01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Who is your favourite wine teacher?

Today is apparently World Teachers Day (is it Teachers, Teacher’s or Teachers’ … I think it ought to be made clearer in the context, don’t you think?)

See #WorldTeachersDay

It does remind me of the occasion recently when I bought a case of Viña Arana (a personal favourite) for my daughter’s Trumpet Teacher who was the loveliest, most supportive and committed man who helped her really evolve as a lovely musician, so I felt he deserved it.

Do you have a favourite wine & teacher story (be kind!)?

It also makes me ponder who our favourite wine teachers have been? Who has most inspired or educated you?

I went to a tutored port tasting given by Tim Stanley-Clarke about 20 years ago and he was and extremely entertaining and knowledgeable tutor.

He dismissed champagne as little more than a pop and a giggle and suggested having the sediment from one’s vintage port on toast for breakfast the following morning.

The Graham’s 1970 we had that evening was astounding and prompted me, later on, to lay down a case of 1997 Dow.

That case is resting gently in the cellars of BBR but I’m hatching plans to withdraw it and crack the first one open to see how it is developing.

Tim died a few months ago and is a sad loss to the world of wine in general and port in particular.

My favourite ‘tutored’ tasting was with the amazing Chester Osborn of d’Arenberg fame!

We were at the Wine Fair and it was early afternoon, so my palate was already shot, but we caught Chester at a rare moment of quiet (he was, understandably, quite a focal point of attraction all day and normally surrounded by tasters!) and if I remember rightly he guided us through about 8 different shirazes from different vineyard sites. Sounds a bit niche/repetitive, but the way he explained how each different vineyard site affected the taste and production of the wine was utterly fascinating. He really has a way of bringing wines to life - and was a thoroughly lovely chap as well.[quote=“Jonesy, post:2, topic:523”]
He dismissed champagne as little more than a pop and a giggle and suggested having the sediment from one’s vintage port on toast for breakfast the following morning.
[/quote]

Now THIS sounds like a character! You really can’t teach that kind of wit/charm - you either have it or you don’t. Very sad indeed to hear he’s passed away.

Michael Palij MW WSET lvl 4 Diploma. An incredible insight into how to taste and evaluate wine, and the world of wine.

Tim Standing-Joke, as we affectionately used to call him, was a great character, and is sorely missed. Loving this video of him decanting Port through a Marks & Spencer pop sock!