01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Which Sherry?

My choice as well. Callejuela make fabulous sherry.

1 Like

Another from the Grau expedition. Clearly not sherry, though a bit of it is sherry, so I’ll share it here. Collaboration between Colet (cava) and Equipo Navazos (sherry) - an aged cava with some palo cortado and amontillado replacing the dosage, seemingly for the heck of it.

I’d love to give you a more insightful description of the result but it’s a quality cava with notes of good sherry, and very nice it is too! A quirky but successful experiment.

11 Likes

Very interesting experiment! I found this podcast really interesting - talking about the options available for dosage, including some somewhat scientific A/B testing - Adventures in Dosage

2 Likes

Where is this place? I’m in Girona and Tarragona at the end of September and looking for places to do a bit of shopping.

I love that shop! Haven’t been for a while obviously but it is fantastic.

1 Like

It’s a bit under an hour from Girona. I’ll can’t manage to link to google maos any more elegantly than this but here it is (Vins i Licors Grau +34 972 30 18 35 https://maps.app.goo.gl/ScfEY4FPQnPfVuVH6?g_st=ic)

If you make it this far and you have the time I would also recommend a bite to eat at the terrific Calau tapas bar in nearby lovely Calella de Palafrugell.

1 Like

Can’t recall seeing Palo Cortado in an English supermarket before. This is decent, if lacking complexity.

5 Likes

Morrison’s has a Palo Cortado. Decent too for the price.

1 Like

Morrisons do one. Decent rather than spectacular, but v. good value with the discount currently being offered:

1 Like

M&S regularly stock one (Very Rare Palo Cortado, usually £8 for half a bottle), as does Waitrose with their No.1 Torre del Oro Palo Cortado made by Lustau. I usually have one of either in the fridge for a midweek consumption, as it’s my favourite style of Sherry.

2 Likes

Thanks all. I’d forgotten about the Waitrose version. No Morrisons near me.

Tried these recently. The palo cortado is ok for a supermarket wine, the oloroso is a blend and medium sweet (which name isn’t allowed in Spain as oloroso has to be dry). Both bottled by Lustau.

The third is bone dry but not very complex. An ungenerous generoso. From Waitrose.

The Obispo Gascon was easily the best, and the most expensive - detailed, involving, subtle. From the Whiskey Exchange.

7 Likes

Fino from Chiclana which is inside the zone of production but not the three towns, although this is less significant now given the rule changes.

Has a distinctive Chiclana taste, broad, almost sour, little flor evident on the nose. Different and moreish. From Licores Corredera in Jerez, about €10 for a 50cl bottle.

8 Likes

I sense there’s going to be quite a few posts in this thread from you in the next week or so :grinning:

Have a great trip

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll do my best.

4 Likes

The result of modernisation by the younger generation at Bodegas Baron, which had previously seemed to me rather staid.

A pretty good manzanilla en Rama, quite broad, hay and salt flavours. About €7 for a half bottle.

6 Likes

Great label too

2 Likes

At the Fundador (Harvey’s) tapereria for lunch, a few minutes walk from our apartment. Decent tapas and the fino is superb. A shame it is hard (or impossible) to find in the UK.

5 Likes

This isn’t a sherry, being produced and aged in Trebujena, outside the Triangle. But future bottles will be, thanks to a change in the Regs. Big nose, big flavour, decent price at around €4 for 50cl.

4 Likes

We tried a bottle of this in England recently, supplied by Spanish Wines Direct.

This was a half bottle bought in Sanlucar, where it is made. Different, better, worse? Regret my tasting memory is not up to it so I can’t say. But a very decent drink, quite broad, at a bargain €3.5.

6 Likes