01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What is in your basket? [September - October 2020]

586 bottles and counting, fingers crossed

At least it’s in punishing cases of 12, which should keep the cases to reserves rate down a little.

1 Like

I guess that’s the upside of 12-packs…!

1 Like

There are some not so good reviews on CellarTracker for 2006 Exhibitor Hermitage. I wonder if it’s the same wine or an different version.

The CT Label Image suggests that the 2006’s drunk back then were a Jaboulet bottling. Suggests the newly released bottles are different.

I have never found our Exhibition Hermitage when released, ready for drinking.
I have a rebottled half of the Exhibition 2010 from Sunday night, to try this evening.
On Sunday, you knew that it was a good bottle BUT I would never serve it to friends at this stage. The medicinal taint, that the first 2 bottles exhibited is now gone which is a sign of positive development - but in truth (and not wishing to argue with anybody) this has 3 years to go before being what it can be.
At the moment I am thoroughly enjoying these two, picked up off the website and an utter joy to behold. Just ὰ point Northern Rhone Syrah with no requirement to explain any obtrusive tannin, tar of the back palate, or medicinal quality.

I gave them, a few months in reserves before trying.
They were ALL that they should have been - right out of the gate. :+1: :grinning: :dragon:

4 Likes

A little autumnal top up from Reserves along with 3 Bin 006. Due in a few weeks time.

* RH53111 Cairanne Blanc Domaine de l’Oratoire Saint Martin 2017 6 Bottles
* RH46591 Saint Joseph Nicolas Perrin 2015 3 Bottles
* SP15331 Bohorquez Reserva Ribera del Duero 2010 3 Bottles
* RH53881 Grignan les Adhemar Delas 2018 6 Bottles
4 Likes
PRODUCT CODE DESCRIPTION PRICE QTY SUBTOTAL
AU23031 Bin #006 Tasmanian Pinot Noir 2018 £12.95 3 Bottles £38.85
CE10531 Koyle Cerro Basalto Cuartel G2 Carmenere 2017 £17.00 1 Bottle £17.00
SG2881 Altamana Methode Traditionelle Chardonnay Extra Brut Itata £15.50 1 Bottle £15.50
CE10971 Undurraga Candelabro Itata Cinsault 2019 £7.50 1 Bottle £7.50

This… Bin #6 (my second Bin Series purchase) supplemented by a couple of interesting (to me) Chilean wines.

3 Likes

I bought a bottle of the 2016 of this. Haven’t actually got round to trying it yet, though the reviews seem positive. If you drink it any time soon I’d be interested to know what you think.

Update
The rebottled half of Society 2010 Exhibition Hermitage.
With no little expectation, I finished it last night.
It was far closer to being at the height of it’s potential, but not there yet.
It was decidedly better than good quality N. Rhone syrah and with a bit of air, enjoyable.
The wine has substance, and as I finished it, you could taste a quality and even a presence that is unusual. :wink:
I am not happy that I have gone through 3 bottles of my 18 bottle (£36 each) stash to get to this conclusion, after all the drinking window was said to be “now - 2028” and this purchase was made in January 2018, or two and a half years ago.
This IS why I buy wine by the case.
Note to self. At least 2 years to wait. The upside is that the wine does have the makings of a terrific bottle, when we eventually get there. :+1: :grinning: :dragon:

5 Likes

Interesting to read your exhibition Hermitage experience Taffy. I’ve taken the plunge and placed 6 of the 2006 vintage into reserves. It’s the upper end of my price range but inexpensive by Hermitage standards. Planning to try the first one around 2023/4. Keeping them company are x3 Bin#6, x2 Exhibition CNdP and a wild card in the form of Ignacio Recabarran Pinot Noir. So not very wild at all really. I know I put this case together myself but I really like the look of it.

6 Likes

Non TWS reserves withdrawal arrived today:

2012 Cornas Lieu-dit Patou, Ferraton Père & Fils
2013 Cornas Les Chailles, Domaine Alain Voge
2015 Syrah La Rosine, VDP des Collines Rhodaniennes, Domaine Michel et Stéphane Ogier
2015 Valdesil Mencia Carballo, DO Valdeorras, Galicia, Spain
2018 A Touriga Vai Nua, Fita Preta
2015 Elpidios, David & Nadia Sadie, Swartland
2016 Santenay 1er Cru Clos Rousseau, Justin Girardin
2017 Bourgogne Pinot Noir, Mark Haisma
2017 Bourgogne Pinot Noir, Michel Lafarge
2012 Gigondas, Domaine la Bouïssière
2016 Côtes du Rhône, Domaine Charvin
2017 Bogan Goes Walkabout, Mark Haisma, Ardeche

9 Likes

Did you purchase direct ?

Yes - to an LCB account initially and I then transferred on to L&W

1 Like

He does deliver to Vinotheque (L&W), too.

Just got a bottle of the same delivered last week from reserves.

1 Like

For free? I got it sent to the LCB account as that was free and I could consolidate a dispatch to L&W and not pay multiple delivery charges. But it wasn’t straightforward.

No, not free. Also a pain to receive it there (although I suspect it is the same if you receive it from LCB)… seems to take ages and you have to chase. The 2018s are just about to appear in my reserves.

I always have a backlog of wines waiting for them to check in. They are incredibly efficient at organising deliveries to home and I would trade a couple of working days on that end for a quicker turnaround time on getting stuff in.

MH will deliver free to an LCB account and even via Cru they were really quick to check it in.

1 Like

I had the 2014 Guigal Gigondas bought in a French supermarket in 2019 and it was a bit of a tannic brute. I still liked it but of course it was very young so I’d be very interested to hear how you get on with a decently aged one. I think it could be very good.

Out of curiosity where did you get it from?

2 Likes

Tbh, I sent an email requesting his list beginning of January and he never sent it to me & we know how quick everything sells out :face_with_monocle:

I think now is a good time to ask him to get on the list, as the harvest is over… I usually order from him in December when he sends the list and then change it based on the January tasting if I have to (and can, as by that time some of the wines will have sold out).

2 Likes