01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is the longest you have kept a bottle for?

Are their any bottles you have kept hold of for a long time? I don’t mean the oldest bottle but one which you have had in your possession and not been tempted to drink!

I think the longest anything has stayed in my rack is probably about 3 years - a 2008 Brunello that might be there for a couple more.
However, a friend bought a bottle of this when my daughter was born 2 and a half years ago:
https://www.wineswithattitude.co.uk/type/red/la-vierge-nymphomane-2012.html
The intention is for us to give it to her when she’s 18. Here’s hoping it’s got the legs to last that long!

I think I have stuff that might actually have been in my less-than-perfect under stair cellar for well over a decade … :flushed:

I have one bottle left from a case of six that I bought in 2001, perhaps a few more from the first half of that decade.

I bought some wines back from France in 1994 (mainly Burgundy, Olivier Leflaive as we had a local guy who sold us these) and kept for around 10 years which was probably too long to be honest, or so it tasted at the time. So I didn’t buy laying down wines for quite a while after that until I started with en primeur at The Society where I keep a close eye on the drink dates!!

I drank the last of my magnums of Malescot-Saint-Exupery 1996 (bought in 2000), last Christmas, so that’s probably my record.
I have an Haut-Brion 2001 given to me 6 years ago for my 50th. I promised the giver we would drink it together on my 60th, which would equal the record.

UPDATE - 29/10/17: turns out I couldn’t wait 4 more years. The HB01 was exquisite last night! Still displaying youthfulness, but with such cassis concentration and length and a lovely dusty mineral overlay. Very special.

Malescot was the first Bordeaux Château I ever bought from, probably in 1995, but the bottles definitely didn’t last 10 years!

Some 1999 Conterno ‘Parussi’ Barolo bought in 2004 last bottle drank last year.

I kept - as an experiment - a bottle of Waitrose own label champagne in a cellar for fifteen years. Delicious when opened although the mousse had nearly gone.

:astonished: Fascinating, @Richard! It just goes to show you don’t always have to write-off dusty old forgotten bottles you find… always worth opening them to check how far they’re gone!

Our wine cellar is still in its early days, seeing as I’ve only been in the industry for around a decade, but I think we’ve got a couple of bottles there we’ve been holding onto for a good 4 years. That’s our limit so far! Hoping to keep some of them for a good five or six years more, though…
It’s nice when I’m rummaging around in the rack to check if there’s anything I can open on a special occasion and I stumble across a bottle I’d forgotten I’d bought - then you realise you’re now however-many years closer to actually opening and enjoying it! :grinning:

I’ve just realised I have some 96 Cotes de Bourg I bought from the Chateau in 97 or 98, but sadly it’s been out of condition for a while so it’s just a memento now.

I still have a 12 bottle case of the Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage 1990 purchased en primeur. Thinking about it, I may soon have paid more in cumulative cellarage charges than the case originally cost.
More sensibly, cases of the 1995 Beaucastel and Pegau.
But I will not wait an eternity to get tore into the 2015 Rhône’s that I purchased, that’s for sure.
It was the 1990 Raspail-Ay, both cuvee’s of Graillot’s Crozes, the Beaucastel, Pegau and the Chapelle from this vintage that made me a Rhône Ranger. I have a 1st edition of the Rhône tome from Mr Parker with a personal note kindly describing me thus. Now if only Marcel…?!? LoL

At one time I had a rather good cellar, but when I gave up the City job for self employment it gradually disappeared. The only bits left are bottles of sweet wines. I opened a bottle of Ch Climens 1988 (bought on release) the other weekend expecting it to be past it, as storage is now in the broom cupboard. Sheer nectar, like liquid butterscotch. My partner still hated it sadly as she doesn’t like sweet wine, so I could only do the decent thing and finish it myself.

The oldest kept in my family was a bottle with a sticky label saying just port 1921, which was laid down by my late wife’s granny. It turned out from the cork to be Gould Campbell 1924 and was in great nick. Quite a thought provoking moment and a toast to granny.

