Which Sherry?

Just got a bottle of the Tio Pepe en Rama today as well. I would also be very interested to hear food pairing suggestions!

Anchovies in oil, good quality Spanish ham, Manchego cheese, chorizo, olives, cured pork, morcilla (black pudding), chicharrones (pork scratchings), dried tuna.

6 Likes

Great suggestions from @Richard! :heart_eyes:

Boquerones (whole Spanish anchovies in vinegar usually) are probably my favourite - Waitrose, M&S and Sainsbury’s sell them, and Basco too. See:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-adriatic-anchovies/075894-38516-38517

Or

I also love Fino and Manzanilla with padron peppers - again, most supermarkets sell them now. Fry briefly in plenty of olive oil until they are slightly blistered, then scatter coarse salt flakes… Yum!

3 Likes

That would be palo cortado as recommended by @robertd

1 Like

Aha! Thanks.

If you are interested there is a Wine and crisps thread which started this trend and also covers other combinations

1 Like

The disappointing thing is that they’ve changed the recipe for Twiglets, removing 60% of the salt, and leaving them a pale shadow of what they once were :frowning: We’ve even considered opening a pot of Marmite to use as a dip :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Now pairs well with

10 Likes

Well, my local Portuguese deli has delivered on ham, green olives and lovely fat anchovies…

For me the anchovies are especially fine with this.

12 Likes

An elegant Palo Cortado

7 Likes

Half the bottle of Tio Pepe En Rama remains in the fridge. Interested in any thoughts on how long these last when opened…?

I’m sure opinions will divide on this matter - but for me, a week or so is about right. Aside from the fact that they rarely ever survive for longer in my house - they simply tend to lose their focus and freshness for me after about a week. The Romate Fino Perdido lasts fairly well into 2 weeks - but even then there is a perceptible reduced zing to it.

2 Likes

I think you might need some salt to season it all.

I’d agree with @Inbar. Wine writers sometimes get a bit shrill about needing to treat like white wine and finish within a week, but nothing shocking happens for quite a while, they just gently fade away. Amontillados and Olorosos give you much longer to play with.

Sherry Notes (a site worth knowing) has a nice article on this. I found his credo ‘remember to relax’ helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh, yes, they are much more forgiving - especially Oloroso. But Palo Cortado too, though again - rarely do they stick around for longer than 2 weeks… Too good :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Thank you both, very helpful!

That looks splendid, maybe a warm summer evening would be better!

If you can find these, they are absolutely delicious olives, lovely meaty texture, and just the right amount of heat

9 Likes

I like the Pata de Gallina but the Emperatriz Eugenia is my favourite Lustau Oloroso (so brooding!)

I did recently find a bottle of dry amontillado in a cupboard that I bought maybe 12 years ago… no great loss if it’s faded away or gone off but might be interesting to try!

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I’ve had mostly the opposite reaction (preferring the Pata de Gallina), but at least for bottles coming from Waitrose I think there’s been a fair amount of variation with both. It may be my imagination, but I’ve wondered about their stock control.

1 Like