01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

White Burgundy alternative

request

Hi all,

Just a quick request, currently looking at finding a nice house white but I am sure this topic will be of use to many others, I have found that Chardonnay is a good food friendly grape and I have found that I enjoy a slightly fuller bodied white (thinking slightly oaked, barrel fermented or malolactic).

I do have some white Burgundy EP wines arriving at the start of next year (just the basic Domaine Andre Bonhomme Macon Villages) but was wondering if anyone had found a good slightly cheaper alternative to white Burgundy at all? I am guessing that I am looking for a good value barrel fermented, slightly malolactic Chardonnay to get the increased texture and mouthfeel?

I have a feeling that there won’t be any better value alternative white Burgundy other than a white Burgundy though but I thought I would see if anyone had any other ideas - looking for a bottle price less than £10 (which is currently where the Society white Burgundy is!).

I did have an excellent suggestion for you, Mitch. However I’ve tried to find it on the website today and IT’S GONE! :scream: The Kumeu Village Hand Harvested Chardonnay was really good, but is sadly no longer available. I’m bereft.

Others that might be worth trying would be:

or the Wither Hills Chardonnays.

Of course, there’s always the reliable Society’s White Burgundy for about the same price…

There seem to be a few Macon whites on the Society’s list under a tenner.

Then again you could try this:

The exhibition range is very reliable…