01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is in your basket [January and February 2022]

I just cancelled an order, for the first time ever. Between placing it and anticipated delivery I had a large Reserves delivery - so large that I couldn’t fit it into the available storage, and anticipating the size of my Reserves bill next month, I fell on my sword - or rather a few bottles of cheap rioja, plus some of that not-so-cheap white burgundy that appeared recently, fell on their swords.

Then that assyrtiko and new Cubillo vintage appeared, which I really did not need right now. Let’s see if I can hold out till after the Reserves bill… Thank god we’re not doing dry January, should clear some space.

Jim

12 Likes

Is it a trick of the light, or do those Danbury Ridge bottles have a rather unusual indented design? Am also curious to hear how that pinot noir tastes; I have one bottle in reserves with The Big English Wine Adventure Mixed Case, but no rush.

I’m currently contemplating these, but not fully committed yet:

Decisions, decisions…

7 Likes

Sharp eyes. No trick of the light, there are grooves (or indeed ridges, if you like) running down the sides of the Danbury Ridge bottles. Bit unnecessary but not displeasing.

1 Like

Significant birthday coming up in few days, so this mixed case I laid down a few years ago for just this occasion has arrived:

While my tastes have changed in the intervening time, I’m still very happy with the selection. Especially pleased to have the Muga, which has almost doubled in price and is now out of range. The Aussie Shiraz is the one I may not have chosen now, but I’m really looking forward to trying these now they’ve had a bit of time to settle down. One a year for the next 4 years I think.

Now looking at cellar-worthy options to tuck away for the next 10 years. Looking to address the red/white imbalance, this is the current basket. Very much pushing my budgets, but the option to store 6 just about makes it acceptable (I tell myself)…

18 Likes

I think you’ll be very happy to withdraw that in 10 or so years time

1 Like

That’s my rationale, a present to my future self!

1 Like

Hope the Muga is good for your birthday. The case looks a great mix.

Muga GR now 52 EUR from decantalo even for internal mainland spain delivery! Not all price doubling must be down to Brexit.

Have they done something to it to justify it? I don’t think their Torre Muga has undergone the same price rise at all (was more expensive to start)

3 Likes

Thanks - the Muga is the real result. I was due to be off to San Sebastien for the weekend, but Omicron put paid to that. So it’s dinner at an appropriately themed restaurant instead, and I’ll be taking a few of these along.

9 Likes

Sorry to hear! Can’t wait to be back in San Sebastien. Whether it’s Asador grills, Pintxos or one of the Michelin venues. Always great food and drink.

Good to hear you’ll be making up for it with those Muga GRs in a similarly themed restaurant here

3 Likes

What a shame … Havr a great birthday none the less …. Where do you fly to for San Sebastien ?

2 Likes

There are a few options, but Bilbao the main one. I’m sure we’ll get it back in the diary at some point soon!

2 Likes

Last time I went I flew to Biarritz which worked pretty well (we stayed there for a few days too, which I can’t particularly recommend. The food was amazing, the town wasn’t!). It was a half hour on the bus which cost about 5€ each way.

2 Likes

Can we change this forum title to what’s in your suitcase ……I’m sure there are plenty of Tory mp members ….

8 Likes

Hmmm speaking of which, what’s the best wine to bring to a BYO garden party at no 10 in lockdown? :thinking::man_facepalming:t2::exploding_head:

3 Likes

Whatever is on offer in Westminster Tesco metro? If you’re buying by the suitcase you don’t want to go over budget.

Edit: change TWS to Tesco. Does it look like I type TWS a lot?

4 Likes

I don’t think budget or taste is a factor. One option could Ace of Spades champagne?

4 Likes

how many bottles can you fit into a suitcase? That is the big question? And are bordeaux bottles, Alsace flute bottles or burgundy style bottles best?

Actually, I’m thinking of a Nebuchadnezzer Bag in Box - just take away the cardboard, cut a hole in the side of the suitcase for the tap, and you are all set for a long, hard work meeting

9 Likes

Alsace at a Tesco Metro? It’s probably 36 bottles of Yellow Tail in a suitcase!

5 Likes

8 Likes

I bet the bouncy castle and clowns have been booked for Boris’ leaving do. A lot of the clowns won’t be in costume mind you!

1 Like