01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

Which Sherry?

Realised I never reported back on the Waitrose Blueprint Manzanilla.

It’s good, and does what it says on the tin so to speak. As you’d expect with a manzanilla, it’s a little bit more iodine/seaweedy in its minerality. It’s not as good as the fino though, but nice for a change.

1 Like

Need some advice here folks…my exploring of sherry so far has been the Romate Maribel Amontillado which I would buy again.
However if I was going to explore beyond this safe zone open to this forums ideas.
I find as the weather turns cooler it works better , so thinking about a September purchase.

Thanks

2 Likes

We also like the Romate Maribel - a lot. We have enjoyed this, though on a less regular basis

Of the drier styles, the Society Fino is a bargain, the Alegria Mazanilla is good, the Fino Perdido richer but still very dry. When TWS have it we also like La Ina fino.

This is a great Palo Cortado
https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=SH671 Goes very well with hard cheeses such as Comte.

3 Likes

Agree with all of @JayKay’s recommendations! :+1:

I would also add the 2020 bottling of Tio Pepe En Rama, if you’re after intensity, length and depth!

1 Like

Thanks folks lots to think about for a September order

Have you tried the Navazos Colet sparkling? Ages very well too.

On my wish list.

Superb manzanilla, very powerful and persistent with a wonderful balance of fruit and acidity.

9 Likes

This is the ‘basic’ Castilla fino but it is still very good with lots of finesse and persistence.

3 Likes

La Gitana En Rama 2020, not as common as the Tio Pepe ER and not quite as good either. Shy nose, saline, bitter (in a good way) taste, not very complex. The haze is on the glass, not the wine. Would doubtless taste much better in sunny Sanlucar rather than a cold and wet evening in the Midlands.

8 Likes

Callejuela Manzanilla Origen

A rather ordinary, basic manzanilla with little complexity.

1 Like

Sacristía AB Saca 2018 Manzanilla.

Top quality manza, perfect with some Cantabrian anchovies.

6 Likes

Does anyone have any recommendations for online merchants of sherry with a fairly wide range? I’m a recent convert (particularly to Manzanilla) having visited the region last year and have worked my way through the affordable end of TWS list so I’m looking to branch out a bit, as well as sticking with some TWS favourites, but at a loss where to start.

Try Decantolo. I have bought plenty of sherry from them and they seem to have a good selection.

1 Like

I’d also recommend Décantalo as well as Gourmet Hunters.

1 Like

Thanks both, looks like good value at Decantalo, will give that a try

2 Likes