01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is in your basket [Sept-Oct 2019]

basket

Ahh, that’s nice to hear, @JayKay ! I love the way wine evokes memories - especially if they’re good ones! :smile:

The reason I got this particular Vouvray, is because I drank their Demi-Sec Vouvray a few times - a delicious baked apple concoction - and wanted to try their Sec version. The Demi-sec is fairly easy to find in M&S, and usually goes for a tenner, so good value for money in my book! :wink:

If the 2016 Wirschings are as good as the 15’s you are in for a treat!

oooo @MikeFranklin you went for the Grato Grati as well. We picked up a bottle of each as I’ve had sangiovese over about 7-8 years old so I am really interested to see how it tastes!

I’m thinking a little xmas eve vertical tasting with a younger 2011 brunello…but in what order?!

Yes I am rather intrigued by them. Will be very interesting to try them. Also very interesting/odd how there are 7 years between them and yet they have the same drinking window from TWS; now to '22. If wanting a comparison I thought they should maybe be drunk alongside a Chianti.

Ah yes good point, i was thinking a delish brunello as it’s xmas :grin: but i do have a couple of chiantis to fish into. Either way, have something delicious with them!

I seemed to be a bit light on lighter reds, so picked a few to try. And thought I’d take the opportunity to join one of these online tastings I’ve been lurking around for 2 years…!

Mendel Mendoza Semillon 2017
Peter Lehmann Margaret Barossa Semillon 2012
Regina Viarum Mencia, Ribeira Sacra 2017
Saumur ‘Les Plantagenêts’ Cabernet Franc 2017
Pittnauer Pitti Red, Burgenland 2017
Xinomavro Jeunes Vignes, Thymiopoulos 2018
Etna Rosso Fondo Filara Nicosia 2016
Côtes de Provence Blanc, Cru Classé, Château du Galoupet 2016

All set for the October online tasting of two intriguing wines plus a couple of treats from the TWS tasting I was lucky enough to attend earlier in the year. Really loved the aged Albariño and this chianti and looking forward to reacquainting myself with them.

A Tip for Shopping Basket Posts

I’ve noticed that most people seem to be posting screen shots from various stages of the ordering process for posts in these threads, which seems to me a little laborious. So thought I’d share the way I’ve been doing it which feels easier and better to me.

I simply go to my order history (not sure if this technique works on the basket itself) and view the order I’ve just placed. Then I use click and drag to select and copy all the lines of the order and then simply insert that copied ‘text’ into the post. The result is this (which also happens to be my latest order):

It automatically builds a table and each element is linkable. Simples! :smiley: Although you might notice that all on it’s own it seems to decide the first line should be titles and bold prints it!

I guees a table needs a header. It can be overriddem but I’ve never found it worth the bother!

If you look at the actual ‘code’ it’s all very simple with the vertical bar character ‘|’ (I think of it as the ‘or’ character from my C/C++ coding) as the separator between columns. The only difference for the first row seems to be a ‘blank’ row immediately after it.

I’ve tried, but couldn’t drag and click my basket.

Not ordered yet so couldn’t try your method. Just hope nothing sells out before i order for delivery next month :fearful:

Want to sample a few of the recent Portuguese offer, treat myself to a couple of delicious-sounding Rieslings, check out the Rapsani I’ve read so much about on here and 2 of the more tempting offers on the recent fine wine list. Oh, and who can overlook the latest vintage of the lovely Lugana from Ca dei Frati

The Filipa Pato rosado is a light and lovely fizz - a really pleasurable aperitif. The woman makes some very good wines :+1:

jackyfire
Whisky and soda, a nice suplement to the winedrinking :slight_smile:

In Qatar for two weeks. I reasoned that the hotel bar prices were so expensive I would just go dry and save money. Live vicariously through the community for 14 days. No problem.

So apart from the La Rioja Alta en primeur; the Bohóquez en primeur I am only ordering Somloi Juhfark Kolonics 2017 which was in the Fine Wine Small Wonders online tasting, is fabulous and is now back in stock.

And I can’t really ignore this. Kumeu Chardonnay Case :thinking:

I’m loving whisky and soda ATM. I’m tending toward Islay Scotch rather than Bourbon style though. It’s a real alternative to G&T!

Couldn’t make the click and drag method work for me, so back to screenshot…
Delivered yesterday, this list is clear evidence of how suggestible I am. Grati, tick, Boho, tick, Bussieres, tick… But in a self-deceiving attempt to bring my £/bottle average down I’ve added in some everydays which I hope will suit the autumn evenings and whatever ends up on the plate. Should be my last order until Christmas, so long as I get along to asda for their Romanian treasures and ignoring, of course my annual 6 case download from reserves. And if anyone asks, of course I keep within the guidelines, these are just for show.

Oh look

Just weakened and ordered the Kumeu River mixed case. Damn you lot!