01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine friendly cycling race on TV today

It would have been remiss of me not to mention this although I realise it’s of limited interest. One day bike race ‘Gran Piemonte’ took place earlier today. I caught the last 25km. The coverage I saw passed through Dogliani ( fab cathedral ! ) and then Monforte d’Alba, Castiglione Falletto, l’Annuziata, la Morra before finishing in Barolo ( ooo look, Cannubi ! ).

Needless to say there were plenty of great shots of the vineyards and the topography of the area, particularly from the helicopter.

It’s repeated on Eurosport 2 later tonight at 9PM and again tomorrow at 11.45AM

13 Likes

Good spot @Embee. I was watching the Criterium du Dauphine (great finish by the way from the superstar youngster Wout van Aert) so missed that Gran Piemonte was on. I will catch up on demand

2 Likes

its going to be an interesting TDF !

Jumbo Visma looking strong…

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, what a great rider and such strength in depth in that team !

Unfortunately the highlights programme I mentioned was edited, at the expense of some travelogue, to make space for interminable online betting ads. Hopefully it won’t spoil your enjoyment too much though.

You can sometimes view the original transmission via Eurosport Player but it can be random as to whether it is still there rather than just the highlights

1 Like

Jumbo Visma super strong again. Even out-Skying Ineos in a display of power to the finish.

2 Likes

Roglic is one hell of a climber and with that team behind him it’s difficult to see past him for the TDF. That said, I still don’t discount Bernal and Ineos in 3 weeks time. Can’t wait !

Indeed. I’m not a huge fan of Roglic as I prefer cyclists who are attack minded rather than defensive, however, with a strong team and his time trialling strength it’s difficult to se Ineos or anyone else putting much time into him. Looking forward to Pinot and Alaphillipe lighting up stages also!

I hope so too. And for the French fans at the roadside. I must have a closer look at this year’s stages to see if there’s any potential for wine related fun too. I loved the Alsace stage last year !