01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What's your favourite Beaujolais Cru and why?

Over the years I have tasted so many different Beaujolais Crus and have run several horizontal blind tastings, pitching them against one another, always intrigued how different they can be, all being varietal etc.

I once asked a well-known Beaujolais producer (I will not name him) what his favourite Cru was and after a very long and expansive explanation revealed it was Chenas.

My favourites three in order would be Morgon, Chenas and Moulin-a-Vent. What’s yours and why?

I’ve not drunk enough to have a truly informed opinion, but so far Morgon, by a big margin

Depends on my mood and what I’m after.

Morgon, Chenas an Moulin-a-Vent are clearly the darker, more tanic and structured crus, and the ones that’ll age. I’ve had some particularly fantastic Morgon’s recently. I had an excellent Regnie that punched above it’s weight and was very soy-sauce savoury in this vein too.

I am also a huge fan of some of the lighter more elegant styles, especially Fleurie and Saint Amour. If push came to shove I’d probably hedge and say Fleurie, Morgon, Saint Amour

Great question, I just wish I knew the answer.

I’ve not drunk enough of the different Beaujolais Crus and none in a comparative situation to develop a solid opinion.

Think this is probably my favourite so far, but need to drink more.

Do you mind telling us why those three Crus and in that order?

Also I’m having roast pork for lunch tomorrow and already had Beaujolais in mind. Got these four to choose from, any recommendations on which to choose? We will eating experimental slow-roast pig cheek (WHOLE pig cheek, thanks to a miscommunication with the butcher).

The Anne Sophie Dubois Fleurie is giving me massive wine envy, but I’d keep that until it’s a bit more clearly spring. Where did you pick it up?

With the pork I’d possibly go mid weight and have the Cote de Brouilly or the Chenas.

In fact, I want all these wines!

That sums it up for me too. Usually it depends on what I’ll be eating with it. For an uncomplicated midweek meal I’m quite happy to drink a red fruited non cru wine.

That said, the contents of the wine cupboard would indicate I have a preference for the more structured, usually dark fruited, crus such as Morgon ( Cote du Py especially ) and Cotes de Brouilly. However, that could be because I like the wines of J-M Burgaud and Chateau Thivin who make characterful wines, with a sense of place, from those appelations.

Fleurie, from vineyards, close to the border with Moulin a Vent have also impressed. No doubt Moulin a Vent might be up my street too but I haven’t tried enough wines to truly form an opinion.

Was from The Winery at this tasting:

Not a delicate Fleurie at all, but no less delicious for it.

I think this makes another great point about Bojo. While each Cru does still have a house style, there’s a lot of great experimentation and excitement going on across the region at the moment so there’s a huge amount of variation.

I am rapidly becoming a massive Beaujolais nerd!

Also looks like I’m due a trip up the Bakerloo line to see if they have any in stock!

Great question!

I’d say Morgon and Regnie. These were the two cru from which I brought back Beaujolais on our last extensive tasting trip to the region.

Why? Because I enjoyed them the most and proved it by buying them. Why? I suppose because they are bigger wines.

I thought Bojo had another meaning nowadays!!

Obviously the Chenas for me!

Since visiting the region (one of the most picturesque wine regions in France) several times and criss-crossing its lanes repeatedly, lunching etc, I have come to think that Morgon is the most voluptuous of the ‘heavier’ styles which I prefer. The Chenas is also a favourite because of my friend’s recommendation and the fact that it is still relatively under-appreciated, a sort of best kept secret if you will. Of course M-a-V is the one to keep in the cellar! to bring out and confound friends with who hardly ever pick it as a Beaujolais.
In truth I like all Beaujolais. There are some incredibly well made ‘Villages’ wines if you can find them too.

Just realised I forgot to include the link to my favourite:

And this was pretty delightful too:

Depends hugely upon the grower - or so says Andrew Jefford. And I tend to agree, however In my opinion, with duck or an autumn stew (given a half dozen years bottle age) Julienas usually delivers. With salad or ham / pate dishes, then a young Chiroubles is lovely.

I find Moulin-a-vent can be expensive & overrated, and BJL made in a ‘Burgundy style’ is just wrong - but that’s down to personal taste.

Haha! I am left wondering how many off our WS wine tourists made the effort to go to Beaujeau itself, a little further off the beaten track?

Not been yet.

It was going to be my Easter break, but that is looking less likely at the moment!

I make no claim to deep knowledge, but I’ve always found Morgon, especially from the Côte du Py, to be my favourite when doing comparative tastings - I like its structure. In that, I seem to be running with the crowd a bit, but no problem in that!

We’ve only visited the once, stopping just the one night when passing through on the way back from a week in the Gard. Very happy memories though. Beautiful countryside, wonderful wines at Dominique Piron (very glad to see that TWS now stocks his wine), a warm evening enjoying a meal on a terrasse in Régnié-Durette, and then walking back to where we were staying outside the village with stars blazing out of an incredibly clear sky…

In general terms, Moulin-a-Vent, Morgon, Fleurie in that order. I find Moulin-a-Vent the perfect mid-point between the structure of Morgon and the sophistication and finesse of Fleurie.

But, and it has to be a big but, my best ever Beaujolais experience was drinking a lightly chilled Brouilly with a Basque mixed grill at the beach cafe at Milady Plage in Biarritz. We have family who live nearby in Arcangues and we had splendid “en famille” lunch on a warm October day. Perfect. I’ve had a soft spot for a chilled Brouilly on a warm day ever since.