01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is your perfect Christmas nightcap?

Hello Community :smiley:

Continuing with our Christmas topics (which we are really enjoying reading your responses to) we would now like to know:

What is your perfect Christmas nightcap?

Could it be brandy? Whisky? Or even a mint Baileys?

Let us know your thoughts!

3 Likes

This… :heart_eyes:

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/pineau-des-charentes-chateau-dorignac

7 Likes

I normally have a good whisk(e)y, but TWS used to stock this Rum which was like Christmas in a glass!

5 Likes

How do you drink this? Cold/warm? Glass etc? And how long does it last once opened?

1 Like

Snap! :+1::grin:

1 Like

By coincidence we had pineau des charentes at a friend’s house a couple of nights ago. First time since I can’t remember when. They served it with ice and it went down very well. Don’t know when the bottle was opened but I’d say it was months rather than days and it seemed fine.

3 Likes

It depends on where I am, my dad, brother-in-law, she-is-not-called-mrs-Pig and her dad are all whisky drinkers so when either at home of family it usually ends up being a dram of something peaty. At home I’m (as discussed here) slipping further down this brandy hole I’ve found myself in.

That Pineau des Charentes does sound like something I need to invest in (although I echo @winechief’s questions!).

6 Likes

At home we would probably have had a Cognac / Armagnac or occasionally a Grand Marnier. Stick with the grape and not go for grain until the very last drop .

For the very last drop will probably be a cleansing ale. Refreshing, cold and a toss up between an IPA or small San Miguel or Stella. All depends if I am on my own for the cleanser. Current favourites are Dartmoor IPA or one of these as we’re just back from 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

4 Likes

For me Pineau des Charentes is best served chilled before a summer Sunday lunch.:sun_with_face:(Pommeau, the Normandy equivalent, fills the same role)
A port glass or sherry copita would do the job.

Calvados would be my choice of nightcap, if the port had run out, that is…

3 Likes

You’ve just reminded me of those old sayings:

Beer on wine makes you fine, wine on beer makes you queer.

And

Beer on whisky makes you frisky, whisky on beer makes you queer.

Haven’t heard either for a long, long time, and not since queer had its more traditional meaning. But I’m not even sure if I have those right now. In German I think there is:

Wein auf Bier das rat ich dir, Bier auf Wein lass es sein.

So probably best just to stick to the grape anyway!

4 Likes

Anyone remember this (and a host of variations)?

1 Like

Madeira (or PX).

1 Like

I’m usually 3 sheets to the wind by the time any thought of a nightcap is mentioned and with the prospect of children waking up early, then it could potentially just make Boxing Day morning all that more difficult. Hair of the dog/many cups of coffee could be required to get through to lunchtime.
Hope to get a taste of this at some stage though as it is quite close to my heart

6 Likes

Stone’s Original Ginger Wine - reminds me of Christmas as a child, and we were allowed to have a small sip before bed!

5 Likes

This may well round off proceedings this Christmas:

7 Likes

I do love a glass/es of Pineau des Charentes; or if I’m feeling brave as a special treat, my real fave is a 50-50 split of whiskey-Drambuie on ice. The so-called “Rusty Nail”. I’ll usually use Irish whiskey [Bushmills / Jameson]. An absolute dream of a late night drink in my book, which slips down oh so effortlessly; but it’s pretty potent stuff for sure, and you’ll certainly know about it in the morning.

Strangely too, a blast of ouzo on ice can also be very nice too; works very well with sweet stuff. But again, you’ll certainly know about it in the morning!

5 Likes

Beer on wine makes you fine, wine on beer - steer well clear

is a little less sensitive🙄

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

sorry… I know, if I have nothing nice to say then…

2 Likes

Pull the cork out with your teeth and neck it… :rofl:

More seriously, I usually keep a bottle in the fridge and drink from a small wine or sherry glass. It’s very easy drinking! I’ve had bottles open for 6+ weeks in the fridge with no sign of deterioration. It’s pretty bomb proof I think and would probably last longer if I could keep my hands off.

8 Likes

I think this is pretty old but I’ve put it in the fridge. See how it goes :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes