01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

The Society's Community

What is in your basket [May - June 2020]

I was browsing for Nebbiolo on TWS, when I came across an intriguing wine from SA…

The Liberator ‘The Good, The Bad and The Sangiovese’, Western Cape 2003

Almost tempted to order a case of six, but as stocks seem pretty healthy, it will most probably last till own mixed cases are back on.

What is in your basket?

6 Likes

I saw this too and was intrigued. Not sure I want 6 though, I’m sure it will still be there when we can select our own cases again

Thanks to @szaki1974 for his heads up on the Rosé from L&W.
Great minds think alike on the Liberator but I have ordered.
I also found a Steading alongside some older Aussie vintages from Wine Trove that I thought I’d give a shot to. Unfortunately they were out of stock on that so I have gone for a 2006 Pierro Chardonnay from Margaret River. We had a very lovely time in Margaret River in 2001 with visits to Cullen and Pierro as particular highlights.

https://www.laywheeler.com/product-detail?id=12199961
https://www.laywheeler.com/product-detail?id=1218954A

2 Likes

Looks interesting. Let us know what you think, once it arrives and you get a chance to sample

Arrived today from the excellent Blast Vintners

2017 Hermitage Dard & Ribo 1
2016 Cote-Rotie Terrasses Jean-Luc Jamet 2
2015 Pinot Blanc Cuvee H Bruno Schueller 1
2016 Riesling Particuliere Bruno Schueller 1
2016 Sylvaner Bruno Schueller 1
2017 Cotes du Rhone Il Fait Soif Gramenon 1
2017 Cotes du Rhone La Sagesse Gramenon 1
2017 Cotes du Rhone Rubiconde Gramenon (Magnum) 1
2018 Sancerre Mont Damnes Francoise Cotat 1
1998 Cornas Vielles Vignes Tardieu Laurent 1
2003 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Olivets Roger Sabon 1
2018 St-Joseph Lou Taissou Domaine de L’Iserand 1
2003 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Prestige Roger Sabon 1
2006 Gigondas Tradition Moulin de Gardette 1
2018 Cotes de Rhone Domaine Jamet 6
2016 Lionnet Cornas Terre Brûlée 2
1999 Coursodon les Oliviae 1

A lot of these wines are normally out of my price range but thanks to the goodwill (and patience) from Joe Gilmour I can build up a great order.

5 Likes

Awaiting TWS to resume own mixed case service, I’ve managed a good little top-up from a cycle down to Lea & Sandeman this afternoon.

That sekt may make its way to the weekend drinking thread in a day or so. The Burlotto Barbera obvs inspired by Community activities this week.

3 Likes

I’m seriously tempted to get 6 of these. While I know nothing about the wine, it’s exactly the sort of thing that makes TWS such a joy for me - an unusual (at least to me) combination of grape and region, fully mature and a reasonable price. I’ve order plenty of half cases like this in the past, mostly completely on impulse. They’ve uniformly turned out to be great buys that have turned me on to new regions, grapes and producers.

2 Likes

So far, since TWS deliveries have started again, I ordered a case of The Society’s Côte-du-Rhône and the Exhibition Crozes-Hermitage, last month. And this week, I’ve ordered a case of Navajas Rioja Crianza and a case of Exhibition Mendoza Malbec.

Thankfully, for my wallet, I’ve got a pal and Society member who lives in walking distance from my abode, so we can split the cases and share (in a safe and socially distant manner.) :grin:

9 Likes

Just received delivery of 6 of each of these (from elsewhere), 2016 vintage.

The Nebbiolo will be tucked away for a little while and the Barbera will be drunk in the meantime, starting tonight :yum:

5 Likes

Have the mixed case of Rosé in the basket which I’m not going to buy. I won’t drink 12 bottles, Mrs Lewis would only haze the occasional glass so will await the return of mixed cases.
Did get one of these on offer for 30 quid whilst poshing it up in waitrose.

Côte Rôtie ‘Brune et Blonde’ 2016 E. Guigal

mediumCutout
A gift to my future self.

10 Likes

I had a case delivered from L&W that was delivered in 3-4 days… weirdly split into a Wednesday and Thursday delivery.

2016 Batana Malvasia Bianca, Paul Lato, California - Was browsing the L&W site for something from the US and this caught my eye… would also qualify as weird wine or perhaps aromatic white…
2008 Mastroberardino, Radici Riserva Don Antonio, Taurasi - Also wanted to make sure I had something South Italian, so opted for this, I hope it is decent.
2016 Mas del Perie ‘Bloc B763’ Malbec, Fabien Jouves, Cahors - (Originally bought from The Sampler) This from reserves to fill the regional France shaped hole in my wines at home.
2014 Sposa & Sposa, Heartland Wines, Langhorne Creek, Australia - (TWS purchase) Sadly the last bottle of this, with the Australian tasting in mind.
2017 Weingut Umathum Rosa, Burgenland, Austria - (TWS purchase) Sadly also the last bottle of this, as I am sure there will be a Rosé themed tasting.

