01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What's in your basket May/June

Im on a roll with Il Poggione

Also added these 2 cases to reserves

12 Likes

First Howard Ripley order, all by email, fast and effective.
Jancis had a piece in weekend FT: Germany is a hotbed of young wine talent - Subscribe to read | Financial Times via @FT I have tried to find a free version without success. @Richard has often come to the rescue previously.

Edit: this free link should work: A brilliant idea | JancisRobinson.com

Wines in the ‘golden generation’

Locations of these rising stars are in brackets. Six bottles for £135 from Howard Ripley, including delivery in England or Wales

WHITES

• Achenbach, Porphyr Riesling 2020 Rheinhessen (Wonsheim) 12.5%
  • F E Huff, Schwabsburger Riesling 2020 Rheinhessen (Nierstein) 12.5%
  • Seehof, Westhofen Scheurebe 2020 Rheinhessen (Westhofen) 12.5%

REDS

• Mertz, Steinalt Portugieser 2019 Franken (Eckelsheim) 13.5%
  • Giegerich, Pitztaler Berg Spätburgunder 2018 Franken (Grosswallstadt) 13%
  • Leipold, Obervolkacher Spätburgunder 2017 Franken (Volkach) 13%

Plus a half case of the Leopold PN.

9 Likes

Sorry, not this time.

As luck would have it was included in an email from JR today so have added above.

3 bottles of the Fixin ordered. Lots of notes out there to recommend it.

3 Likes

CVNE Monopole Classico Blanco, Rioja 2016 into reserves. Probably 3 coming out very shortly and 3 being left for an as yet to be determined time in the future.

(Or possibly I’ll just buy a second case)

4 Likes

Some interesting Burgundies are creeping on to the list, from some very fine vintages.

Domaine Berthaut Fixin Les Crais 2015
BU65931• 2 Bottles £70.00

Jérôme Galeyrand, Gevrey-Chambertin Billard 2015
BU66121• 1 Bottle £42.00

Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet, Vosne-Romanée 2016
BU70561• 1 Bottle £54.00

Bouchard Père et Fils, Monthélie 2019
BU78831• 1 Bottle £24.00

Domaine Changarnier, Monthélie Premier Cru Champs Fuillot 2019
BU79491A1• 1 Bottle £35.00

Not cheap, admittedly, but these are very good wines, from some great producers and by Burgundy standards, the prices are competitive. Monthélie is a hidden treasure, based upon my past experience. The Society used to offer an Exhibition Monthélie, which was exquisite and very well priced. Not sure why they stopped offering it but hopefully the current ones, on the list, are of a similar standard.

Edit: Actually, I just found the answer to my query, by using the search function. Toby Morrhall previously posted the following:

The first few vintages of Exhibition Monthélie, from Jadot, were excellent. Subsequent vintages were less consistent so we stopped. Changarnier is excellent, in a pretty, fine boned style, a junior Volnay. 2019 is already lovely. We buy some Monthélie from Bouchard’s own domaine which is good too and will appear when ready for drinking.

8 Likes

That Galeyrand has tipped me into buying some and the Fixin too. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

I’m on fire with my bids, I think it’s the 3rd successful one in a week.
Cheaper than the TWS EP price in 2019
Cheers to that

