01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Which of these Rioja's for a gift

Hi

I would like to purchase a nice bottle of Rioja for my brothers birthday, I know he likes Rioja and he has also visited the province on a trip to Spain.

I have a few in mind but unsure what one I should go for, I have tried the Muga recently myself and he has seen that bottle, so want something else.

These are the ones im looking at:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/la-rioja-alta-vina-ardanza-reserva-rioja-2012-033a7ad7

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/lopez-de-haro-classica-gran-reserva-rioja-2004

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/la-rioja-alta-vina-arana-gran-reserva-rioja-2015

What would be your choice?

Thanks

If he likes Rioja but is not a crazy wine head like us lot then he might not have ever tried a good mature example. In which case the Lopez de Haro could be something a little out of the ordinary for him. I had the 2001 recently and thought it a wonderful smooth mature Rioja.

Otherwise for a present there’s a lot to be said for going for the Aran GR just because a gran reserva is always going to feel a little more special that a reserva.

4 Likes

I gifted a 2004 LdH last week. They come wrapped in some nice paper with similar or perhaps same art as the label. Had a bottle with family last summer which was rather nice. Weekend drinking thread [12 to 14 August 2022] - #56 by Ieuanf

3 Likes

If he likes big bold wines, then the Viña Arana would be first choice.

If he likes a more traditional, savoury wine, then the LdH would be the best bet.

And if he likes a bit of both, then the Viña Ardanza is probably best :grinning:

3 Likes

@MikeFranklin
If you have access to a Costco, I believe they are still doing the Viña Arana 2014 for £24.99. Still a few bottles in my local store (Farnborough). It seems like a good price.

2 Likes

I would go for the 2004, but I am known to have expressed some reservations with regards to Rioja in the past. Would be even better if the year started with a 1.

2 Likes

My vote goes to Mike’s suggestion! All three are great wines but the Ardanza is readily available, the Arana probably needs a few years to be spectacular, whereas the Classica is well aged and ready now. Much harder to find a 2004 Rioja unless you know where to look or prepared to spend the money on a bottle. Plus I think there is something fun about trying an aged wine if you like Rioja.

5 Likes

In my view the 2012s and 2015s are only just ready to drink. Personally won’t be touching my dozen 2012s for at least a few years. Haven’t had the 2004 but the 2001 was a lovely mature and mellow rioja.

3 Likes

The ardanza is a hands down great wine

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will go for the Lopez de Haro.

4 Likes

Sorry for being contrary but I would introduce him to Ribera Del Duero :innocent:

5 Likes

Funnily enough we’ve just a couple of weeks ago taken out a business account with them, not really for wine but… and whilst I’m down south, as I am now, I do have access to them…oh dear!

1 Like

The 14 isn’t a patch on the 15!