01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What's your favourite Society or Exhibition wine?

twstaste
discovery

Same for me I’m afraid. The one’s I’ve tried have all been good, but not mind blowing. The last one I tried was the Mendoza Malbec which was fine.

To be honest when flipping through the list I perhaps think of them as ‘own brand’ and not as interesting then choose something of a similar or slightly higher price that is a winemaker bottling / labelling, which is unfair of me as I know full well that the exhibition wines are from some very respected producers.

Yeah. I guess they’ve suffered by comparison - the Victoria Shiraz, for example, wasn’t a patch on the Mt Langi Ghiran house wine, but then it was a whole lot cheaper! Have to say though there’s no way I’d risk a Hermitage!

Haut Médoc 2014 for me

The first wine I got from the society, and it’s been a firm favourite ever since!

I also loved this!

Well, my two favourites are not listed at the moment; the Exhibition Sancerre and the Society’s Chilean Pinot Noir, so I choose:

and

Just because I haven’t tried them and I would like an opportunity to do so with my favourite tasting team!

I’m looking forward to tasting the Haut-Medoc (my first delivery is tomorrow). I’m out in the sticks and Tesco (a 12 mile round trip) is not my friend for casual everyday wine buying (French reds). Barring any disasters TWS should have a happy and regular customer.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

If I had to choose favourites:

The Society’s Vinho Verde
Exhibition Haut Medoc
Exhibition Mature Medium Dry Oloroso
The Society’s Valpolicella Ripasso
The Society’s White Burgundy

I have to say I don’t find the Society and Exhibition wines to be staid, rather the epitome of their type. They are the gems of the list, hidden in plain sight.

+1 for the Vacqueyras. The clear winner at our recent tasting of Rhône wines.

Definitely these two:

My favourite so far (I’ve not yet tried many of them) is the Pauillac especially as the current one is the great 2010 vintage:

However I suspect the Hermitage might top it and maybe the Rioja Gran reserva

These:

Honourable mentions for Society Beaujolais, Society Valpolicella Ripasso, Exhibition Limari Chardonnay, Exhibition Gruner, Exhibition Crozes-Hermitage - all excellent :+1:

Based on previous vintages the NZ Chardonnay is a class act

Going for one each of Society and Exhibition…

Reds…

Sicilian red does it for me.

Exhibition

Honourable mentions to the California Old Vine Zinfandel and the Primitivo (same grape) though the latter seems to have vanished from the current list.

White

Would have gone for the Alsace which again seems to have vanished for the time being. Would therefore go for

and would second this one already nominated.

In a way I would like to see ones that I don’t know on the tasting list though, as there’s quite a few I haven’t sampled. Also ones that used to be my ‘go to’ but an indifferent vintage has put me off. Corbieres and Verdicchio being examples. I’m sure they will or already have returned to form…

Any of the St Eulalie reds

Easy decisions for me.

and a +1 for the Society’s Exhibition Haut Medoc

The gems of the list hidden in plain site.

I like that.

I think I can understand a slight reluctance with regard to the tws wines that I have myself been guilty of. There’s a little less romance as compared to chateau this and domaine the other. I experience a similar reluctance when considering buying, for example, a Guigal; they maybe excellent wines but somehow lack a certain je ne sais quoi. And yet, personally, I don’t think I’ve been disappointed by any of the tws wines I’ve tried.

Thank you! They’ve been a really important part of my “wine journey”. They deserve the love.

The Society’s Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine sur Lie 2017… an absolute steal at the price of £7.75. Clean, crisp, minerality… already my 2019 Summer wine (another couple of cases due tomorrow!!!)