also not knowing what to drink them with (they rarely seem right for fish). Had a nice Deiss a few weeks ago, though.

2 Likes

We buy all our Alsace wine cellar door, which does mean that we know what we’re getting in terms of sweetness. Bottles do have an indication nowadays, but yes, it can be a bit surprising. There’s most variation in pinot gris and gewurztraminer, and it does pay to know your producers. Try some Kientzler or especially Léon Beyer if you’re after a dry style. What was the Deiss? They’re unique wines, and it will be interesting to see how the style evolves as Mathieu takes over from Jean-Michel in the winemaking.

4 Likes