01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine Goals 2021

Continuing the discussion from What is in your basket (November - December 2020):

Have drawn a very strict, itemised and tightly budgeted buying list for this year. As mentioned in the link this will likel be one case of Cote Rotie EP or perhaps a Burgundy EP. Then a dash at the Fontodi 2016 releases and that will be pretty much it.

So am very much looking to live vicariously, really keen to hear what your hoping to get or to discover this year.

9 Likes

Any ideas on which Cote Rotie you’re after?

Looking at the lower end of the price scale, currently leaning towards Domaine Burgaud. Not tried this wine but from the write-ups of previous vintages I think it should suit . Was drawn to the descriptors “thick” and “chunky”. I know Cote Rotie is supposed to be elegant but I wouldn’t want it to be too elegant.

2 Likes

I shall take my allocation of PYCM, buy various half bottles of anything and everything to practise for my Diploma wines of the world exam in May.
Will hopefully track down some Daterra Viticultores wines as well.

2 Likes

This is exactky why I asked the question. Never heard of this producer before. Have a bottle of Mencia bought from TWS which will be a first try at some point this year.

Luna Beberide Mencía, Bierzo 2019

In Stock

Luna Beberide Mencía, Bierzo 2019

£9.50 Bottle

Fully envious of your allocation status with PYCM.

@strawpig which Cote Rotie do you fancy?

3 Likes

Rhône 2019 - Cellar worthy Cote rotie and early drinking either IGP Collines or St Jo
Maybe a CNDP - Piedlong possibly - something elegant
Burgundy 2019 - a decent village wine to open c. 2025 onwards and either a nice Bourgogne or a Passetoutgrains
Mornington peninsula PN
Clare/Eden Valley Riesling
Assyrtiko
Give Beaujolais another try
Double down on some favourite Swartland producers
Decide whether I prefer LB Bordeaux or SA LB blends

5 Likes

Some 2019 white burgundy, esp. chablis.

A few select wines from 2017 Barolo EP, to taste what the good producers can make of the vintage.

Austrian, Greek, New Italian things, as and when.

Fontodi releases.

Keep an eye out for the 2020 wines when they start coming.

Ideally no more than 100-120 bottles in total as it’s a matter of topping up the supply line now.

5 Likes

Red Burgundy, case of Vosne-Romanee Village or 1er Cru and/or Chambolle Musigny sameish level.

White, already requested, maybe seek out some top Meurseault as there seems to be a gap.

Keep building verticals with 2-3 bottles:

Clos des Trias releases, definitely the village Ventoux
Chris Alheit - Cartology and CBs
Jacky Blot - Clos Mosny mainly, try Triple Zero (thanks for the reminder @Embee)
Didier Dagueneau - take my allocation
Baudana Baudana
Paul Lato - if anything pops up
Bizot VR Les Jachees - if allocated for a sixth year :crossed_fingers:
Keller - entry level wines only

Maybe:

Some North Rhone EP, CR probably
Vie di Romans
Donnhoff Kabinetts

6 Likes

Lewis,
Daterra Viticultores is an estate in Ribeira Sacra. It was founded and is run by Laura Lorenzo. The website is good although in Spanish only. She has vines in a mountainous region and the work is really tough. Her wines are very difficult to find in the UK. Handford wines in London occasionally get them. I found out about her when reading the book “Wines from another Galaxy” by the owners of Noble rot wine bar. She makes mostly reds, to date I have been unable to get hold of any whites. I tried to buy from her online shop but she does not export to the UK. Another excellent Mencia is made by Veronica Ortega from Galicia. She did her time in NZ and also at DRC, Comte Armand and also worked with Raul Perez.

3 Likes

In case it’s helpful, I’ve had a couple of Burgauds from good vintages, 05 and 10… I’d say you want to give it 10 years minimum. Young it was quite dumb, and ‘rustic’. I’m drinking the 2010 at the moment which is at its best the day after decanting. Quite a lot of what I think was volatile acidity initially (almost a whiff of Musar) but the second day a lovely smooth full bodied northern Rhone, still with plenty of fruit and life left in it. Not displaying much by way of tertiary flavours yet. It’s a wine I can imagine not scoring/reviewing well if drunk young, but quite delicious if you can be patient. The difficulty for me is that I haven’t had enough other Cote Roties to know how this compares to other producers’ wines in roughly this price bracket.

