01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is in your basket [Sept-Oct 2019]

basket

Interested what you think of this, I have a couple of cases in storage.

On my irregular half bottle watch just noticed the Domaine de Chevalier, Pessac-Léognan 2008 at £25 per (half) bottle. Looks like it is in drinking window… Reviews (from 2018) seem to agree on good structure, enough fruit and an austere, dry finish.

Shame it’s not the 2009 but they’re going for rather more out there. Might look to pick up one or two when I’m at Stevenage later this week.

I need some pinot noir:

A recent review (whole bottle though) -

“The 2008 Domaine de Chevalier is a vintage that I have tasted several times. Now at a decade old, it has retained a surprisingly deep colour. The bouquet is divine: pure blackberry and pomegranate aromas, cedar and cigar box, its floral element seeming to have receded in recent years. The palate is medium-bodied and appears to have softened since I last tasted it, the tannins now more melted (though not fully), delivering a mixture of red and black fruit tinged with burnt toast, tobacco and a touch of sous-bois and smoke towards the cohesive finish. You could begin opening bottles now although knowing the track record of this estate, I would leave them for another few years. 2018 - 2040”
Score: 91 Neal Martin, vinous.com, February 2018

A withdrawal from reserves for me to end the month. Delivery next week.

12 x

3 x

3 x

6 x

Any comments on when I should be starting to pull a cork on any of the above would be welcome.
Was thinking of testing a bottle of each over the next few months to see what I thought but could be a little early?

Thanks

I think a couple of people have tasted the Weinert and reported back that it probably needs another year. Please report back if you open Les Lezardes, by the way - I’ve got a bottle tucked away and was planning to leave it a while.

No experience with the Weinert, but I’d have thought all the others would be drinkable now but better in a couple of years. So the two you have three of I’d be tempted to wait but the Delubac where you have 6 might be worth testing one now.

The last La Rosine I tried was the '13 opened in '18, so five years, and I’d have said it was just about perfect! One of my comments was “Beautiful smooth mouthfeel with soft easy tannin”. I had a bottle of the 2010 Delubac in 2017 which was also lovely but I’d say that still had a lot of life left in it then.

12 x Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett 2018
4 x Château Chasse-Spleen 2010

Sadly had to cancel at the last minute the recent Madeira tasting in London, but there were a couple I definitely wanted to try. Was also a little bit short of whites in the cabinet so the below is a combination of an order I collected today, along with the inevitable extras you end up grabbing whilst in the showroom…

I note the Cuvee Prestige Gewurtz from Cattin is present both in your order and in @JosK’s tasting line-up. I’ve never tried it - would you recommend it?

Yet to try it. One of those picked up on a whim at the showroom…

Will report back in time…

Expecting delivery any minute now, of three bottles for our Brighton and Hove tasting group meeting next week (theme is wines of the Rhone)

@MikeFranklin had also picked up a couple bottles for the tasting, which I’m really excited to try:

and

There will also be a St Joseph (purchased from BBR) and two Rhone blends look-alike for blind tastings, organised by others from the group.

Should be fun! :grinning:

EDIT: Just realised that our Ventoux is the 2017 not the new vintage.

Would love to hear how those Pataille Aligotes are, thinking about grabbing a few myself.

Actually had one of his 2015 Bourgogne Rouge last night that was drinking really well, for anyone else sitting on some of those.

Just to confirm I picked up those two from Stevenage yesterday and a few others might have slipped into my basket at the same time:

The Chevalier because it seemed like a great opportunity, a couple of bin ends from the showroom, the Sendiana because I’ve wanted to try it for a long time and the two halves for the next guerilla tasting.

Yes, keen to compare those Aligotes and see the difference between the ‘basic’ and single vineyard versions.

That all looks very white… but appetising at the same time. :wink:

I know I said no more deliveries this year, but then #twstaste and Guerilla come along together with an Alsace offer… so have put in a mini order for November delivery…

PRODUCT CODE DESCRIPTION PRICE QTY SUBTOTAL
AL15241 Pinot Noir Domaine Paul Ginglinger 2017 £12.95 1 Bottle £12.95
AL15251 Chardonnay Vin de France Dopff au Moulin 2017 £18.50 1 Bottle £18.50
CS11052 Ch de la Commanderie Lalande de Pomerol 2015 Halves £8.95 1 Half Bottle £8.95
AL15061 Sylvaner Vieilles Vignes ORGANIC Dirler Cade 2017 £14.95 1 Bottle £14.95
AL15071 Muscat Grand Cru Saering ORGANIC Dirler Cade 2017 £23.00 1 Bottle £23.00

Have also put a mixed Beyer case into reserves to hold there till 2025-26.

Then I went to The Sampler and they happened to have bottles of the 2018 Alheit Cartology on the shelf… now I also have a bottle on the shelf.

Should only buy to reserves this year really…

Inspired by both the upcoming tastings, and the realisation that half bottles can be a beautiful thing…

Your Order

Chardonnay Vin de France Dopff au Moulin 2017 Code: AL15251In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £18.50 £18.50
Pinot Noir Domaine Paul Ginglinger 2017 Code: AL15241In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £12.95 £12.95
Half bottle of Rustenberg John X Merriman, Stellenbosch 2015 Code: SA13532In Stock
2 x Half Bottle(s) at £8.95 £17.90
Half bottle of Château de la Commanderie, Lalande-de-Pomerol 2015 Code: CS11052In Stock
2 x Half Bottle(s) at £8.95 £17.90
Château Climens, Barsac 2013 Code: BW5032In Stock
2 x Half Bottle(s) at £25.00 £50.00
Half bottle of Crozes Hermitage, Domaine de Thalabert Paul Jaboulet Aîné 2013 Code: RH38432In Stock
1 x Half Bottle(s) at £13.95 £13.95
Half bottle of La Rioja Alta Viña Arana Reserva, Rioja 2011 Code: SP14462In Stock
1 x Half Bottle(s) at £10.95 £10.95
Half bottle of Riesling Estate, Famille Hugel 2017 Code: AL15342In Stock
1 x Half Bottle(s) at £9.95 £9.95
Half Bottle of Muga Reserva, Rioja 2015 Code: SP14502In Stock
1 x Half Bottle(s) at £9.50 £9.50
Half Bottle of Domaine Mallory et Benjamin Talmard, Mâcon-Villages 2017 Code: BU69292In Stock
1 x Half Bottle(s) at £6.50 £6.50

I’ve just put 6 of these in my reserves. I remember visiting a wine merchant in deepest Cheshire a few years ago and he wouldn’t stop going on about this wine. In the end I bought a bottle just to shut him up - so glad I did. I loved it but not had any chance to buy any more until recently. 2017 is supposed to be a very good vintage for this wine.

On a separate note, I wish TWS would allow mixed 6 case bottles to be stored in reserves rather than a minimum of 12. I would be happy to pay more in storage costs to facilitate this.