01438 741177         thewinesociety.com

What is in your basket [January and February 2022]

Many thanks @Rafa and @willrcwyatt . Sold, as they say :grinning:

1 Like

My one and only purchase (EP doesn’t count!) this month (or so I tell myself), including my first Barolo. Super excited to try. Looks like there were some new wines added this afternoon too - which is where the Barolo, Greywacke SB and two SA Syrah’s came from.

13 Likes

Picked up a few bottles of the (presumably Museum Release) white burgundy that’s come online in the past few days. Being guided by a copy of the newest edition of Jasper Morris’ inside Burgundy which I got for Christmas. Potentially looking at picking up some Montille or Marc Colin Saint Aubin soon if any other interesting wines come online soon to pad out my basket.

11 Likes

I do not need any more wine, so have been only half-heartedly reading the emails about various Burgundy EP campaigns, but a BBX bid placed last summer has unexpectedly succeeded in giving me a case of 2014 Alión, Ribera del Duero… so 2022 wine spend is now off the mark!

15 Likes

A great buy!

1 Like

Restocking whites and a couple of red burgundies - I keep trying to find red burgundies I like and I think these are two highly recommended growers so fingers crossed.

6 Likes

Something to look forward to.

8 Likes

A small order combined with a delivery from reserves.

10 Likes

I recently had the 2016 Saint-Joseph Silice, Domaine Coursodon. It was very easy to drink and delicious. I think it was the same price too, so good to see that holding.

4 Likes

Some whites to spend a bit of time out of sight.

Must say, I like this option of being able to add boxes of 6 to reserves.

15 Likes

Is this a new thing? Only, I’ve only ever stored my EP wines with TWS - because of the 12 bottle thing, and because generally a 12 bottle purchase for me these days is usually for drinking nowish. If they’re accepting 6’s, this may be a whole new ballgame for me (and welcome!).

3 Likes

I think so. And unannounced

Edit: a marvellous way to spend less (but more) money.

9 Likes

I made a very similar comment somewhere else. I’m really happy about it, but it really does open up a whole new set of wallet damaging options.

4 Likes

Mixed (DIY) cases of 6 to reserves? :face_with_monocle::thinking:

Give it a try. Seems to have worked for me. I saw it done with halves of wines that come in 12s so thought I should try it this way too

1 Like

I’ve taken advantage of the reduced prices to buy a dozen Ode d’Aydie Madiran for the Winter Drinking Red Wine Pipeline, to be drunk at some point between 2023 and 2028. Possibly during a winter storm, whilst tucking into something slowly stewed and high in saturated fat.

Keeping with the south west France theme, I’ve also picked up the Saint-Mont Les Vignes Retrouvées 2018. I know that I rather like the pineapple-y vibrant in-yer-face dry whites of this region, but I don’t know if my co-drinker in our house does. There’s only one way to find out!

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/madiran-ode-daydie-2017

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/saint-mont-les-vignes-retrouvees-2018

9 Likes

I don’t think either of you will be disappointed

1 Like

Yep, I ordered 6 bottles last night, 2x2 + 2x1 and had the option of sending to reserves, which pleasantly surprised me as I was expecting delivery to be the only option.

3 Likes

Do we know what the storage fee is for these cases of 6? Do we pay the full per-case fee for each part case, or do two cases of 6 equate to one of 12?

Jim

I think the cost is based on the total number of bottles in reserve and you pay the rate per 12 bottles. If you have 9 bottles you’d pay 9 twelfths of the fee. Someone will probably tell me I’m wrong but that’s how I look at it. Never really an issue as I have a few multiples of 12 in reserve :rofl:

2 Likes