4 Likes

My goals will be to:

1. Restock my German wines having allowed my current stock to run down more than I intended.
  2. Build up stock of Alsace wines.
  3. Find a Cabernet Franc from the Loire that can compete with the Argentine versions I have been drinking.
  4. Reduce the proportion of Bordeaux wines - will need to drink more!
7 Likes

Robin63
Best CF in Loire is Charles Joguet. He produces wines at several price points and many available from Lay and Wheeler. Very good producer, and manages lovely ripeness with his fruit which is essential with CF! DP prices range from £22 to about £37.

3 Likes

Thanks that’s really helpful especially the need for patience. Was half expecting Burgaud to need a good rest so useful to have it confirmed. Smooth and full bodied are part of the package I’m looking for so I’m definitely not dissuaded. Interesting that there as yet no tertiary flavours after 10y years.

3 Likes

As with you I have an eye on the Burgaud and also the Maison des Alexandrins. If the budget can stretch to it, I’m aiming for the Rene Rostaing Ampodium though. The 2019s are currently going for £250/6 ib.

A good reason for doing dry January: Not getting drunk and “accidentally” putting my hat in for a La La.

4 Likes

I bought a case of the Alexandrins basic viognier after a tasting last winter. I don’t know if it ever made the TWS main list, but it was excellent value, especially with the tasting discount - under a tenner, I think. So yes, one to look out for.

2 Likes

Agree!

I’ve never actually had their Cote Rotie (although I have a bottle of it sleeping from a Northern Rhone mixed case), but every other wine I’ve had of theres has been great. The Viognier you mention is amazing for the price and the Syrah and Croze-Hermitage have all been really enjoyable wines. In a similar vein I am considering the Ogier Cote Rotie, because of how much I enjoy the La Rosine wines.

4 Likes

Speaking of great value amazing viognier. I am a big fan of what is usually the cheapest white in the Rhone EP, the La Bonne Etoile viognier from Domaine Barou. I meant to grab a bottle of their Condrieu to try while it was on the main TWS list, but missed it.

2 Likes

I don’t have precise goals - but a few notions floating about… Amongst them - extending purchases from the Loire (more Cab Franc, in particular), delving even deeper into Austria (this sounds more like a military campaign :thinking:), expanding my current selection of wines from Baden and trying more expressions of Mencia.

Finally, possibly exploring more Rhone whites, especially from the North. But something else might take my fancy, so open to unplanned discoveries :eyes:

10 Likes

Inbar, if you are planning on a delve into Austria, try Judith Beck wines and in particular “Ink.” As for the Loire the Eric Morgat 2012 Chenin Blanc I bought from TWS was outstanding. As I mentioned above Charles Joguet Chinon’s are fab.
For Mencia try Veronica Ortega. Good prices and easier to get than the elusive (but magnificent) Laura Lorenzo wines. Also Raul Perez makes great Mencia.
As for Rhone whites; Yves Cuilleron is an excellent start as is Julien Pilon
Happy hunting.

1 Like

Three main things for me:

1. My in-house storage is at capacity now, which is fine. But it means I must now discipline myself to only buying sufficient to replace what has been drunk.

2. I need to think more carefully about the drinking dates for what I buy. For a while now I have been buying a lot of wine on recommendations from here. And that’s also fine, I have had, and still have, a lot of great wines bought from recommendations. However the problem is that I tend to think “oh that sounds nice I’ll pick up a bottle to try” and now I have far too many wines whose drinking window ends this year or next. Yes TWS windows tend to be a little pessimistic on their closing dates but the fact remains I have too much wine that really needs drinking within the next couple of years.

3. Somewhat ironically, I will be trying, particularly with EP, to get wines that I will not have to wait 10-15 years for. At 64 later this month it’s maybe getting a little silly to be storing wines that won’t be ready until I’m 80!

11 Likes