10 Likes

I’m 50 on the 30th so a birthday present to myself…

• Cart

Bleasdale Langhorne Creek Sparkling Shiraz

• Code: SG871A

• 1 Bottle

• £11.95

• Cart

Elk Cove Vineyards Willamette Valley Estate Pinot Blanc 2019

• Code: US9391

• 1 Bottle

• £16.00

• Cart

Fuentes del Silencio Las Jaras, León 2018

• Code: SP17181

• 1 Bottle

• £17.50

• Cart

S.C. Pannell ‘Fi Fi’ Fiano, McLaren Vale 2021

• Code: AU24651

• 1 Bottle

• £18.00

• Cart

Anselmo Mendes Pardusco, Vinho Verde 2020

• Code: PW9641

• 1 Bottle

• £9.75

• Cart

Roditis, Tetramythos 2021

• Code: GR2401

• 1 Bottle

• £10.50

• Cart

Domaine Berthaut Fixin Les Crais 2015

• Code: BU65931

• 1 Bottle

• £35.00

• Cart

Jérôme Galeyrand, Gevrey-Chambertin Billard 2015

• Code: BU66121

• 1 Bottle

• £42.00

• Cart

Ilha do Pico ‘Frei Gigante’, Pico Açores 2018

• Code: PW9501

• 1 Bottle

• £25.00

• Cart

Coteaux d’Aix en Provence, Château Vignelaure 2015

• Code: FC41491

• 1 Bottle

• £20.00

• Cart

Madiran, Domaine Pichard 2009

• Code: FC29451

• 1 Bottle

• £16.00

• Cart

Riesling, Bürgergarten Trocken, Müller-Catoir 2019

• Code: GE14651
  • 1 Bottle
  • £18.50
25 Likes

I tasted that Azores wine with the winemaker last night. He was very nice and so was his wine. I didn’t realise he’d be there (Festa) and coincidentally had already ordered a bottle myself, which was a nice conversation starter. Slightly expensive at £25, but not really in the context of winemaking on a windswept slab of magma.

Apparently Frei Gigante is the crazy giant priest whose idea it was to plant vines in the cracks in the rock as that was the only way the vines would take root.

On talking to him (Bernardo? Maybe, my memory is a little hazy), there’s a real drive for quality on the islands and they’re pushing for increased exports - big demand in the US apparently - no longer satisfied with a domestic, tourist market. I think there’s a reasonable chance it could end up like Santorini - demand outstripping potential production. His whites were all great (one of them previously sold by TWS), the one red had a lovely nose, was quite delicate in appearance but had a slightly rustic finish.

All the vines are protected from the wind by dry stone walls made of volcanic rock. Bernardo said it’s because the islanders had nothing else to do. Sounded rather labour intensive to me, but apparently when they have earthquakes the house fall down, but not these walls.

19 Likes

Interesting to read this anyway, but doubly so as I also have one of these too, waiting to open probably this evening to road-test before - hopefully - putting some in reserves. One of those wines you really look forwards to opening. You can kind of anticipate broadly what it’ll be like, but not the specifics. Can’t wait.

2 Likes

Some great choices, @NickFoster. Best wishes for your birthday, Nick, a very difficult one, I am sure, given the awful year that you have had. I think that we are all aware where your thoughts will be but these will be a fine way to share these with Katie. All the best and I am sure that we will all be thinking of you and wishing you well.

19 Likes

This was my little haul from last night. The glasses were free with the price of admission and I decided to stop at 2 bottles to lug back across London and home on the pitiful excuse of a service my rail provider was offering on a non-strike day.

Hugo was a charming guy. So passionate and excited about his wines, the quality of which supported his enthusiasm. He said his winemaking style is very emotional, but his degree (and prior career) in biochemistry gave him an excellent understanding of the implications and consequences of his emotive impulses.

His amphora-aged red was my wine of the night, but at £40 I just couldn’t justify it. Some morning-after FOMO regret, but I’m sure I’ll cope :grin:

Bravo Hugo Mendes, look out for his wines (he was recommended to us by three other winemakers).

20 Likes

Today, I have put a mixed case of 12 into reserves, to be forgotten about for some five years or so.

Barolo Coste di Rose Bric Cenciurio 2016
IT33671 2 Bottles £78.00

Barbaresco, Produttori del Barbaresco 2018
IT33631 2 Bottles £58.00

Amarone della Valpolicella Corte Giara, Allegrini 2019
IT34891 3 Bottles £78.00

Chianti Classico, Felsina Berardenga 2019
IT33311 2 Bottles £39.00

Chianti Classico, Isole e Olena 2019
IT33831 3 Bottles £63.00

21 Likes

Have you had the Felsina Berardenga before? I have been looking at it and wondering…

Inspired by @Rafa - any thoughts on drinking dates?

3 Likes

I’ve done a BBR withdrawal too ….

5 Likes

@11744 i would wait 5 years before cracking the first bottle.
If you like something for drinking now the 2011 and 2012 are excellent. I got another case of the 2012 a few days ago for £150.
It got 95+ points from WA
“Il Poggione is a Brunello superstar and a vintage like this reveals every reason why that affirmation is true. From the second the 2012 Brunello di Montalcino pours into the glass, you know you are in for something special. The wine is darkly saturated and rich in appearance. Absent are those slightly amber or browning hues you often get with Sangiovese in a hot vintage. Nor does the wine show flat or tired characteristics. Instead, the quality of fruit is vibrant and rich. This is a healthy, generous and exuberant Brunello with dark density and succulent fruit flavors that are followed by integrated spice and tobacco. The balance is impressive and one thing you get here is fresh acidity. This is not to be underestimated, because the acidity quota in the 2012 vintage across the appellation is not as high or evident as usual. This is one of the year’s best Brunellos.”

11 Likes

No, I haven’t tried it yet, but will report back when I have opened one, I have some at home as well.

1 Like