01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What's in yer Basket [February/March 2019]

All this talk of golden tickets got me into an overdrive of purchases this week. Nothing coherent - it never is with me, just a random mix of bottles. So currently got these awaiting delivery from TWS:

Bergström Old Stones Oregon Chardonnay 2016
Blind Spot King Valley Arneis 2018
Magnum of Côtes-du-Rhône Rouge, Guigal 2015
Romate Fino Perdido Sherry
And
FRV100 Sparkling Gamay

Other random bottles that landed in the proverbial basket are:

Domaine Raspail-Ay Gigondas 2015 (hey, where is that @Taffy-on-Tour?!)
Papegaai White Blend 2017, from Adi Badenhost

And a couple reduced bottles from M&S (the 1/3 off offer still seems to happen in my local one):

Langhe Nebbiolo 2015 (the other half specifically asked for it)
And a 2016 Arbois Chardonnay from the Jura, which I wanted to try for ages (link not working for some reason).

What’s in yours…? :clinking_glasses:

4 bottles of Half bottle of Jurançon Sec Chant des Vignes, Domaine Cauhape 2017 - @NickFoster’s review gave me the idea and while I was scanning the halves list…
3 bottles of Half Bottle of Nyetimber Classic Cuvée Brut 2010

only because of the golden bottle…

I’d forgotten about the golden tickets; now that would make my day. Several years ago we won a bottle of TWS champagne (for placing our Christmas order early I think) and it arrived at our new home the day we moved in. Isn’t TWS clever?

As for my basket, not quite random. Two sherries, as you just should shouldn’t you:

Two future and two, b***** we missed it, #TWStaste wines:

And then this amazingly good value vertical claret tasting selection.

PS Sorry to fill the page with all of these links. I haven’t worked out how to do it with just a line of text yet. Feel free to tell me how!

not technically a claret… :wink: … but I read only good things about it here

Sorry, should have put ‘claret’ :wink:

Teroldego Rotaliano Riserva Castel Firmian, Mezzacorona 2013
Foresco Umbria, Barberani 2016
The Society’s Valpolicella Ripasso 2016
RK Riesling Dry, Von Kesselstatt 2017
Syrah, Vin de Pays de l’Ardèche, Ferraton 2017 @VinoVeritas recommended
Muga Reserva, Rioja 2015

Just the 10 bottles, leaving a space in case they want to slip in 2 golden bottles :joy::rofl:

Just need to decide what day:thinking::thinking:

I picked up the 2015 Muga offer today, so missing the golden ticket window but it goes straight in reserves so wouldn’t qualify anyway.

I’m planning a case of cheap every day wines to get myself in the draw, I need to stock up anyway.

This guide explains how.

As mentioned in the ‘Gold’ thread, I have 2 each of these in my basket:

Rather an expensive selection by my usual standards but I believe each of them to be very good value examples of their respective appellations. And I have the St Cosme ordered on EP for '15 and '16 (well fingers still crossed for the latter one!)

Actually, to be fair, the pauillac is not that expensive, and based on my previous purchases of it I fully expect it to be quite exceptional value!

Ah yes! I totally forgot that I also got an Alegria Manzanilla from Waitrose today, as just finished a Gitana, and can’t be without my fix. Also got a half bottle of Lanson Black Label NV, currently on offer in Waitrose.

My basket was fuller than I remember…?:thinking:

Thank you! Perhaps I should have you on speed dial - goodness that ages me :wink:

The alegria manzanilla is gorgeous isn’t it (see what I did there Akos :wink: @szaki1974 ) Best when served with shellfish in El Puerte de Santa María but pretty good on a damp Cumbrian evening too

Agreed! :+1:
I fell in love with Manzanilla in Seville, though the first Sherry that got me hooked on Shrries was a Palo Cortado. Heat and shellfish are a bonus, of course! :wink:

It was my Dad’s “go to” in times of crisis so has some odd associations for me… :joy:

Shrrie?

Currently have 4 bottles from a case of 6 of the Bergstrom in the cabinet at home.

I got it delivered because I thought it might need drinking up, but I needn’t of worried, it’ll be good for a while yet. I think it’s fantastic, while it has some oak you wouldn’t guess it was a US chard, fresh, mineral and superbly balanced.

Would love to buy more… but sadly times are a little tight!

Meant mention these are 2012’s!

That’s really good to hear, @MattH! :grinning:
I’ve been meaning to try an Oregon Chardonnay for a while, having been impressed with other white wines from there (Riesling and Pinot Blanc) - looking forward even more to trying it now! :+1:

So, I have put in a minimum order to try the Muga 2015 and one or two others that have been on the wish list for a while and it came to the magic £75 exactly! Plenty of space in the box for the Gold winner too…

That Chardonnay is Excellent :yum:

That Zind Humbrecht is also a Chardonnay! Looking forward to both!

Now that I’ve finally recovered from the expenses of Christmas, I’m re-stocking the cabinet.

Just placed an order for the following old favourites (3 of each):

The Society’s Gavi
The Society’s White Burgundy
Susumaniello Salento Rosso, Vallone 2016
The Society’s Australian Shiraz 2016

Still got a few things in the wishlist to purchase before Easter!