01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine match for roast duck for lunch tomorrow

We have bought an enormous duck from our very, very reliable, fairly long-established, C. London butcher, but what to drink? The only suitable wine that comes to mind, that is not under lock and key at an Octavian-type facility, is the Society’s Barbera D’Asti, 2018.
Please do fellow members think that this is a reasonable choice? If is not then it seems that the only decent wine merchant open tomorrow morning, that I know of, will be Waitrose, suggestions please. Many thanks.

Have you got anything from the SW?

1 Like

A Tasmanian Pinot Noir? :+1: :dragon:

6 Likes

I’m rather keen on Rioja with duck.

3 Likes

They (them again) say to have Champagne with roast duck.

I’ve never tried it - It’s way too good with Barolo, Rioja and Madiran that I see no need :smiley:

1 Like

I always think Pinot noir for duck. Recently had a Bourgogne with a duck pie that was :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Think outside of the red wine box. Try a gewurztraminer - not necessarily bone dry, but it has to be one with sufficient acidity.

6 Likes

Highly recommend a off dry riseling for a roast duck pairing.

4 Likes

Assuming the Clapham in your name means you’re in Clapham, D’vine Cellars by Clapham High Street Station opens at 11, I believe. To give you an idea of what they’ve got, this is their current home delivery list.

Depending on how much you want to spend they have a Cantina Produtori di Carema Classico DOC Nebbiolo (£25 I think) which’d work an absolute treat with duck.

Duck is high fat and rich. You need a high acid wine to cut through it. The other issue is tannin. High tannins wrap round protein.
On balance pinot noir looks a good option. But Bugundy and its slightly sweet glycerol may not be a perfect match. I would try a new world pinot. NZ or south Africa. They do not have that fat clash of Burgundy. But having said that, if you like Burgundy go for Savigny les Beaune. It is slightly more pointed than richer cote de nuits.
If Pinot is not your bag then Chianti may be the right option and ultimately Brunello de Montalcino may do the trick.

6 Likes

I may sound awful saying this but I think that if you have a good duck from a good butcher, it really merits something better than your Barbera. Very many red (and some whites) would match it. It’s a matching question where I think you can choose the red you feel like to a large degree vs needing the optimum combination on some other criteria.

4 Likes

I’d have though Musar and duck would be a lovely match.?

Yes and no. Simple food, complex wine - complex food, simple wine is quite a good missive. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well Eddie, by the looks of things so far if you take all our advice you will get completely blotto and the duck will not be appreciated at all…

5 Likes

I think your Barbera is a good match to the duck. It has the acidity to cut through the fat. It is a delightful food wine, too.

2 Likes

Tannatastic,
Your suggestion of Champagnie is simply wonderful, albeit seemingly a bit ‘out there’!
In the spirit of adventure, a bottle of Charles Heidsieck is about to be chilled.
Thank you so much for your kind suggestion.
Kind regards and all best wishes.

3 Likes

L2020,
Thank you very much indeed.
Your kind comment is much appreciated.

1 Like

Pinot or decent northern Italian for me - good Barbera or mature Nebbiolo d’Alba or even Barolo.

As mentioned previously you need some acidity but not too much tannin, and Personally I like something with black cherry fruit.

2 Likes

Thanks Wansteadbirder,
Sadly not at this moment.

Why thankyou, my life’s work in 5 words :smiley:

3 Likes