01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What makes wine exciting for you?

Hi all,

There are many reasons why people get into wine, for me its being able to explore oddities from around the world and get behind the passion of the producer as I drink wine that has taken a lot of work to get to me.

I posted a thread last year about me starting to lose my love of wine after starting to understand which wines I enjoy meaning there was less for me to uncover and learn:

I just thought I would see what everyone else found exciting about wine, is it finding an odd region? The match between food and a wine? The anticipation of opening a special bottle?

Personally for me I am finding that the wine world is splitting off in 2 different directions, on one hand there is the ‘old school’ wines which are made by top producers and have done for many decades with some of these now commanding higher prices. Then there are the ‘new school’ wines which seem to be more of a passing trend and not really in for the long haul - these can be quite exciting at the time but don’t think will last the distance.

Slight tangent on this but I think its kinda the same as with music at the moment, there are still a fair few bands back from the 60s/70s/80s still touring - example is the Rolling Stones who must have been touring for 40 years. On the other hand there are modern bands/artists who have come and gone within a few years. I guess its the old adage of burning twice as bright but half as long.

Anyway, back on track with the thread! What does everyone find exciting about wine?

For me I love the old school approach, the romance of the wine making process and the generations of family that have had a hand in creating something your drinking. I find myself imagining i’m in that part of the world and feeling the blood sweat and tears all these people from pickers to barrel makers have felt to get this bottle into my hands. I do enjoy the new world and finding quirky wines that are different to what i know in the hope i have my head turned but i still find the romance of old world to charming

For me it’s just the pure enjoyment of a really good glass of wine. Yes there is pleasure to be had from discovering a hidden gem but that’s somehow a sort of selfish pleasure; the whole ‘I know something you don’t’ thing. Which is not to be denied but still doesn’t compare to that pleasure when the bouquet of something special hits your nose and the taste hits your palate; no matter whether it’s from a £50 bottle or a £5 bottle.

The excitement of trying new wines is never quite knowing if it’s going to be one of those special ones and the excitement of opening a known, reliably trusted bottle is knowing it’s going to be one of those specials.

I enjoy all the discussion and research leading up to that, but ultimately it’s pouring the glass and taking the first mouthful, that being the one that tends to get your fullest attention.

spot on - exactly the same for me…the proof is in the drinking !

Just because a wine region/type has only recently come onto the radar over here does not mean that it is lacking in tradition. And I see no reason why these need be fads. Not fads for me personally at least, but possibly for the wine trade I suppose.

The example very much on my mind (sic) at the moment is the Georgian 8,000-year-old tradition of making wine naturally in clay vessels. That’s what I find exciting. There must be other, somewhat less extreme, instances too.

…trying and learning about new things (which I don’t anticipate will ever get old), and I especially like sharing it with people, watching their eyes light up (or not), the discussion and transfer of knowledge, and seeing their excitement.

I have only recently started drinking wine and I’m finding the experience very enjoyable. It’s exciting to try a wine recommended by friends and to find a wine which compliments a favourite dish. I’m also really enjoying opening a bottle as a treat, as well as for celebrations.

Congratulations: New Member(s) of the Month

Welcome Kelly - this is certainly the place to find good advice and recommendations, both for wine and food/wine combinations. Don’t be put off by the fact that there are complex posts from people with years of experience - just imbibe the general vibe and you’ll have a lot of fun.

There’s just so much to learn, and as with all things, you can take enjoyment both from the sheer breadth of wine out there, but also from gaining a deeper understanding of one particular thing. We’ve been frequent visitors to Alsace for many years, and have developed a good understanding of its wines (I hope). For me, one of the most fascinating things is the way that there are so many factors that affect the taste of the wine. In Alsace,terroir is very noticeable, above all for riesling. As you try more wines, you’re able to recognise traits of different sub-soils and particular vineyards, across different winemakers. One winemaker can make very different wines from a vineyards that are separated by a footpath. There are similarities in characteristics of different grape varieties, when grown on the same vineyard. But then there’s the influence of the winemaker themselves, the vintage, etc, etc. The variation even in one grape variety of one region is huge, and continually evolving.

For me, personally, attempting to learn to differentiate and appreciate the subtlety available just in the wines of one region continues to be a fascinating journey, and endlessly enjoyable. There are many smaller producers, and getting to know them and their relationship with their vines and land adds an extra depth to the enjoyment of opening the bottle. It has all resulted in somewhat of a bias in my knowledge and cellar, although I’m hopefully not completely one-dimensional. I’m looking forward to continuing to expand my knowledge of this and other wines. But ultimately, as others have said, to drinking them with good food, and good friends.