01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Wine Gimmicks, a Place for Them?

Following swiftly on the heels “blue” wine making its debut in London any time soon, it’s a white wine by the way with a dye added, with a special edition containing Earl Grey ?

we now have M&S releasing a Sauvignon Blanc that should appeal to five year olds with its colouring book style label, you colour it in and the best one wins a magnum of Prosecco, better not colour it in at all in that case.

of course we can all be fusty and poo poh these things but people are buying the blue wine and it is really nothing more than the first blast by the wine industry to combat the strange concoctions now being found in the spirits industry which have proved very popular.

The colouring label is supposed to be therapeutic following on from the sales of ‘adult’ colouring books that have been selling to adults ! since 2014, though trying to colour in a label on a convex surface would probably not be calming at all but probably result in the bottle being thrown against a wall, what next for all those MENSA candidates looking for something to keep the brain ticking over, crossword puzzles on bottles of Scotch.

Therapeutic my hat! This is purely and simply a marketing technique, and quite possibly a very effective one. It’s sole purpose is to get images of their wines plastered all over social media as that is how you enter.

To be honest I’m surprised we don’t see far more competitions run like this on very public social media. Much much more effective than competitions entries being posted in and only seen by the judges.

Since when has “colouring in” been divided into children and adults? In what way is this label unique towards adults?
How did it make it past the advertising regulator on that basis?
The ASA says promotion should “not suggest alcohol has therapeutic qualities or can help you overcome your problems”…
not sure how this measures up to that standard.
https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/style-and-living/colour-me-wine

Good point. You could report it to the ASA. Last time I looked it was easy to do with an online form.

I’ve done so twice. Sucessfully on one occasion - in the sense that a big wine retailer changed their promotional deals, but thus avoided getting a ruling against them.