I don’t have off-site storage so keep my bottles to a 180 - 230 range which means a reasonable turn-over. Still, I have a few from a few years ago, the current oldest being a 2000 Musar bought in mid-2008 and a few bottles bought in 2009 & 2010 (again, predominantly Musar, I made a point of buying multiple bottles for ageing quite early on in my obsession which began in 2006).

My “Cellar” involves a re-purposed kitchen utility room (external wall and well away from the oven, so stays reasonably constant temperature throughout the year, 2 coolers and a set of drawers in the garage (again, at the back of an internal garage, so moderately consistent temps). I rarely drink anything bought int he last few months so am regularly pulling out wines that I’ve kept for a while, a quick check of the wines I’ve drank at home shows an average purchase-drink time of 2 years.

I have an unbroken 12 bottle case of the Jaboulet La Chapelle 1990.
Also cases of Beaucastel and Pegau 1995.
I think that sometimes I suffer from amnesia concerning my non-WS stocks.
I am now working on rationalising my Snowdon of bottles.
Not bad for a simple Welsh boy.:blush:

I still have a couple of bottles of Ghislaine Barthod’s 1988 Cras, a bottle of L’Evangile 1985 and don’t think there’s any rush on either of them though neither are likely to get a great deal better.

Ive just bought some 59, 62, 64, and 69 red Burgundy from a friend in his 80s who bought them in the late 60s/ early 70s, and though they are horribly bin soiled, the first bottle of Chanson 69 Echezeaux was truly magnificent.

I have an empty bottle of Jaboulet La Chapelle 1990 on my desk - you are in for a treat!

Just wanted to point out that we do not condone drinking at one’s desk … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It was one of my better purchases. But so was Beaucastel 1989, all four 1990 cuvees from Rayas, Pegau 1990, Graillot 1990, both cuvees, and not least Raspail 1990. If you had done a little research, it was like fishing in a barrel for both of those Rhône vintages. Mind you, I was like a little boy for the 2015 offer that Marcel gave us, across the board the wines are more accessible today at an earlier drinking date. If you love wine, if the anticipation gets your heart racing; the Rhône Valley can truly be your lifelong mistress, for pure unadulterated (LoL?!?) pleasure! Two for example are Perrins Vinsobres Les Hauts de Julien or Ferratons Le Grand Courtil. For true value then the Omar Khyyam Libian or Raspail. I filled my boots with Rhone 2015 in the same way as I did in 1990. I did loads of research and concluded that Gigondas across the board did better in 2015 than CH9dP, and purchased accordingly. The boot may be on the other foot on 2016, but what do I know, I have not tasted them?! Get your head around the fact that these vintages are relatively, rare events, buy a bit every year but get tore in when the day comes, because you may have a decade or two to repent your indecision. And Bordeaux, I bought a shedful of the 2015’s because I deemed them historically “good” value, 2016 only 3 x 6 bottle cases; the wine might have been marginally better but the prices!!! And we shall surely hear from the Bordelais PR machine bleating on about the low yields, hail, global warming et al and they will have to be So,So SORRY for the price for less good wine. Me, I scamper back to the Rhône, its a no-brainer, always has been, n’est pas!

A lot of us scampering for Rhone these days - even the LaLa’s and top CH9dP or something silly from Chateau Grillet looks good value compared to the most modest offerings from Bordeaux, let alone those Pinot bandits further North. As you say - more accessible early on, but the special ones will keep as well.

I too went pretty deep into Bordeaux in 2015 but 2016, even with the weaker £ just looked silly. I still attend the BBR burgundy tasting each Jan as well, but haven’t bought anything beyond some Saint-Aubain for a few years now. Pretty sure Rhone will be the hill I die on next year (again) - not sure there will be much left in the piggy bank for the other EPs after that :slight_smile: