01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

Where have all the Argentinian wines gone?

TWS is currently listing just 9 wines from Argentina, counting both reds and whites. There is nothing at all from Mendel who normally have at least 2 or 3 on the list and no Exhibition Mendoza Malbec (which is normally made by Catena). What has happened? Is this COVID-related? Can anyone from the Society explain? @Toby.Morrhall

1 Like

Sales of the Mendel wines were far higher than planned. New vintages have been ordered but there are big delays on shipping. Exh Malbec was removed from the web because shipping delays again has left us with little stock. It will appear in the new list next week. In the short term and on the Xmas list we will have less wines than normal.

I have ordered quite a few new wines for next year. When they will arrive depends on the shipping scenario which is looking even worse than it has been.

21 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Toby. Glad to hear its a temporary glitch. (I love Mendel especially, and was concerned by its absence.)

1 Like

Here’s hoping for some more variety from Susana Balbo.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information Toby, kind of you to interject.
I was glad the Unus was cheaper in the 2018.
Would it be unfair to ask you about the Mendel Cuvee that Majestic sell. I couldn’t find anything on the web about it. Does it fit into the range between straight Malbec and Unus or something else.
Please just say if you can’t say. Don’t want to put you in a bind.

I do not know about that wine.

1 Like

Is that affecting all of South America or Argentina particularly? Must make that aspect of your role pretty challenging.

Its bad everywhere but it lengthens leadtimes for the longhaul routes, South America and Australasia, which are long enough already. So if something sells more quickly than planned its hard to get it back in stock in time and is likely to leave gaps.

7 Likes

Sadly Bernardo Weinert has died.

3 Likes

Looks like the future of Weinert is in good hands.

3 Likes

“I echo that thought. Broach a bottle of Weinert and toast Bernardo Weinert’s great vision and skill in creating such an individual style of wine.”

From your instagram post. I’ll be doing this this evening. A sad loss, although as @NW3Andre says, the future is in good hands.

6 Likes

Yes, his daughter Iduna has turned the company around and it has a bright future under her leadership.

6 Likes