01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Wine cupboards

storage

The keep as full as possible mantra is a fact the more you have at the desired temperature also means it is slower to cool in the event of a failure.
Many years ago when we had dogs I purchased a shop sale ice cream fridge to keep the dog food in , I used to buy in bulk from the local abbatoir, and full it hardly used any power but half empty the motor could be heard running a lot more, had that for years with no problems.

I am curious because as I have requesitioned the inspection pit in my flat roof garage and it does the job well, if a quote from a builder to dig a better version in yours or anyones garage ie a better shape and depth would be advantageous over a sunken spiral cellar, you can use any shelving racking you please in any format, it must be a lot cheaper than buying a spiral cellar ?

I am also pretty sure that a cold room within a garage could be built relatively cheaply, insulation materials today are so good that it makes a project like that feasable and you could have your wine cooler within it if you wanted giving protection if needed on extreme temperatures, even flat roofs can be treated with reflective coatings to reduce heat.

I had a neighbour when at my last house that was also a barn conversion and had outbuildings, he utilised an outbuilding that way with a “cold” room to store all his produce, he was almost self sufficient in veg and that would have been little different to one for wine, it’s got me thinking now for my next move, it could be a solution.

I sketched out a design once, all you need is a few sheets of Celotex (other panels available) maybe 120/150 deep. they are 1200x 2400 and you can get a plywood backed version too. You’d only need 4 corners and you have a 4 foot square by 8 foot high box. If you filled with wine the temperature variation would be small.

I just wasn’t sure about it working and when instead for a Climdiff as a one stop solution.

You are right, and the problem is if you can do the work yourself then it becomes viable and the advantage is size, the ability to move around and see your stock as opposed to a purpose made wine cooler.
I did a bit more digging and cooler units for a wine room start from around £450 so it would be possible to create something bespoke for a reasonable sum if that is what you wanted, like all these things a bit of sideways thinking is required in order to save money, Cellotex is readily available on ebay secondhand or marked, saving money and wood for building can be salvaged at further savings as can wine racks.
A few years back though I had a cellar then I would have embarked on a project like that but to b****y old now my renovation and build days are over.

Hi there - I was wondering if you could share an example of this please? My own research for a new cooling, heating and dehumifying box is around the £2k mark…

I’m thinking of how to create a wine room in the garage too. :thinking:

If you go onto ebay second hand units are even cheaper…

As far as I know all Liebherr wine fridge models use the same filter, and there are a few UK suppliers that can be googled. If you want to be absolutely sure you could contact Liebherr directly (myliebherr.co.uk), or for a slightly less authoritative check there is a list of models that use the usual filter here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liebherr-Genuine-Fridge-Freezer-Cooler/dp/B019FD8HE8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547722510&sr=8-5&keywords=liebherr+filter

On keeping wine fridges full… I can think of many reasons to do this :slight_smile: But suspect that from an efficiency point of view it makes little difference. The main reason for the air in the fridge cooling will be when you open the door. How often do you do that? If it is quite often and you are still concerned I would suggest filling up the spaces with anything to hand, so there is less air. Chunks of polystyrene would be good - even better if you used them to actually insulate the bottles in the fridge. Just make sure you do not block air circulation in the fridge completely. Also, the more wine you have in the fridge the longer you spend rummaging around in it with the door open to find the bottle you want!

On the need for activated charcoal in wine fridge filters… I know the manufacturers claim it is needed to remove smells that might affect the wine, but what is the evidence for this? Considering all the bottles that are stored in musty cellars, garages and kitchens, can anyone point to a single example of external smells tainting a wine? On the other hand I know that there is a study showing that TCA applied externally to corks does not taint wine.

Thanks for your reply - I will check the model and purchase from Amazon, I think. Gosh, they’ve made so many models!! Surely they must have made every combination going by now.

You’re welcome. But I just want to make it clear (both to you and suspicious moderators) that I did not intend my link to promote or recommend that particular supplier - I just thought the fridge numbers might reassure you.

Absolutely understood and that possibility never crossed my mind anyway. I must admit to not trying Amazon as a source for such an odd thing, but there you go! Very helpful - thanks again.

There are all sorts of ways you can provide wine storage, even as with this version not using a cooler unit though you could add one, though this is costed money could be saved by buying damaged Celotex or equivalents and the same with second hand timeber etc, these type of constructions can be fitted almost anywhere including a garage, again I suggest doing a bit of Googling it is suprising what comes up, no not that !