I also have a reserves delivery from TWS on the way as in dire need of white wine…

Jean Phillippe Fichet Meursault Case
Bin #004 Furmint 2011

6 Likes

I too have gone for a Malvasia and also wanted a reminder of Sicily and its Catarratto and Carricante blend.
Then for some algorithmic reason, Thelema Chardonnay appeared and, on clicking the “show me all products from Thelema” button, the Elgin CS came up too and both magically and happily jumped into the basket. 20/5/20 is the expected date of delivery though my most recent delivery came a week earlier than promised.

8 Likes

This seems to be an almost generic “next delivery date” on the site at the moment. I’m in an I’ll expect it when I see it on my Mystery Case of DOOM.

3 Likes

This post could easily fit into several other topics. To start here’s the latest AND LAST order for quite some time. Now have all the wine anyone could conceive of needing until at least 2021.
Bottle LO15831 Coteaux du Giennois Rose Domaine de Villargeau 2019 9.50 9.50
1 Bottle RH47531 Syrah Viognier Signe Domaine Cuilleron 2016 14.50 14.50
1 Bottle EN1431A Blackbook Winery Clayhill Vineyard Chardonnay 2018 20.00 20.00
1 Bottle SA15851 Catherine Marshall Pinot Noir on Clay Elgin 2018 16.00 16.00
1 Bottle BJ7791 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly Les Sept Vignes 2017 16.50 16.50
1 Bottle GR1511 Semeli Mantinia Nassiakos 2018 10.95 10.95
1 Bottle IT27321 Ciro Rosso Gaglioppo Santa Venere 2017 ORGANIC 9.95 9.95
1 Bottle FC38661 Corbieres Chateau Ollieux Les Romanis Rose 2019 10.95 10.95
1 Bottle FC38621 Domaine Felines Jourdan Les Fruites Rose IGP Pays d’Herault 2019 6.95 6.95
1 Bottle FC38841 Cotes de Provence Rose Clos de l’Ours 2019 13.50 13.50
1 Bottle FC38811 Coteaux d Aix en Provence Rose Chateau Vignelaure 2019 13.50 13.50
1 Bottle RH56831 Tavel Cuvee Prima Donna Rose Domaine Maby 2019 11.95

This accompanies a fancy pants mixed case plus the latest Ep offering. So yes the community has influenced me to spend more and with greater frequency.

Top conclude I will not be buying anymore wine until next year.

Aside from a couple of whites.

5 Likes

that’s not how you spell week! :wink:

Cracking haul, I have a fair few of those on my wish list!

3 Likes

05/06/20 was the dispatch date, with a further 7 days for the carrier to get to me. Sorry, but I’m not going to wait until the 14th June for a delivery. I told my dad I would order a case for him and he is running low, so I placed an order through a European website, who can get to me this month at least.

A load of cheap Nebbiolo and some valpollicella for dad and and few interesting bottles for me.

1 Foradori Teroldego Lezèr 2019
1 Cà dei Frati Lugana Brolettino 2018
2 Cà dei Frati Lugana I Frati 2019
2 Cà dei Frati Rosa dei Frati 2019
1 F. Principiano Dosset
1 Gianatti Giorgio Valtellina Sup. Grumel…
1 Foradori Teroldego Sgarzon 2018
1 Terlano Chardonnay 2019
1 Terre Nobili Donn’Eleonò 2018
1 Terre del Barolo Langhe Nebbiolo 2017
5 Valentina Cubi Il Tabarro 2015
1 Il Chiosso Ficorosso
1 Foradori Teroldego Morei 2018
1 Calcarius Nù Litr Rosa 2018
1 Plozza Rosso di Valtellina 2014
1 Rovellotti Morenico 2017
1 Graci Etna Rosato 2018
1 Mirù Colline Novaresi Nebbiolo 2016

11 Likes

Nom! There’s some real treats there!

2 Likes

Pataille Marsannay 2016 - case of to reserves. Still at EP price + duty and VAT, and it’s a rare chance to drink proper red burgundy at under £25 a bottle. If the restrictions on mixed cases I might just draw it down and drink it all over the summer!

3 Likes

I’ve had 1 bottle of my 6 bought EP and can confirm it’s delicious and drinking nicely already!

I notice there are 8 bottles of this available:

I’m posting here so hopefully someone else will buy them, to stop myself putting 6 in reserves…

5 Likes