01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What’s in yer Basket [April 2019]

I buy the Brazin Zin whenever it’s available around £10 a bottle and I must say I like it, as do a number of friends. I think it’s good value at that price and is a popular barbie wine.

I’ve also drunk some primitivos which I’ve enjoyed and I don’t have strong feelings either way. But I find the comparison with a 5 euro primitivo a bit unhelpful. Where in UK can you get a 5 euro primitivo?

I had a couple of glasses of the Brazin this weekend and thought it was really good. Maybe I’m buying my Primitivo in the wrong currency, because it was much better than any of the Italian variety I’ve tried in that price range.

When you login and see the outstanding balance on your account from two different en primeur allocations plus the order for two Community tasting events…

…and then place an order for wines you have no room for :hushed: #BojoFOMO

Quantity Code Name
1 Bottle SA14331 Thistle and Weed Duwweltjie Chenin 2018
1 Bottle US6961 Domaine de la Cote Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 2013
1 Bottle AL14111 Muscat Reserve Trimbach 2017
1 Bottle PN221 Niepoort Dry White Port
1 Bottle BJ7741 Chateau de Beauregard Moulin a Vent La Salomine 2017
1 Bottle BJ7731 Chateau de Beauregard Fleurie Poncie 2017
1 Bottle BJ7881 Jean Paul Brun Les Terres Dorees Fleurie 2017
1 Bottle BJ7771 Domaine Jean Marc Burgaud Morgon Les Charmes 2017
1 Bottle BJ7801 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly Godefroy 2017

Just placed this order to keep us going for a couple of months:

TWS used to sell the Archidamo Primitivo, which I like a lot more than the Brazin and is (was) also cheaper.

It’s the usual frustrating thing with so many Italian varietals over here - TWS stocks only the very basic wines and nothing a bit up the range. How about a Primitivo, a Montepulciano, a Negroamaro (etc) at about 15 quid? They’re short-selling these wines. Why not Italian ones at the price they sell even the cheapest Zins at?

OK, fair enough - 5 euros is the Italian price. IF we had them here I guess it would be 8 or 9 quid (but see above!)

That’s definitely a fair point. I haven’t spent much on the Primitivos I’ve tried and the Brazin Is more expensive. I’ll keep an eye out for a better quality Primitivo in future.

I’m 100% with you that a better quality Montepulciano would be welcome on the list though. There’s nothing wrong with the Society branded one and I enjoy the Vigna Corvina, but neither of them are exciting. I paid proper money for one in a tiny Italian restaurant near Crouch End a while back that blew me away. A classy example of that grape can be stunning.

Good luck finding one (and let me know if you do)!

Could name a few more that they could do with a better example on the list… Grillo, Garganega, Nero d’Avola, Nero di Troia, and above all the almost total absence of Friuli wines (still the best whites in general IMO)… The Italian list is in fact a bit lacklustre, I think.

I’m with @danchaq here. This month has been a horror for the bank balance but as the wine was all EP I still needed something to drink!

I see one or two have popped in a bottle of the Thistle & Weed wines which came highly recommended. I plumped for the mixed case so looking forward to trying that. Also taken a bottle of Once & Future Zinfandel on @szaki1974 recommendation and a bottle of the Pauletts Polish Hill Reisling as well as the wines for the TWS tasting and the Guerilla tasting.

It is definitely turning into a chilled rose day today though…Have a great weekend folks.

I am also contemplating the mixed case…