01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What's in your basket? [23 July]

weeklyshop

Some EP for me this week, at least I hope there is!

My fingers are crossed now the Bordeaux EP has closed that I will be able to add this to cellertracker:

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/france/bordeaux/chateau-plince-pomerol-bordeaux-france-2017-20350

(I wish EP wines had their own page so I could link to them!)

And, thanks to the Rhône 2016 chat on here I decided to add some of the Les Racines Gigondas to my order. No confirmation yet, so I’m hoping for good news x2 this week.

Right , I really need to pull my finger out on this before its all snapped up!!

[Edit - phew - I’m told they do have ‘stock’ so order placed]

As I mentioned last week in relation to a new Kekfrankos on the list, I found a few interesting wines, while browsing the website and have placed an order for the following:

Savoie Chignin Vieilles Vignes Domaine A&M Quenard 2017 - this caught my eye as it is from a grape I have not heard of before - Jacquere - and also it is relatively low alcohol at 11%, yet bone dry

Villany Kekfrankos Nagytotfalu 2012 Hummel - I posted about this here

Bugey Cerdon Methode Ancestrale Demi Sec Cave Wojtkowiak - I will any day have a Demi Sec sparkler, this one a rose (?) from Gamay

Viognier Domaine Pichon 2016 - I am very interested in wines from the Collines Rhodaniennes IGP and the key phrase here for me was lighter than Condrieu

These four as a little step into the unknown and further two…

Bourgogne Rouge Domaine Ghislaine Barthod 2011 - I just have to have a Bourgogne Rouge from her whenever it appears, have not been disappointed yet, saying that this is just a few years older than I would have it, so will be interesting to see for potential of younger vintages

The Society’s Southern Spanish Red Jumilla 2017 - This is a Community favourite that I have never tried… also just realised it is 100% Mourvedre (!)… this omission will now be corrected — also practically this costs £0.75 as it tips the order over £75 thus saving the delivery charge

Various and slightly unrelated items in my basket currently. No real ‘theme’ as such, just wines that piqued my interest. Plus 2 alcohol free beers that @szaki1974 recommended. Looking forward to trying it! Curious to try the Crémant de Savoie, as I think it’s the newest AOC (Dec 2015, I think).

A few bits to collect tomorrow to top up a belated Rhone 2016 EP order

The Saint-Pourçain got very good reviews in the recent Decanter. I like the idea of a Gamay-Pinot blend. Sound just up my street in terms of light and juicy red, with (hopefully) a good measure of acidity.

The reviews seemed good and there is a personal connection to St Pourcain which made it something I couldn’t pass up

Pray, do tell (if you can)…? :blush:

Her wines are fabulous, aren’t they. I’ve got four of the 2012s left from when they came on the list earlier this year. Just a shame that this is probably the only wine of hers that I can afford nowadays - about ten years ago I bought her 2001 1er Cru Les Baudes for just over 40 quid. Those prices are long gone…

Agree it is a shame with Burgundy prices… I have some 2016 Chambolle-Musigny bought from another merchant (for investment purposes)… will most probably sell it (unless I win the lottery) and stick to the Bourgogne Rouge appearing on the TWS list from time to time for drinking.

I preferred it when the big, gut-busting mega-reds were fashionable, and nobody gave a damn about Burgundy.

Ah, I’m afraid nothing wine related per-se. Just happy memories of family holidays as a child. Sad to say Dad’s funeral is on Wednesday so it seemed fitting to take a bottle of this to share with the family tomorrow night and relive some fond memories!

Nick, I am sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear about your dad, Nick! :cry:
Thankfully good memories remain- and sounds like you got a fitting farewell planned.

Thanks guys, yes so many good memories and that’s how we’ll remember him

Plus a few other recommendations and some of the Tahbilk Marsanne for keeps

On the assumption that this gorgeous weather is set to last a while yet I have these coming on Wednesday as my rose supplies are running low. I have also ordered a few other bottles, most, if not all, which have been recommended by the Community, so many thanks for your tips and knowledge.

I liked the story about the bottle shape.

(Sorry they show as out of stock, it is because I took the link from my order, and that changes the link…I don’t know how to fix it, apols. Robert posted about removing the historic url, but that is beyond me)

basically all wines have the same link structure, that begins:

/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=

so if a wine is out of stock you can add ‘historic’ before ‘ProductDetail’ and it will show again:

/shop/HistoricProductDetail.aspx?pd=

Fab, thank you Tom, I have fixed it, much appreciated!

Hopefully with a couple more picnics in the diary I’ll have cleared just about enough space to make room for the below order which just went in.

Two roses from the tempting email sent during a heatwave.
Some red (and white) fine wine from NZ to help Sarah’s cause on the back of the AMA
A replacement aged Rioja because I loved the first bottle so much and it’s still in stock
Aaaaand a very special and rare treat to myself (for some things at work) in a taste of TBA

• Framingham Marlborough Classic Riesling 2015
  • Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Reserva Rioja 2005
  • Half bottles of Schlossel Rieslaner Trockenbeerenauslese Muller Catoir 2008
  • Dog Point Section 94 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2015
  • Biferno Rosso Riserva Palladino 2013
  • Massaya Rose 2017
  • Cotes de Provence Rose Clos de l’Ours 2017
  • Felton Road Bannockburn Central Otago Pinot Noir 2016