01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What’s in yer Basket [April 2019]

I had a couple of glasses of the Brazin this weekend and thought it was really good. Maybe I’m buying my Primitivo in the wrong currency, because it was much better than any of the Italian variety I’ve tried in that price range.

When you login and see the outstanding balance on your account from two different en primeur allocations plus the order for two Community tasting events…

…and then place an order for wines you have no room for :hushed: #BojoFOMO

Quantity Code Name
1 Bottle SA14331 Thistle and Weed Duwweltjie Chenin 2018
1 Bottle US6961 Domaine de la Cote Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 2013
1 Bottle AL14111 Muscat Reserve Trimbach 2017
1 Bottle PN221 Niepoort Dry White Port
1 Bottle BJ7741 Chateau de Beauregard Moulin a Vent La Salomine 2017
1 Bottle BJ7731 Chateau de Beauregard Fleurie Poncie 2017
1 Bottle BJ7881 Jean Paul Brun Les Terres Dorees Fleurie 2017
1 Bottle BJ7771 Domaine Jean Marc Burgaud Morgon Les Charmes 2017
1 Bottle BJ7801 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly Godefroy 2017

Just placed this order to keep us going for a couple of months:

TWS used to sell the Archidamo Primitivo, which I like a lot more than the Brazin and is (was) also cheaper.

It’s the usual frustrating thing with so many Italian varietals over here - TWS stocks only the very basic wines and nothing a bit up the range. How about a Primitivo, a Montepulciano, a Negroamaro (etc) at about 15 quid? They’re short-selling these wines. Why not Italian ones at the price they sell even the cheapest Zins at?

OK, fair enough - 5 euros is the Italian price. IF we had them here I guess it would be 8 or 9 quid (but see above!)

That’s definitely a fair point. I haven’t spent much on the Primitivos I’ve tried and the Brazin Is more expensive. I’ll keep an eye out for a better quality Primitivo in future.

I’m 100% with you that a better quality Montepulciano would be welcome on the list though. There’s nothing wrong with the Society branded one and I enjoy the Vigna Corvina, but neither of them are exciting. I paid proper money for one in a tiny Italian restaurant near Crouch End a while back that blew me away. A classy example of that grape can be stunning.

Good luck finding one (and let me know if you do)!

Could name a few more that they could do with a better example on the list… Grillo, Garganega, Nero d’Avola, Nero di Troia, and above all the almost total absence of Friuli wines (still the best whites in general IMO)… The Italian list is in fact a bit lacklustre, I think.

I’m with @danchaq here. This month has been a horror for the bank balance but as the wine was all EP I still needed something to drink!

I see one or two have popped in a bottle of the Thistle & Weed wines which came highly recommended. I plumped for the mixed case so looking forward to trying that. Also taken a bottle of Once & Future Zinfandel on @szaki1974 recommendation and a bottle of the Pauletts Polish Hill Reisling as well as the wines for the TWS tasting and the Guerilla tasting.

It is definitely turning into a chilled rose day today though…Have a great weekend folks.

I am also contemplating the mixed case…

I’m with you on this one. TWS currently list more wines from the Rhône than they do from the whole of Italy. And for me there’s a big hole in the middle price range - say from £15-25 a bottle. Just 18 wines in that bracket - which is my “sweet spot” these days.

Absolutely, me too!

I’m not buying much from the Society these days - they just don’t have many of the wines I want!

Ordered for delivery this week. :+1::grin:

Just ordered:

4 left…

Just spotted this on Twitter and will definitely make it to the basket later.

Just bought two of these, pursuant to the recent Germany tasting

and two more of these, for the same reason - had one last Friday - drinking it is like being in a Starburst advert

and one of these, as a manageable way to continue exploring Bordeaux (will be my first 2009 as well as my first Lagrange)

Interestingly this wine does not come up on the website in the half bottles section…

A small order of light reds (including the two Kadarkas for next weeks online tasting) and small whites arrived from TWS today…

… also ran out of white wines so got a reserves delivery, too.

Ooh, some lovely stuff there, @szaki1974! Love the Umathum rose, in particular! :star_struck: Hope we see more of it in the future.

These are in my basket - midweek quaffers.

Recently visited a family member with a career in choosing wine for restaurants in the City. He poured this at dinner - loved the strawberries and cream velvetiness of it (agree with the description wholeheartedly) and was stunned when he said it was available for £8 at the co-op! Have been looking for it ever since. Lo and behold just stumbled across it here.

This makes up the free delivery based on recommendations alone.

Trying to avoid my regular monthly order due to the upward quantity drift of my wine holdings and an order last week with a certain Spanish online merchant. However, a credit sitting in my account due to some corked bottles and an item on my wish list coming back into stock meant resistance was futile :wink:

This one is an excellent Chablis lookalike. Bought a bottle last year and when i went back for more it was out of stock. Great to see it back.

Sticking with refreshing chardonnays, this was a recent recommendation from Tom Cannavan as his “wine of the week”

And to complete a Chardonnay trifecta the new vinatge of the dependable TWS Chilean exhibition

Those will balance out the white rioja and albarinho currently in transit from Spain!

Plus some Chateau Ksara which I want to try again as its a while since I last had a bottle. I have more than enough reds sitting in the cellar waiting to be drunk but the whites don’t seem to hang around waiting for the right time/food/mood.

Your Order

Côte de Brouilly Cuvée des Ambassades, Domaine Pavillon de Chavannes 2017 Code: BJ7891In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £12.95 £12.95
Domaine Sylvain Pataille, Marsannay Rosé Fleur de Pinot 2015 Code: BU65571In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £27.00 £27.00
The Society’s Saar Riesling 2017 Code: GE12351In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £10.50 £10.50
The Society’s Gin High Strength Code: GN101In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £19.00 £19.00
Romate Fino Perdido Code: SH531In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £7.95 £7.95
Barbera d’Alba Vigna del Cuculo, Cavallotto 2015 Code: IT24571

A guest order by my better half for her birthday. Loving the High Strength Gin, so smooth and well priced!