01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is in your basket January to February 2020

basket

My first basket, an order for two bottles, was checked out at Lea and Sandeman this year. The wines were waiting patiently on our doormat when we arrived back from Hungary this morning.

Too many intriguing mentions of Deiss on this community I suppose… I will give them some rest and will open something else that I have beenmissing the two weeks while away.

New year’s resolutions… will be slightly more cautious after the epic fail last year and will rather draw up some wider guidelines for myself for 2020 with regards to wine purchasing.

1 To not increase the overall number of bottles in my cellar when comparing year end 2019 to year end 2020.
2. To balance my cellar, now skewed to red Rhône and Burgundy and the 2021-2025 drinking bracket…
3. To decrease the average cost per bottle in my cellar by the end of the year.

Two out of three is a success…

What is on your basket at the start of this year?

I like the first two of those aims and should try to go along with all three.
As one gets older it is (for me) easier to buy wine so one can easily increase stocks when there are fewer days left in which to drink them.
I don’t worry too much about my skew towards red Rhône but I realise I am increasing my Italian percentage. The more diversification I have the better for my friend who prefers to drink Rioja but does find some other wines are acceptable to her taste!
My average cost per bottle is increasing but this is the aim I am not too fussed about. I have always bought the majority of my wines on the continent hence lowering my average costs but I am going to reduce TWS en primeur purchases and just buy what I want when I need it at lower prices. I feel en primeur has become a ‘racket’ and when one allows for storage costs it isn’t worth it unless one is buying a significantly highly priced wine.

To answer the original question, I have already taken delivery of two cases of Barbera d’Asti from the TWS new year offer. Far better value than the Rhônes I have in storage from en primeur purchases!

You went for it, then, @szaki1974! As probably the chief mentioner of Deiss, I look forward to hearing what you make of them :slight_smile:

Despite it being dry January for me. A last order before the 31st of Jan…

440 EUR = 375 GBP

Scaling back the purchases after this!

Keen to know how the “elevated” 2010 Ardanza is drinking, pleases let us know when you try it :wink::+1:.

Will do. Although the Wine Society has it as “Lay Down” for 2010 https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/VintageChart.aspx so not in a rush to check. Have also a few https://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/ProductDetail.aspx?pd=SP15051 to benchmark it against. https://www.bbr.com/products-60341-2010-gran-reserva-904-la-rioja-alta-rioja-spain indicates “The 2010 vintage arrives in an altogether more stoic and refined fashion than last year’s instantly ravishing 2009.”

Current basket looks like this. Not very balanced at the moment, bit of a work in progress as the average bottle price is way higher than I’d like. Will probably have to sacrifice a few of the more expensive bottles that I hope will still be instock for my next order. All new to me except the Newton Johnson Pinot Noir, which I enjoyed towards the end of last year.

Very curious to know what your epic fail was last year and there’s one very enjoyable way to decrease the average cost per bottle (without increasing the total number of bottles) but for me:

1. Still not updated my records following the somewhat savage Christmas and New Year consumption, but strongly suspect the total will increase (from my fairly modest current cellar). I’m comfortable with this, but need additional storage provision so will have to stack my racks or keep scouring Ebay for another wine cave/hidey-hole.

2. To try and be a bit more targeted in my purchases and try and keep one or more for the future where appropriate. I’m still buying wine like an excitable puppy - there’s always something new and delicious that grabs my attention so I almost exclusively only buy 1 of anything. Obviously my basket above decries this ambition, but hey, I’ve got until December to turn it around, right?

3. Go to more tastings. Monthly fun at the Winery is not enough. I have booked myself onto 3 TWS tastings for the first quarter:

• Bite-size (Germany) in January
  • Taste the New List with my sister and her husband, brand new TWS members (thought this would be a good introduction) in February
  • Rhone growers walkaround in March

Looking forward to seeing the tastings calendar for 2020 Q2 and get myself along to a few more.

Love your description - exactly how I feel sometimes! Trying to be more of a slightly grown up puppy this year. More tastings though is always a good idea.

Which date did you book?

The Tuesday (London), are you going?

I’m going to that one too! There has been talk of a BYO dinner at Hawksmoor afterwards…

Yes, same.

Gaah! Just checked my account - I’ve actually booked Monday. Not sure why but suspect the Tuesday clashed with something for my wife.

I’ve just put together the order for our annual family weekend away in late January. This year we’re holing up near Petersfield and are looking forward to enjoying the following:

Your Order

Matetic Corralillo Casablanca Valley Riesling 2017 Code: CE10171In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £9.50 £9.50
Wither Hills Marlborough Chardonnay 2016 Code: NZ10301In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £8.95 £8.95
Raats Original Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch 2018 Code: SA14301In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £8.50 £8.50
The Society’s Beaujolais-Villages 2018 Code: BJ7901In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £7.95 £7.95
Massif d’Uchaux, Vieilles Vignes, Chateau de Saint Esteve 2011 Code: RH40741In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £14.95 £14.95
Chianti Classico, Filetta di Lamole 2016 Code: IT27551In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £20.00 £20.00
Thymiopoulos Rapsani Terra Petra 2017 Code: GR1601In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £22.00 £22.00
Côtes du Roussillon Villages, Vallée de l’Arago 2017 Code: FC35451In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £7.95 £7.95
Greco Basilicata Le Ralle, Alovini 2017 Code: IT26361In Stock
Coteaux du Layon Saint Aubin, Domaine Cady 2018 Code: LO15381In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £13.95 £13.95
Gattinara, Torraccia del Piantavigna 2015 Code: IT27821In Stock
1 x Bottle(s) at £20.00 £20.00
Warner’s Corner Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon 2016 Code: AU19911In Stock

New fine wine list will probably be linked on the website soon… till then some weekend reading

This also caught my eye… I have put it in the basket to check out when the 2010 Trevallon (:heart:) comes online.

That reading list must be tempting you to break your NY resolution.
I like the mischief corner and the Margaret River piece. A lovely part of the world.
I will resist this time, safe in the knowledge that our wine society will always bring temptations in the future. I will control my FOMO…

The main temptation is Trevallon for me… then would need to push the order over £75. Vasse Felix Chardonnay maybe and this Alsace white would do the trick. That would help with average cost of cellar, too.

Actually the Vasse Felix Cab Sauv would be an interesting buy for reserves given 2016 is my son’s birth year and his name is Felix.

Looks like it’s up:

Oh man those 2010s look good. Hopefully they’ll sell out before I can get round to ordering any.